ibex 300 build

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The plan.

Drive to mother-in-laws towing a trailer. Have a two week holiday. Return with a rusty 110 on said trailer due to it being worth nothing in north uist, but worth stripping for parts down south.

Reality.

The first two parts went swimmingly. In fact we got off the ferry at uig (Skye) and drove into the night through the highlands down to loch lomond. Grab a couple of hours kip. Up at 4am continue south. Pull into Gretna services for fuel etc. This is where it all goes sideways quickly.....one of the trailer wheels isn't supposed to be at that angle.... on closer inspection the bearing has disintegrated. After a 4 hour wait (first aa van was about 30mins) and unloading the rusty 110 from the trailer. Both trailer and 110 are still in Scotland on a flatbed taxi due back here on Wednesday. So considerably lighter but still with the back loaded to the roof and our 16ft canoe on the roof rack. We are now running 4 hours late, we brim the tank and go for it two stints of 227 and 105 miles nigh on flat out we are home in 6.5 hours.

The ibex towed superbly yes we were very slow in the highlands with the 110 on. But it was dark, late and chucking it down with rain so I took it nice and steady. The temp never moved off mid way even when I could smell how hot the turbo was. Yes it was definitely overgeared and we were down to 25mph on two occasions and didn't top 45mph till we got back down to motorways where we made it up to 55mph. Sole we were pushing 70mph most of the way and returning 26mpg.

Happy man (Till the trailer gets back anyway).

Mike

• Like 2

I love the aa because the only other option I was considering was try to find bearings locally tomorrow (would mean staying up there and missing work tomorrow). Then fitting it and driving home as soon as it was done. Not a great prospect with wife and two kids.

Mike

You need to build up a network of friends around the country Mike. Unfortunately James (@Retroanaconda) has moved further north but he used to be not that far away. My nan's is unfortunately just down the road near Invermorriston but there'd have been space to dump it there.

Now it's deer stalking season it's likely I'll be up and down a fair bit so could have helped getting it further south. But AA is a much simpler option :hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...

The trailer has been Mike'd. I mean, why is it that whenever you post on any thread it involves something mechanical that's been goosed.

It doesn't matter what the subject is, get Mike involved and you can guarantee Carnage.

Good morning anyway.:SVAgoaway:

Daan

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daan said:

The trailer has been Mike'd. I mean, why is it that whenever you post on any thread it involves something mechanical that's been goosed.

It doesn't matter what the subject is, get Mike involved and you can guarantee Carnage.

Good morning anyway.:SVAgoaway:

Daan

Oi pot kettle cough alternator cough.:banned:

I do have interesting luck but the other thing to remember is both our trucks are daily drivers none of this namby pamby second car lark. Plus my life is incredibly busy so whilst I do maintain my trucks well it could always be better/more frequent. My final defence is I'm on a tight budget so a lot of parts are second hand or repaired. 😜

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of alternators mine was getting a little rumbly so today I upgraded to a Mondeo item. I had to open the back to connect a lead to run my tacho. Fitting is easy, however I will make some sleeves at some point as the holes on the alternator are m10 and the bolts on a 200tdi are m8, but it's on for now. Now because the engine is a disco 200tdi it has a 65amp alternator as opposed to the 45amp job on a defender. But either way the wiring is not man enough to take the 30-90amp Mondeo alternator. So I have replaced the cable from the alternator to the starter with 10mm2 (the cable to battery is 50mm2 anyway). I'm now seeing better voltages at the batterys now too. No photos because shortly after I started it began to rain.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Pops, did something wrong there...

Mike, are there any other dimensional differences with that alternator, especially pulleys and pulley alignment?  I have a 65a alternator on my 200, but want around 100, and this could be a cheap but effective way of doing it.  That said,I don’t have another alternator sitting on a shelf, so it begs the question is there much price difference between a Mondeo unit and a 100a unit that fits without faff?  My wiring is already set for it.