The EBay Christ I fancy that 4x4 + its cheap thread

Not familiar with that scam but that would make sense. Can't say I saw it further down the listings ( higher prices) though. It would make the strange email exchange understandable.

If you frequent facebook have a look at this page https://www.facebook.com/groups/GroupEVSA/?fref=nf it will show you how much of a problem it is.

There are a lot of people who have fallen for the scams and tend to lose 5000-6000 each.

My guess is the one you looked at would have been around the 4-5k price.

My initial thought that if it looks too good to be true etc. was right then. That makes me feel better. I was very happy to have walked away until I saw it tonight on the Rossendale listing and then I stupidly thought that they had bought it and marked it up somewhat. Now I feel like a stupid middle-aged old git.

Yes you are right it was offered at 4K delivered.

That's the key part 'delivered', they will come up with 101 convincing reasons as to why you can't come and see it and they have to deliver it. All to get you to transfer your money to their account at which point you will never hear from them again.

The price is low so you act quickly without thinking so you don't miss the bargain.

You can of course get revenge on them, if you pretend you are going through with the purchase get the bank details from them. Then you can report their bank account which will get suspended and may lose them previously scammed money. Obviously if you are going to do this use a throwaway email address and false name.

These listings are nearly always on stolen ebay accounts, you'll see an account that normally has never sold any vehicles will suddenly have 10 or 20 cars/motorhomes/boats for sale, that's another alarm bell.

The accounts are normally stolen by dodgy ebay listings that have embedded javascript that does a redirect to a cloned eBay page on a different server which then prompts you to login again, but obviously you are giving your details to a criminal at this point.

PS Don't feel stupid, you've still got 4K and they haven't ;)

There's a lot of plant on at 2k buy it now ATM, there's a square cab unimog for 2k that was on as a legitimate sale about a month ago, I looked out of interest and the buying options were not right.

My old boss fell for a similar scam where crooks took out a full page advert in plant trader as hewdens the hire firm, a mini digger at a reasonable price with sound enough reasons for sale, extra £150 for delivery next time a wagon was coming our way. After contact couldn't be raised we we sat in the local cop shop when another bloke walked in clutching the same copy of plant trader....

Will.

There's a dodgy used engine dealer on eBay as well, he never supplies the engines just happily takes £1500 a time off customers. One victim was told by the bank that he'd had 3 payments of £1500 that week already ..... so it's obviously worth their while.

Muddy/Will there has been some success in recovering victims money by pursuing the receiving bank using the anti money laundering rules. The guy that goes by the name of Jack Buster (on facebook) claims to have a 100% recovery rate. He's currently not accepting new cases due to a backlog but will start again in a couple of months.

That car was listed on eBay on the 7th, 8th and 10th of feb so far, most likely a scam. I had 41 scam listings on eBay deleted today, it's quite an industry at the moment.

Seems like you are working hard to help clean-up the listings. Thank you!

PS Don't feel stupid, you've still got 4K and they haven't ;)

Yes well as I said, I did think that it was suspicious and only later I looked back and thought maybe it wasn't!

A lesson learnt and I hope there are other in-experienced eBayers who will read this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thats a good truck in theory, in practice hes had to modify the chassis and i doubt he's iva'd it so its not road legal.

If it was bobbed over twenty years ago, it pre-dates the no mods to the frame rules so shouldn't need an IVA to be legal.