2 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

How much does a wheel flex during use/abuse? Will this issue rear it's head again?

I will point out standard modulars flex way more than you think, enough to be visible when following. My Mach 5's don't appear to and I doubt Stephen's will due to the beadlock rings.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I will point out standard modulars flex way more than you think, enough to be visible when following. My Mach 5's don't appear to and I doubt Stephen's will due to the beadlock rings.

You don't realise how flimsy standard modulars are until you pick up something like a genuine Wolf rim with ~8mm thick mounting face :blink: but then there's a reason modulars are 30 quid a wheel :lol:

• Like 2

I got a hell of a shock picking up the bare 1 tonne rims or whatever they are on the Sandringham. The tyres it had fitted when I bought it were ridiculous as well, 16 ply. Local woodyard owner took a pair off me for the front of his loader tractor as they were more robust than anything be could find for it :hysterical:. Couple that with the banding they had in case of flats they weren't light. 

8-spokes and Modulars have fairly flat naves, where OEM steel wheels of almost all manufacturers have that concentric concertina pattern.  That is explicitly to stiffen the nave - it’s not just the steel grade or thickness that matters.

• Like 1

All I can say , is I’m glad I don’t have to make my own wheels as well. You’ve shown that even with a reasonable procedure it’s still impossible to control weld distortion. Good work though mate 👍

• Thanks 1

I doubt at the speeds and use Sid will see, wheel flex will be an issue, especially with the beadlock rings etc.

It's funny, just before you made that post I was wondering if you were having any distortion issues, but never actually asked the question before it was answered :D

Tends to be the way with Stephen, he asks a question for some advice. Then just as everyone is thinking about answers and beginning to post them there comes another post from him showing the finished results. :hysterical:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

I doubt at the speeds and use Sid will see, wheel flex will be an issue, especially with the beadlock rings etc.

My thoughts exactly

Regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

Tends to be the way with Stephen, he asks a question for some advice. Then just as everyone is thinking about answers and beginning to post them there comes another post from him showing the finished results. :hysterical:

What can I say @Ed Poore you need to think quicker...........lol

Regards Stephen

• Haha 2

To be honest I did not expect to get away with perfectly symmetrical rims, if it wasn't the fact that the 17" rims are a very neat up to the mog axles, it would not have been an issue, it would also not have been an issue if I wasn't bothered about finished width

On another note the top housing on the mog axle also needs some work as I have had to cut off sections of my 20mm horse shoe caliper mounting brackets to allow the edge of the rim to clear the axle, however that will be a lot easier to sort and probably feature in a future post ( plenty thinking time for you there @Ed Poore .........)Regards

Regards Stephen

• Like 3

Wheels look realy good, Stephen. Do you have a picture with them all mounted to the car yet?

Oh, and my picture of the shortened mog diff was before you had even thought about it!

Daan

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Daan said:

Wheels look realy good, Stephen. Do you have a picture with them all mounted to the car yet?

Oh, and my picture of the shortened mog diff was before you had even thought about it!

Daan

Thank you, not so terrible after all eh..........lol

Not mounted as yet, got called into work so did not get paint on

As for the diff shortening, you need to pass on that thinking speed to @Ed Poore..............lol

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Not a good day today....

When you slip and headbutt a 17" rim.........lol

20240614_183757.thumb.jpg.ebca03aaa0648f03b9a2287a0d723af3.jpg

its about 11/4" long

cleaned up and back working 

regards Stephen 

As someone who would usually take great delight in laughing at you doing something like that.. that looks a right sore one! If it was slightly bigger it could have been a stitches job that! 

7 hours ago, Stinkfloyd said:

As someone who would usually take great delight in laughing at you doing something like that.. that looks a right sore one! If it was slightly bigger it could have been a stitches job that! 

7 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Round here they would just say "bee reet" and carry on (as you did). Nasty though - look after it - you must prevent infection.

9 hours ago, uninformed said:

The joys of tinkering… happens to the best of us mate. Good thing it’s nothing serious. I imagine a cup of tea had you going again 👍

Ti's but a mere scratch.......lol

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1