How much help do you get from your dog whilst working in the shed?

KrisDR

Sometimes it's a curse but most of the times it is a blessing to have my dog around when I'm doing stuff in the shed. She's a gun dog (GSP) and while she never went out hunting she loves to sit in the RR's. She can litterally spend all day in the boot, watching what happens around her.

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-21 om 00.40.26.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-21 om 00.40.46.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-21 om 00.41.17.png

Our dogs for the last 40 years are a big part of anything in our lifes - so they love to help out in the workshop and go Greenlaning.

Although Duncan (my Navigator Golden Retriever) did find using the touch screen GPS difficult at times...

10 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Taz loves power tools especially grinders and welders , also anything that sprays.

Mine hates power tools - especially it seems the newer ones with the brushless motors? Maybe they emit ultrasound I thought...

Bot this one and the previous dog must be removed from hte locality if welding though - they seem to have a fascination for the arc, and I would hate for them to get arc-eye...

My boy, Rufus (a Korthals Griffon), has a dog bed permanently bolted into the Disco behind the front passenger seat - in the first photo, however, he's decided to lie in the front seat instead. He goes more or less everywhere with me, but especially loves 'helping' me in the garage while I work on the Defender. He is particularly superb at running off with bundles of cable ties, and makes an excellent job of shredding any cardboard boxes I don't stash away on high shelves. He drives me up the wall with his constant whining, which translates as 'Dad, stop all this fooling around and let's go shooting' - but he's my boy and I love him to bits...

Rufus_0042a.jpg

Rufus_2.jpg

Edited by Paddy_SP

Before we get to the dogs lets put things in order of priority. The beams and brickwork in that garage are stunning.

My wifes dogs like to lie on my legs whilst I'm under a car and chew my trouser legs. Or get the bit of card I've put down to catch oil or put tools and nuts and bolts on and drag it away to rip up scattering the nuts and bolts to all four corners of the garage. They also like to pull bits of tissue out the bin and rip them up meaning I have to walk around picking up bits of soggy tissue. I've also learn't not to leave anything leant up as they usually knock it over whilst investigating it. Also looking directly at things is a big no no as you tend to get a dogs head inbetween my eyes and what I'm trying to see. The ultimate game however is if I take a welding glove off and put it on the bench they love to climb up and grab it then run around the garden with me chasing them. That's super fun! The little rats also jump on the trailer for 'tickle time', then I have to stop work, sit on the trailer and give them a bit of fuss. Progress is usually slow!

Then just to keep my reputation up with the neighbours when I take my wifes dogs for a walk my wifes cat comes along too. I'm the crazy guy everyone points at :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

Before we get to the dogs lets put things in order of priority. The beams and brickwork in that garage are stunning.

My thoughts too.

A 2-door RRC, and a superb barn/garage. Lucky fella 😎 

Not really been working on my car since I got my latest Weimarnaer but my reason for having this breed is that they are like velcro. He goes everwhere with me and is happy to jump in the Disco or the Mini at a moments notice. Will stay in the car waiting for my return.

I'm typing this while she's trying to get hold of one of my slippers. Some really nice dogs, love the Korthals. Thanks for the compliments on the barn. It was built only a few years ago. I could post all details and pictures if somebody is interested. Do we have a show your barn/shed thread?

2 hours ago, KrisDR said:

I'm typing this while she's trying to get hold of one of my slippers. Some really nice dogs, love the Korthals. Thanks for the compliments on the barn. It was built only a few years ago. I could post all details and pictures if somebody is interested. Do we have a show your barn/shed thread?

No pet dog at the moment but I'm working on it :D

Years ago when I was still in the fork lift game I had to go to a farm to have a look at the brakes on their fork lift and whilst working on the fork lift I noticed all my tools was going missing then the farmer shouted over if your looking for your tools look in the dog kennel, turned out the farmers jackrussel kept nicking my tools, cheeky bugger :D

Ours loves to help too - usually by the placement of a cold wet nose on any piece of exposed flesh when you are doing something awkward underneath a vehicle. That and the aforementioned pinching of anything cardboard / paper / gloves / screwdrivers and antics in the garden!

2017-10-22%2015.57.08.jpg?raw=1

9 hours ago, KrisDR said:

Absolutely, pop a thread up in International or Tools and Fabrication.