Black or Yellow Calipers?

Yellow or Black Calipers?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Yellow or Black Calipers?

• Yellow
    • Black

Calipers are kindly being delivered to Bigg Red for me....so I need to choose a colour.

I've been trying to decide between Yellow or Black and I thought I had come to a decision: Black. However I'm now having other thoughts.

So Black, or Yellow?

Car is going to be Coniston green, black cage/bumpers/chassis, off-white HD Wolf steel wheels. Everything else under the car is going to be understated and therefore black, even the non-standard bits.

Difficult question, I'll give it some deep thought.

....I can't believe caliper colours are being discussed on here :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

What's next, deep discussions about what would be a suitable contrasting colour for the stitching on a puce leather covered dashboard, door cards and cubby box? :unsure:;)

• Like 1

....a bit dirty and heated through use ?

mission slide ?

com'n Ross just get on with it . Don't get stuck in the detail just enjoy rebuilding it and Then Using It

After 4 yrs to build my 109 and get it on the road one trip out to a P&P and it looked the same as everyone else's

.....mine was everything black 11yrs ago but now would do it all grey - easier to see any oil that shouldn't be there

Steveb

....a bit dirty and heated through use ?

mission slide ?

com'n Ross just get on with it . Don't get stuck in the detail just enjoy rebuilding it and Then Using It

After 4 yrs to build my 109 and get it on the road one trip out to a P&P and it looked the same as everyone else's

.....mine was everything black 11yrs ago but now would do it all grey - easier to see any oil that shouldn't be there

Steveb

It's not mission slide Steve.... Its all the little details that combine to set the quality of a rebuild. Things done properly won't degrade that quickly.

STOP BEING SUCH A FECKIN TART ROSS!!!

Honestly, I can't believe this is of that much importance, unless of course you want your truck to look quite ridiculous.

A Defender is no truck to be ragging round Halfords car park in on a Saturday night...

• Like 2

agreed Ross , that's why in 11 yrs on (and off in the mud) the road with my 109 all I've had to do is one clutch change , a brake servo and m/c

oh and one rear stub axle and wheel brg , seal land grooved = buggered brg and stub axle . All ordinary stuff over the 100k miles it's done .

I know your build will be done right :) , that's clear from all the stuff you've already done ;)

....but what colour calipers ? we have to poke you fella that's the law :lol:

cheers

Steveb

Black 0hp improvement

Yellow 5hp improvement

Red got to be at least 10hp

Now if you want to go tart I'd suggest gold

It all wears off in a few years of grime and salt anyway but brembo or willwood tend to like red and yellow and you can normally see the calipers on a Farrari or 911 will you see them with your rims or not and more importantly will they blend in with the shocks and bushes?

You won't see much through wolf rims

Always liked red driving members myself on a series. Each to their own (or is it red bolt heads?)

Mine are black but that will wear off fast and be rust coloured in no time

Black 0hp improvement

Yellow 5hp improvement

Red got to be at least 10hp

Now if you want to go tart I'd suggest gold

It all wears off in a few years of grime and salt anyway but brembo or willwood tend to like red and yellow and you can normally see the calipers on a Farrari or 911 will you see them with your rims or not and more importantly will they blend in with the shocks and bushes?

You won't see much through wolf rims

Always liked red driving members myself on a series. Each to their own (or is it red bolt heads?)

Mine are black but that will wear off fast and be rust coloured in no time

The paint won't be coming off in a long time if they're done properly as these will be ;)

The problem I had was getting something for the paint to key into

To step back and explain a little I did a drum to caliper conversion on the rear and a vented conversion on the front with new calipers all round. Hence they were supplied with a bzp coating (or it looked that way) and short of stripping the pistons and seals out or tapeing over the pistons and then sandblasting them (highly not recommended IMHO). I could not see a way to get a good key all over including the machined surfaces for my normal paint treatment for steel which is couple of coats of zinga followed by couple of secondary colour coats to protect the zinc. Plus it seems caliper paint is normally a high temp finish. Could try an etch primer or could try phosphoric acid but wouldn't want to go near the pistons or seals. At least with a bit of surface rust it probably aides in providing a key to the machined surfaces