Wheels on Army 'Defenders'.

British in Afghanistan use these wheels on their Landrovers!

Does anybody know where you might be able to get your hands on a set of 5?

Look more like alloys than steels

_42775989_landrover416_pa.jpg

610x.jpg

Edited by western
2 threads merged.

Hi Mark,

those are alloy wheels made in Italy from one of ours partners.

My boss had a batch custom made for Suzuki who run Baja-type comps here,

but the price is scary!!

:blink:

Spot on!

Blindo.

What is Blindo? Well, it’s Italian for Strong. Bomb Proof. Armoured. You get the idea. It’s very very strong, and with a 1550kg load rating, we think it is the strongest 4x4 alloy wheel that you can buy.

And slightly heavy :huh:

• 5 months later...
No wonder the army can't afford decent protection for the soldiers if they are spanking all their cash on trick alloys for their motors.

I think it's for the load rating,

some 110's, fully armoured and loaded are upto 4.7 tonne,

it's just a bonus they look bling !

I think it's for the load rating,

some 110's, fully armoured and loaded are upto 4.7 tonne,

I think that's a part of it, and also an attempt to reduce the vehicle weight - the WMIKs are very heavy when loaded up.

They are alloys and they are called blindo's.They are rated to about 1700kg. they are sold by Silverline and i believe they designed them and they aren't that expensive.

Steve.

I hate website that won't show a price just call for info etc.

It's not a bloody secret?

I'm glade that this topic was created as I was going to start it myself as I have seen a few of these on the motorway recently.

They look the business at night with the low profile soft top fitted, just like a chopped roof jobbie :P

Marc.

I think that's a part of it, and also an attempt to reduce the vehicle weight - the WMIKs are very heavy when loaded up.

one of the main reasons is to do with the way steel wheel blow apart and alloy dosnt when it runs over a mine not so much weight issues more to do with the fact that mainy injurys are from the vehicle rather than the mine its self

as to the rest of the comment

the kit we get is grate but to heavy even the vehicles are to heavy the current snatch and wmik are still running a standerd 300tdi engine because the army will not upgrade this is even though they have added about 2 tonne of weight and both are now a cat c to drive but with the snatches the older v8s were actualy better the only down side was fuel but the v8 had more power and a better getaway speed, but as for getting way its harder to hit a person on there feet than in a tin box tbh only form of transport i trust are my boots ;)

slightly OT but WMIK was protected by its mobility and firepower capability. they added the armour etc and lost the mobilty and it went downhill from there in my opinion. its now out of its original design spectrum and struggling to cope - ditto Snatch

nothing that was involved with the live demo.

but thursday we didnt finish till gone midnight dragging other dead vehicles all the way back to tidworth!

its a shame all landys dont come with the 50cal would make for an intresting drive!