Thoughts and musings on the new defender

15 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I daresay that bar is nowhere near strong enough for a full speed roo-strike - no support along the top bar except those skinny little uprights.

That’s what I thought - purely cosmetic.  But that sums up most of the vehicle.

2 minutes ago, Snagger said:

That’s what I thought - purely cosmetic.  But that sums up most of the vehicle.

I mean it not *entirely cosmetic*, it does hold the winch.

And make the front of the vehicle look quite surprised.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

It looks to me like its been done to stop the roo strike being a total car write-off.

Why not build it so that it protects the car with no damage? ARB seem to manage it for all the '76s running around out there.

• Like 2

I've had the new Defender for a 3 hour test drive this morning. I approached it with an open mind but i can honestly say i still don't get it. Not utility enough to be of any use in a working environment and not luxurious enough to be worthy of its price tag. I did like the halo camera parking aid. I did not like the build quality.

20200824_110754.jpg

20200824_085317.jpg

• Confused 1

It was quite loose and just came away without any real effort. Glad i did it as otherwise it might be in the central reservation of a dual carriageway right now. The other side was just as flimsy. Insane for a £50k+ motor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

When the 90 was launched I had a 2.5 petrol County from Friday afternoon to Monday morning with a signature , no excess or mileage limit and on the understanding it would be used off road too , nothing at all fell off or worked loose and after an extensive steam clean it went back spotless . 

At that time the local Main Dealers were actually interested in the Brand.

Trim that can be pulled off by hand is utterly unacceptable IMO ,  trash and BS.

Steve

• Like 3

On my test drive yesterday the excess was £500 and no payment required. Three hours free, but the chap wasn’t bothered if I had it a little longer as he had another vehicle for the afternoon slot. Might be one of those things that differs from dealer-to-dealer though.

The reversing camera was the correct way around on the one I drove. I’ve no idea how the 3D camera view works but it’s very clever, and the underneath forward view will be very handy off road.

I think it must be dealer-specific as i didn't have to sign anything, they just put me on the insurance and off i went.

18 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Am I being dense or is the reversing camera image a mirror of what's shown on the overhead view? Think that would get confusing.

I can't remember quite how it worked but it did make sense to my brain at the time. The price tag, however, did not make sense.

chaps, we finally took a New Defender out this past weekend.

The driver is a novice on modern LRs, as you will see, and we were coaching him on which modes, gears, to use, etc.

It could be just me, but somehow I don't think the TR on this model is as good as the one on my RRS... if you look at what happens in the video from around 6:00 onwards, and compare that to how my RRS handled that same section two months ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvqnliHlIKc). 

Ok, we have to allow for the massive rains we've had in the region, and driver skills but still, I thought the Defender with 18" BFG ATs (deflated to 2.0 bar IIRC) would walk this obstacle...

• Like 1

Good video, thanks for sharing.

At the 6min mark. I think that was all driver I'm afraid. Not knocking them, especially in a new expensive vehicle. But stopping dead and driving so gentle just makes it hard work.

But I probably come from a different school of off road driving. I learned on the farm and for trials competitions. The latter you don't get spotters, you can't stop and you only get once chance.

Lovely scenery in the video.

I think overall though, the vid generally showed how much more capable and deployable are the older live axle models are vs the new one.

BTW at the end on the sand, was that D4 having the throttle killed by the electronic gubbins?

26 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Good video, thanks for sharing.

At the 6min mark. I think that was all driver I'm afraid. Not knocking them, especially in a new expensive vehicle. But stopping dead and driving so gentle just makes it hard work.

But I probably come from a different school of off road driving. I learned on the farm and for trials competitions. The latter you don't get spotters, you can't stop and you only get once chance.

Lovely scenery in the video.

I think overall though, the vid generally showed how much more capable and deployable are the older live axle models are vs the new one.

BTW at the end on the sand, was that D4 having the throttle killed by the electronic gubbins?

My pleasure, and yes, the owner was being super careful with his brand new toy :)

Having said that, the rear wheel was spinning a LOT for a vehicle with a rear e-diff, I'm sure my RRS doesn't spin its rear wheels as much. 

The D4 struggled up that sandy hill (trickier than it looks) because they didn't deflate their tyres (running at 2.5 bar) until the 3rd attempt (1.2 bar), at which point it went up without any trouble - there were 6 not-very-skinny people in that car 😅

D200.

Base model with a few options ticked. Was going to be Indus Silver but according to a phone call this afternoon they've pulled that colour from the range so now it will be Eiger Grey instead, which I think is the colour the one in the video above is. At least it'll match the 90 :D