New doors

reb78

I'd suggest Ashtree would be worth a look. They're probably cheaper than genuine new doors, despite being galvanised so you don't need to worry about doing it again. There have been adverse comments on the forum about some other after-market new doors, though that seemd limited to issues over cracking of rear doors around the spare wheel mount.

Scrapyards are sometimes worth a shot, if you're lucky you could find a set.

Beyond that it's either run the eBay gauntlet of stolen or overly-expensive (or both) doors, aftermarket ones (which have their own issues as you point out) or repair your own.

Another option would be to buy another set that are still in need of repair but not so far gone as yours and repair those. That was my plan anyway.

Scrapyards are sometimes worth a shot, if you're lucky you could find a set.

Beyond that it's either run the eBay gauntlet of stolen or overly-expensive (or both) doors, aftermarket ones (which have their own issues as you point out) or repair your own.

Another option would be to buy another set that are still in need of repair but not so far gone as yours and repair those. That was my plan anyway.

I think we can guarantee your replacement second row doors are not stolen ...... :)

My advice would be whatever you decide to do, steer well clear of pattern doors. Better to buy later 2nd hand genuine doors than brand new pattern doors.

I bought 2 spanking new pattern doors for my 110, only to discover that they were a good half inch shorter than my old genuine doors. Got them replaced by the company i bought them from for another pair. Exactly the same!! Ended up demanding a full refund (which thankfully i got without too much hassle).

In the end i bought some very late steel-type doors for the same amount of money. These filled the holes their supposed to fit into nicely!

Well I better add my 2cents, seeing as it was me who had the issue with the SP landrover rear door in that previous tread.

I have since bought a drivers side door from SPL and have been very please with it , lined up with no problems and has a heavier gauge skin too.

I have a gen LR round top door on the passenger side, will probably last longer, as its galvanized...but to be honest the SP door closes with more of solid clunk than the LR one, seals better around the window door frame too. You do need to waxoil the inside of the steel frame on the SP one tho..

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

About 4 years ago I replaced mine with 2nd hand but good 06 doors off a Td5. They have been good and had little rust when bought. Recently I had them apart again for a respray and I have found rust starting to develop!! Not critical but a bit of a disappointment.

Anyway, if you were to go 2nd hand genuine I'd be suggest getting the even later type of door, with a pressed frame and steel skin (you can then also fit the much improved lower door seal). I reckon they are much better with inherently less rust problems. The post 02 (pressed with steel skin) rear door I also got at the same time is still pretty much rust free today. Then you get a genuine door that will fit well - possibly still worth a bit of dintrol under the card though!

My doors on my 1989 110 are falling apart. The rear two doors are in a very poor state. Frames very rusty and Ali skin corroded.

I don't think repair is really worth my time. Where have you chaps got new doors from??

hi ,,are your old ones the lift up handle ones ?

I bought fibreglass ones but haven't got round to fitting them yet, they are very light and seem pretty well made but we'll see what the fits like when I get round to it!

mike where did you get them from ,, they sound good ,,and ya don't have to worry bout rust ever again ,,did they cost much ?

exactly! owning land rovers for the past 11 years has given me a pathological hatred of rust! I got mine from ama, www.amaservices.biz, they are about £250 each which is what a decent 2nd hand metal door is on eBay

Mike

that's not a bad price at all ,,same here ive seen 2nd hand doors going for more than that on bay