Fuel economy

I have had the Td5 110 for a couple of weeks now and have done over 1000 miles. In that time I have measured the fuel economy over 2 tanks of fuel, one was mostly motorway driving from Wiltshire to Cambridge and then down to Sussex and I got 29.9mpg. The second tank was a good (typical?) mix of A-roads, motorways and urban driving with a couple of green-lanes thrown in too and I got (just) 32mpg. There are no chips or other mods to mine.

When Td5s first came out there was a lot of grumbling from folk who were getting mid 20s or even less. Mine is getting loads more per gallon than my Tdi 90 which does mid 20s or 30odd if I drive like a saint. I think the best ever was 32mpg, and the worst I ever recorded was 17mpg - on the A303.

During our trip to the Pyrenees this spring JST managed 36mpg on one tank in his Td5 90 with a chip and overdrive (and BFG muds) - although he was driving very sensibly following me and Mo Murphy at about 60 on SuperDiesel on French autoroutes. :) That is the best I know about. The worst? TJ101 and Mark90 getting 7mpg while greenlaneing in Wales. :o

So, what I would like to know is what engine do you have, what mpg do you get typically and what is your best/worst ever recorded? Especially keen to hear from '07 MY owners.

Real answers only please, not "well, the fuel gauge went down half a tank and I did 300 miles so that means 45mpg - but the second half of the tank only did 12mpg." Proper measurement only please!

Cheers

Chris

i just got a td5 (standard) so have been watching it quite close. was initialy getting 25-26, but put a course of redex in it and get about 29-30. my best is 31.5mpg. what is the best way to drive to get the best mpg. i dont over rev or go above 50. is there any other tips

p

Best for 4.6 P38 (1998)

12.2L/ 100Km

Worst

16.4L/ 100Km

Not counting offroad.

How on earth do you get so low????? :blink:

I'm happy if I can keep it at 18l/100km! :ph34r:

On topic, my TD5 90 did about 9-10l/100km, mixed roads and off-road, on 255/85 Muds (actual mileage, GPS km vs l at the pump, consistent for about 20k miles), which works out to 29 to 31 MPG. With the 37" tires and a lot of offroad I get 23 MPG.

The worst? TJ101 and Mark90 getting 7mpg while greenlaneing in Wales. :o

I once got 17mpg out of the 90 following Tim in his camper over to 7S doing about 50-55mph.

My 200tdi 110 used to give 27+/-1 mpg out of just about every tank. Worst was 24mpg but that was towing and best was 29mpg, never did get it over 30mpg. No fuel tweeks.

Pug 106 gives 45mpg out of every tank and that's driving it like I stole it. No point going easy if I get 45mpg driving it like I do :D

How on earth do you get so low????? :blink:

I'm happy if I can keep it at 18l/100km! :ph34r:

Even though it is an auto, I still use the gear selection especially for

accelerating and decelerating before braking/ junctions etc.

Hold it in 2/3 accelerate hard to 80/90/ 100Km/h and put in drive.

The speed limit here helps as well as max speed is only 100Km/h.

2005 TD5 90 hardtop, 255/85 16 MT's and lots of weight added :rolleyes: , the lowest it's got down to is about 22-23mpg off-road, on road averages around 25-27mpg depending road types

2005 TD5 110 SW, 235 85 16 M+S tyres, with Overdrive and aircon. No matter what type of driving it tends to average 27mpg

The 4.0l V8 50th used to average about 13.5mpg and down to 6-7mpg at a playsite. Sometimes you could get close to 15mpg on motorway journey.

Cheers

Steve

110 300Tdi CSW with pump tweak and K&N etc; 265/75 BFG At's; mostly me driving and a 30 mile round trip each day; 50% motorway gets 30mpg.

I have seen 33mpg but that was being very careful. Worst was 25mpg.

I carry absolutely nothing during the week.

Loaded with camping gear and wifey etc gets 27mpg on average in Summer.

The heavy winter months sees a drop of ~2 to 3mpg as most of my driving is done at night.

Haven't recorded MPG with the new intercooler yet, but my driving style has hardened a bit and I'm driving on motorways a bit faster, plus accelerating quicker. Once I've got over the euphoria, I'd say the same MPG figures, if driven with restraint.

Chris, just amazed how you get the figures !! :o

OK, so far not to impressed with the 07 Defender, (front winch + large Patriot rack) inc approx 65% towing, First 1000 or so returned near 22mpg (? running in ?) but the last 5/600, again inc a good percentage towing is now down to 19.3 !!! :blink:

On previous 110 TD5 (again with the same rack on + running a PSI tuning box) and 60-70% of the time towing, never could get much over 22-23, always came out at about 290 miles to a tank !!

With the Sport, (4.4 V8, rack,winch, heavy gear !!) best was the Pyrenees trip 21.7 overall, But as Chris says, was on a economy drive in convoy with the Defenders !! overall around the 18mpg mark

Chris, just amazed how you get the figures !! :o

OK, so far not to impressed with the 07 Defender, (front winch + large Patriot rack) inc approx 65% towing, First 1000 or so returned near 22mpg (? running in ?) but the last 5/600, again inc a good percentage towing is now down to 19.3 !!! :blink:

On previous 110 TD5 (again with the same rack on + running a PSI tuning box) and 60-70% of the time towing, never could get much over 22-23, always came out at about 290 miles to a tank !!

Tim are you wearing divers boots

my TD5 was with out fail over 350 miles to at best 380 a tank

my TDCi 2.4 is 330 to 345 a tank at present but the td5 went up after after first service

dan

Even though it is an auto, I still use the gear selection especially for

accelerating and decelerating before braking/ junctions etc.

Hold it in 2/3 accelerate hard to 80/90/ 100Km/h and put in drive.

The speed limit here helps as well as max speed is only 100Km/h.

I usually shift when decelarating, not when accelerating. Speed limit over here is 120 km/h, with me often cruising at 130 km/h.

I'm also running on LPG, which doesn't help. And since replacing the DT with the 4.6 V8 I have been know to push the throttle just a bit harder... :ph34r:

THX for the tips though! :)

39.3 is my best but only over 90 miles so not a real test. i get 350 miles a tank from my 90 (60L tank) as a rough guide.

driving to work for a week aprrox 32/33mpg (50/60 most of the way)

overdrive and chipped.

towing Puggys vapour truck from taunton to tiverton and then to Cullumpton came to 27mpg. ((but then it was an imaginary load......)

i reckon on 30mpg without fail for the td5.

tdi (255/85s MT about 25/26mpg, FEDIMAS - 18/19mpg)

Guest diesel_jim

My old 110 CSW works 110 Td5 used to give around low 20's, usually 18~19mpg, it was, undeniably, a pile of pants.

although saying that, i'm a service engineer, so usually in a hurry to get from A to B to the next job.

my shogun i've got now, 3.2 4cyl diesel, on the motorway doing 70 (ish, give or take 15mph) gives 27. (and i can hear myself think!)

The 110 i'm building i'm going to stick a 1.2:1 transfer box in it, see how that helps.

300TDI 90 best 28mpg- worst 12mpg(after alisport wound the fuel to max) now does 22mpg regularly

TD5 110 best 29mpg worst 22mpg fast motorway (towing a pikey wagon 18mpg)

Vals current car 47mpg on the M5 to Oxford and back 40mpg around town 2.5 Diesel 20valve superb engine

90H 110 CSW 200TDi (with roof rack and 235/85R16s)

Unladen

With TracEdges - av 30.5mpg

With AllTerrain T/As - av 31.5mpg

Laden (500kg plus loads)

With TracEdges - av 28.5mpg

With AllTerrain T/As - av 29.3 mpg

Towing 1.5 tonnes of trailer and sheep/pigs

With TracEdges - av 24.9mpg

With AllTerrain T/As - av 26.5 mpg

93K 110 hardtop 200TDi (with roof rack and 235/85R16s)

Unladen

With TracEdges - av 29.4mpg

With Commercial T/As - 31.7mpg

Laden (500kg plus loads)

With TracEdges - av 28.5mpg

With Commercial T/As - av 29.8 mpg

Towing 1.5 tonnes of trailer and sheep/pigs

With TracEdges - av 25.1mpg

With Commercial T/As - av 27.1 mpg

Worst was 19.5mpg in the hardtop, but that included a lengthy spell of shifting granite boulders across a cut-up field. Using the Defender to tow harrows, 10ft logs and pig huts sees fuel use rise as bit, as does pulling out stumps and old strainer posts.