Thoughts and musings on the new defender

3 hours ago, Maverik said:

I got chance to poke about under the bonnet of one at the weekend and I'm sure there's a massive busbar type affair on the left hand side as you look into the bonnet, could be wrong, but it looked like a terminal for connecting jumper cable to etc.

see time point 10.23 in the video about battery location, he shows the jumper post inside a red cover marked + on vehicles right of engine bay.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:01 PM, klivins said:

says using factory landrover parts. Calipers from some other model? Esp when they say more info and pricing will follow.

My point was that if the 18s fit on, surely they fit on? Surely Land Rover haven't been stupid enough to use different brakes even between different models of the same vehicle thereby making getting the correct parts a complete nightmare for the rest of time ... have they? :blink:

On 7/25/2020 at 8:09 AM, Naks said:

Jeeez, what a PITA to change the battery!

Honestly, far easier than plenty of bog standard euro boxes. I used to have a Peugeot 307 diesel, you had to take the air filter (the whole assembly, not just the filter itself) out to get the battery out from the back of the engine bay. It all looked nice and neat, and I'm sure it was nice and efficient on the assembly line, but it wasn't designed by anyone who'd ever had to maintain a vehicle...

• Like 1

The one I liked was, I think it was an Astra, which you needed to remove the wheel arch liner (which required some tools) in order to change any of the headlight bulbs. The bonus was that in order to remove the liner you also had to go from lock-to-lock so you could get access to all the plugs holding the liner in.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

The one I liked was, I think it was an Astra, which you needed to remove the wheel arch liner (which required some tools) in order to change any of the headlight bulbs. The bonus was that in order to remove the liner you also had to go from lock-to-lock so you could get access to all the plugs holding the liner in.

I think its a Renault that needs the whole front bumper off to get the fog light bulbs in :lol: 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Isn't it the Disco three that is a 1.5 hour operation to change a headlamp bulb?

Wouldn't have thought so, although it might depend on what kind of headlights. I know the L322 you can do most of them from reaching down inside the engine bay but the main bulbs are a bit fiddly but then I had Bi-Xenons which don't "blow" but wear out and go purply as they wear out.

It was a 5 minute job to remove the whole housing, open bonnet, remove grill (couple of screws on top), remove the screws holding the unit in and it slid out.

10 hours ago, BogMonster said:

My point was that if the 18s fit on, surely they fit on? Surely Land Rover haven't been stupid enough to use different brakes even between different models of the same vehicle thereby making getting the correct parts a complete nightmare for the rest of time ... have they? :blink:

They might have done just that, as in expecting a 400 hp vehicle to need more braking power than the 200 hp version.  While you could write a book on the stupid design aspects of modern vehicles (and the new Defender in particular), that one isn't particularly stupid.

I note a few reviews complain about the ridiculously over-sensitive brakes though, so maybe they are all over-braked.  On the other hand, that could be due to  the genuinely stupid use of fly-by-wire, indirect brakes...

I remember trying to buy a starter motor for a friend's 2l 1980 Mitsubishi Sigma once.  With a straight face, the man at the counter asked which of the FIVE versions I was after!  Two types of brakes isn't bad by comparison.

10 hours ago, BogMonster said:

Normally Land Rover fit larger brakes on models with larger engines.  They have been doing this for a long time.

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

Normally Land Rover fit larger brakes on models with larger engines.  They have been doing this for a long time.

A very, very long time!

11 minutes ago, western said:

Spotted a black one this morning, most likely a test drive from main dealers.

I got an email from the nearest dealer, inviting me to book a test drive.  I don't think I'll take them up, though.  A hundred miles each way to have a drive in something I won't buy is just a waste of everyone's time, unfortunately.  Not that I'm not curious!

1 hour ago, steve b said:

Philistine ,, you'll be talking about servo power next . Have you hung up your pitchfork so soon ? 😊

To Date I've seen one new Pretender on the road  .......so fairly exclusive then

Steve 

And I thought I was embracing change 🤣

Mo

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

Seen a few up here. One in a nice blue colour towing a big boat.

One of them even waved at me!

Whats the official response? Wave back? Ignore them like series drivers used to with defender drivers? Give them the middle finger?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

Seen a few up here. One in a nice blue colour towing a big boat.

One of them even waved at me!

Sure he didn’t need help ? Or was perhaps being blown about by a particularly aggressive air con set up?

12 hours ago, reb78 said:

Whats the official response? Wave back? Ignore them like series drivers used to with defender drivers? Give them the middle finger?

I feel like we need a group response to this question, maybe some kind of poll. Can't have people breaking the picket line and waving at pretender owners or, even worse, becoming friends with them.