Thoughts and musings on the new defender

I don't know if anyone has seen No Time To Die but the new Defender doesn't come off at all well. In fact more JLR products get trashed than any other make, and most at the hands of a late 90's Land Cruiser. I cannot fathom why they would have signed off on it.

Did the JLR marketing team stop paying their product placement bills?

• Sad 1

You know what they say about publicity - any publicity is better than no publicity. I doubt the typical punter or target audience for the Defender will care that it gets trashed. The fact it was used in a Bond film is enough.

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

I don't know if anyone has seen No Time To Die but the new Defender doesn't come off at all well. In fact more JLR products get trashed than any other make, and most at the hands of a late 90's Land Cruiser. I cannot fathom why they would have signed off on it.

Did the JLR marketing team stop paying their product placement bills?

You make that sound like a bad thing !

Mo 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I am considering an EV, IMO there's a lot more to buying a V8 than just it's quick.

Personally the PHEV  or EV vs V8 is a simple argument.

Do you want one or not?

As for cost they noved in to the status symbol area years ago which is where fast EVs went straight away. So you can either afford them or not that is their point.

I can't afford either.

• Like 1

Yes, the PHEV is the logical way to go. If only they'd managed to get a proper economical tune in it, so it'd be below 50g CO² here. That's a dealbreaker for taxes.

And the 3T towing I still find silly too. It's not train weight related, so... the motor can't handle it? What?

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Most EVs can't tow more than 500kg it seems.

As I understand it, it's because it absolutely hammers the range.  The higher current you draw from the battery, the shorter it's effective capacity.  The batteries are 'tuned' to deliver the maximum possible range at typical loads.

Add a trailer and you take it well out of this 'sweet spot'.  Hard acceleration does the same, but it's not prolonged so doesn't hammer the range as badly.

So, I think it's more about marketing.  If you advertise that the vehicle is capable of towing, you don't want loads of people reporting on social media that the battery was flat by the time they reached the end of their road.

Range seems to be one of the key indicators for people buying an EV - so you want that to appear as good as it can be, everywhere.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, simonr said:

As I understand it, it's because it absolutely hammers the range.  The higher current you draw from the battery, the shorter it's effective capacity.  The batteries are 'tuned' to deliver the maximum possible range at typical loads.

Add a trailer and you take it well out of this 'sweet spot'.  Hard acceleration does the same, but it's not prolonged so doesn't hammer the range as badly.

So, I think it's more about marketing.  If you advertise that the vehicle is capable of towing, you don't want loads of people reporting on social media that the battery was flat by the time they reached the end of their road.

Range seems to be one of the key indicators for people buying an EV - so you want that to appear as good as it can be, everywhere.

I don't really get how this applies to the Defender PHEV. The difference between 3000kg and 3500kg isn't going to make the battery last all that much longer. Advertise that the vehicle is capable of towing, but with the caveat that it can only do it with the engine on, and nobody would care.

22 minutes ago, elbekko said:

I don't really get how this applies to the Defender PHEV. The difference between 3000kg and 3500kg isn't going to make the battery last all that much longer. Advertise that the vehicle is capable of towing, but with the caveat that it can only do it with the engine on, and nobody would care.

The towing restriction is more likely because of the braking limits and heavier empty weight of the PHEV with all its batteries and the motor as well as the engine and transmission, rather than attractive power or torque concern.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snagger said:

The towing restriction is more likely because of the braking limits and heavier empty weight of the PHEV with all its batteries and the motor as well as the engine and transmission, rather than attractive power or torque concern.

Would be interesting to know the extra weight of the PHEV.

Just now, landroversforever said:

Would be interesting to know the extra weight of the PHEV.

It would.  But between the batteries, battery containers and mountings, BMS, battery cooling system (if it has one), charger system, motor, transmission coupling, cabling, I think it’d be surprisingly heavy.  It think it also has the smaller brakes for the 18” wheels, where the V8 had big brakes and 20 or 22” rims.

What is the curb weight, 2020 Land Rover Defender 110 2.0 P400e (404 Hp) Plug-in Hybrid AWD Automatic?    2525 kg
5566.67 lbs.

What is the curb weight, 2019 Land Rover Defender 110 3.0 P400 (400 Hp) MHEV AWD Automatic?    2286 kg
5039.77 lbs.

Pulled off an apparently Bulgarian website, but on the same basis, https://www.auto-data.net/en/land-rover-defender-110-3.0-p400-400hp-mhev-awd-automatic-37677. They will sell you the API if you want to display specifications in your own database.

So, the PHEV is 239kg or 526.9lbs more. That's even more than picking me and a friend up as passengers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

This is clearly the future of personal transport solutions.

I've never heard of a Citroen Ami but this one picture makes me want one...

(Just looking at it, though, I can't imagine it would ever be legal in NZ.)