Whats the furthest you have travelled in your Defender

I'll regularly do 500 mile round trips in my 200tdi 110. The RRC seats, overdrive, uprated inter cooler and associated fuelling tweaks all make it more driveable though, to the point it will sit at 85 on the motorway quite happily (quietly).

Julie and I are half way round our annual trip, so far 15,000 kilometres in our 300TDi Disco - the only hiccup so far was a water leak due to the top heater hose wearing away against the brake-line - easily repaired on the road with emergency silicon tape and since replaced. Total expected distance will be around 25,000.

When I bought my LR in London - an ex Vodafone fleet 110 HT, 8 years old 2.5TD (19J) with 110,000 miles on the clock- I drove it back to the Highlands via a stop to collect a vintage motorbike in Kendal which was shoved in the back. We hit a blizzard in the Lakes whilst in Kendal that created havoc with giant snowdrifts and cars abandoned, but I eventually got back onto the motorway and continued.

However it got so bad, and the forecast was even worse for the next few days, that the Police closed it (it was shut for 4 days, with people staying in emergency shelters). Ahem..... except for me. The Police put me off the m'way up an off ramp (which I pulled a few cars up as I went) but at the top there was nothing to stop me going back down the other side, so I naughtily did so back onto the motorway into 2 feet of powder snow and kept driving with a bow-wave of the stuff flying out in front of me all the way back to Fort William where I arrived 10 hours later. There was a pair of monster snow chains supplied with the toolkit for the vehicle and I didn't actually have to use them.

That was a Monday. They dug the last vehicle out on the M74 on Friday morning. 600 miles in dire conditions and no problems, Done it a few times since.

850km from denmark to poland to do a race. The racer on a trailer hauled by a 90" with three rather biggish blokes on the front seats, done in one haul...we did the race (48 hours) and then the next day we took a rather big breath to start the home hauling... :-)

mads

I went to Inverness for new year 5 years ago. Aberdeenshire to Inverness isn't far but the 31st of December 2009 was probably the worst weather I've ever seen, certainly the worst I've driven in.

I had just bought my first td5 in July so it was my first proper test of it. The only issue I had was the water in fuel light came on due to snow being compacted into the bracket round the filter. I'd never seen the light before and had no idea what it was. I pulled over to investigate. Literally two minutes later a helpful knowledgeable chap in a 90 pulled up to help me out and I was on my way in no time.

That for me is the beauty of the Land Rover badge.

Why you'd want to be going beyond 60 in a defender, I've no idea. Yeah you might get the engine tuned and the ratio shortened (lengthened?) so it's nice and quiet but your still in a defender with its 70s steering and 80s suspension.

Since moving to Scotland a few years ago the 900 mile round trip to Sussex and back to visit family has become a fairly regular occurrence. Done quite a few with a big trailer on the back as well. Both me and the vehicle are happiest cruising at about 60 mph, going any faster in a 200Tdi Defender doesn't really appeal!

North of England to Bosnia 11 times

Norway twice

Gibraltar Southern Spain about 6 times

Various trips into europe

Bosnia was towing a 3.5 ton trailer all the others were towing the Sankey overland/trailer.

Plus the odd trip to the supermarket if that counts.

110 300TDI 1995 now with 353000 miles on the engine. Converted to Auto box.

Keith

Thats impressive, seems 60 is a good speed for a defender , i am happy with that and Scotland seems to be a goer for us now. After these posts it doesnt seem that far now.

Defenders from 200 TDI models onwards should be capable of cruising all day at 70, whether you are capable of withstanding the noise and discomfort is another matter!

Defenders from 200 TDI models onwards should be capable of cruising all day at 70, whether you are capable of withstanding the noise and discomfort is another matter!

Reminds me of a trip my brother & I made 25 years ago from Lancashire to Whitby (not that far) in a series 2 with a Perkins...

In preparation for the trip I had fitted a radio cassette, that was time well spent :ph34r:

i took my 300 to the northern tip of norway 5000 mile round trip in 14 days, lots of spining sideways action on snowy mountain roads in finland -53 C at the worst, blown head gasket at the furthest point from home and limped it home, also snapped my rear prop in denmark on my way back