New to me toys

The amount of stuff I've had out of the scrap bins at work is embarrassing... but then it's also been thousands of pounds worth of stuff that's been either directly useful or passed on to fellow club / forum members.

Last time the boss had a clearout I backed the car up to the loading bay :lol: the pile of stuff I took home was bigger than the pile that ended up in the skip, but it all found good homes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

You throw some big stuff out too!

Why can't I see that photo unless I click in the white space?

I sometimes re-possess stuff at our local recycling - as long as there isn't a jobsworth on duty who is keen to point out all the cameras.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Why can't I see that photo unless I click in the white space?

I sometimes re-possess stuff at our local recycling - as long as there isn't a jobsworth on duty who is keen to point out all the cameras.

Really bugs me how hot they are on stuff not being taken from the Stanford tip :angry:. Other end of the scale... asked about a tesco crate at the Chard tip.... chap said 'you're not supposed to take anything, but I'm going to walk and check the other end of the line of bins for a few minutes' :lol: 

Our local recycling centre is pretty good about removing stuff, even phoned me when they had a load of chequer plate (local company does displays at exhibitions), sadly I was doon sooth at the time so missed out on 12 8/4 sheets of 3mm plate.

• Like 1

This world throws away many repairable and recyclable items. 80% of my home is recycled, my car is recycled, my wife's car is repaired/recycled. We as a family (especially my wife) are passionate about reuse, so yes I'm a fully qualified womble.

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

This world throws away many repairable and recyclable items. 80% of my home is recycled, my car is recycled, my wife's car is repaired/recycled. We as a family (especially my wife) are passionate about reuse, so yes I'm a fully qualified womble.

Mike

Mike, so which Womble do you associate yourself  with....

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

What’s the one in the middle at the bottom Stephen?  Can’t work it out! :lol: 

Brake pipe bender/former

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Its kinda sad.... not your score, that is an awsome find congradulations 
Its the fact that there is next to no market for old engineering tools, that is what they are worth. Over here so many engineering firms have gone bust..... My new to me knee mill finally got dropped off at work (I needed to use the work forklift to unload it as its over 2 ton, and I need somewhere to store it till I can sort my shed), it came with a pallet of tooling.... I've bought 10kgs of tooling home (one tool box off the top) Reamers, dovetail cutters, end mills, counter bores etc. If I was to buy this lot its worth more than I spent on the mill... they repeatedly advertised it for as little as $200 on our version of ebay and nobody was interested so I've been given it 

Hmmm just thinking about it I should take note of it, so I don't put it away and forget what I've got lol 

• Like 1

It is desperately sad seeing all these old engineering shops close down, the skills lost.  The ability to make unique items, repair old parts and keep older machinery in service or build unusual items was crucial, but much overlooked.  People will only realise what has been lost when they can no longer get anything repaired and always have to replace with new, which will become increasingly costly and will never be a robust as the old stuff.

• Like 2

I cannot agree more with these sentiments, the valley I am in was a hotbed of engineering and textile industry you could get pretty much anything made 20 years ago and now its mostly gone, we still have a foundry that will do custom stuff and a gear cutters but the lead times are often in years rather than days/weeks. 

A good friend has a one off engineering/sheet metal workshop and he is now running a 6 month lead time as the other old school places fall by the wayside.

They are and they aren't. I'm seeing a bit of a resurgence (not enough) of small shops down with us but it's trying to find them that's the difficulty.

Everyone relies on the Internet to find them but quite often it's word of mouth down here so you need to know the right people to even find out about them. There is a cost though as it tends to be young farmers diversifying which is at the expense of farming. There used to be a lot of 100 acre farms that their parents were able to make a living off, as supermarkets drove down prices those farmers diversified and usually sold or leased land to neighbouring farmers who became much bigger and more intensive. The small farms then either become niche farms or moved into stuff like shed building, implement making etc.

For example, our neighbours - the son is a carpenter / roofer but his mother still runs the farm and he helps out when needed but their main income his his carpentry. Once his mother goes he doesn't know what will happen to the farm. One of his friends started off repairing a big trailer for a friend of his (for a shepherds hut) because he could weld, he's now packed in his silage contracting to focus on building trailers for the shepherd huts. Equally his father still keeps some beef and sheep but the main income is from the son's welding and farm equipment repair work. Another neighbour from a farming background still farms a little because they have the land but their main income is from his welding for steel framed farm buildings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ed Poore said:

it's trying to find them that's the difficulty.

This, a million times this. Not helped by the older shop owners being allergic to the internet.

A while back I visited a local steel yard for the first time. It has existed for decades, but I had never heard of it. It's hidden in what is now a neighbourhood full of houses, I couldn't even fathom getting a lorry there to deliver the steel.

Anyway, I overheard that he was going to close soon, and couldn't find any buyers. And that he barely has any customers anymore. I suggested he should set up a website so people could actually find him, but nah, that's not how he works...

Not sure if he's still going. But it's exactly that way that these shops close down - nobody finds them to give them business, and nobody wants to buy them because they don't have any existing customers.

And the bigger, more modern shops that do have an internet presence, are rarely interested in doing small one-off things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Another thing that is not helping, the younger generation are mostly not interested in engineering, I know at work we struggle to find maintenance fitters, the last several have been a decade from retirement types. If you cannot find younger employees that are genuinely interested, then businesses will shut down

Even on a hobby basis, I have 4 sons, not one of them would be interested in learning bits and pieces from myself, as with most of the younger generation gaming is top priority, it's the computer world we live in now unfortunately

Another issue is everything is relatively easy to buy now, especially vehicle's, when I was in my twentys every other car was a banger and you had to learn to look after and repair what you could, how many bangers do you see now, very few I wager

I guess at some point it will have to reverse when the few skilled workers that are left charge an arm and a leg for work, those that cannot afford it will have to learn as a few of us did all those years ago

Regards Stephen

• Like 4