Eberspächer advice

ianmayco68

It'll probably be next weekend now before I can fit the 2nd terminal to fuel pump wire, back on shift 7am to 7pm next week, so it'll be dark when I get home. 

just wondering if I need to put some fuel in the outlet end of the pump to help it lift fuel from the tank. Or will the pump have enough 'suck'to lift the fuel, my tank has about 35liters in it. 

What I done with my conversions, non Land Rover, was to take the feed pipe off at both ends, and prime the pump with it running using a big medical syringe. The heater itself will time out, but once it connected up wire fire up easily.

Syringes can be easily got from horsey shops or ebay. I find then useful for lots of things that you havent even thought of yet. They create vacuum too.

• Like 1

I have one of the Chinese knock offs and have to say its pretty good. To connect the fuel line I used the 'spare' grey plastic connection on top of the fuel tank as mine is a td5. Just nipped the top off it then stuck a length of steel brake line into it with a 90 degree bend at the top.  A bit of fuel line acts as a seal and then the nylon line attaches to the end. A bit rough but works fine.

I've also never had to prime the pump as it has enough sook to not need it.

Edited by paime

Thanks for the advice guys, all useful info. 

a thought with a spare battery I could rig the pump to prime itself into a clean bottle then it would at least have a easier job to pull fuel with a empty pump.

Edited by western

13 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I'll be interested to compare the noise of your heater with mine. We may need to share videos. I can't get used to the jet engine roar of the burner during the start-up / warm-up phase. It makes a tranquil early morning a little less tranquil. However heat is better than cold!

Have you put a silencer on the exhaust? I've got a Airtop in my van with a silencer on it and its pretty good at muffling noise, compared to the Thermotop in my 90 which is like a small jet engine firing away without a silancer.

Yes It has an after-market one on. I have been moaning about it for some time but haven't yet tried any other solution such as a genuine exhaust silencer or one on the inlet.

I believe that these newer D2 heaters (at least) always go onto full flame at start-up for at least a minimum run time, in order to ensure that carbon build-up is minimised. I am guilty of spreading that rumour as I don't definitively know that this is correct.

The noise is only an issue on the outside of the vehicle; that's what I mean about spoiling the tranquility. If its windy it's no problem but in a quiet spot or campsite, in the early morning, it can be loud.

14 hours ago, Peaklander said:

I'll be interested to compare the noise of your heater with mine. We may need to share videos. I can't get used to the jet engine roar of the burner during the start-up / warm-up phase. It makes a tranquil early morning a little less tranquil. However heat is better than cold!

Once I get it running and at some where less restricted than my driveway I can do a video so you can compare the noise from inside the vehicle & outside. 

I suppose the fuel lines on mine are not long, but I have never had the need to prime the pump at all.

I bought a cheap silencer set but havent fitted it yet... I get what people say about the noise, but I dont find mine excessive... you can hear it and I wouldnt want to sleep with it going (so for a camper I can understand the objection more) but for 'normal' use, I dont really find the noise too loud - having said that, mine gets used if I am out in the snow and need extra heat in the cab (i dont notice the heater whilst driving above the noise of the engine etc), to warm up and defrost on cold morning or if the dogs are left in the car in the cold weather, so in the latter two examples I am not around to listen to it at those points anyway!! My heater in the 110 is pretty good so I rarely need the eberspacher in 'normal' cold weather.

The cheap silencers work pretty well - at least as well as expensive ones!  A silencer on the air intake makes some difference too (not as much as on the exhaust).

A surprising tip I found for the fuel pump is to put a 90 degree elbow on either side of it, a few cm from the inlet & outlet.  That probably halved the amplitude of the clicking sound it makes.

3 minutes ago, simonr said:

The cheap silencers work pretty well - at least as well as expensive ones!  A silencer on the air intake makes some difference too (not as much as on the exhaust).

A surprising tip I found for the fuel pump is to put a 90 degree elbow on either side of it, a few cm from the inlet & outlet.  That probably halved the amplitude of the clicking sound it makes.

I would imagine mounting the pump on rubber mounts like those used on the RRC ABS pump (like miniature engine mount rubbers) and having soft hose connections at each end of the pump to act as sound dampers would also knock the noise down.

53 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I would imagine mounting the pump on rubber mounts like those used on the RRC ABS pump (like miniature engine mount rubbers) and having soft hose connections at each end of the pump to act as sound dampers would also knock the noise down.

They sell mounts just like that (eBay).  It was just surprising what a difference the 90 degree bends make!

I've just found Butler Technik sell rubber elbows for just this purpose!  They probably work even better than my (solid) elbows.

I’ve seen people hang them from cable ties and report it making a really big difference to noise.

Mine is pretty good - I don’t hear the pump. It does have an elbow, but I wasn’t sure if some are just better than others.

I bought a silencer for the intake and exhaust - but run it without them, as neither seemed to make any difference 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I don't mind the pump noise. It is just a ticking and the frequency depends on the rate at which the burner is running.

The standard fix is a rubber mount in a clamp, as in my photo. When the heater is on full fire the noise of the pump disappears!

IMG_9275.thumb.jpg.7a2961135db110d23690a8c7438e1ef9.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Yep. 45 degrees from vertical (or horizontal). They say it helps stop airlocks i think. 

15 to 35 from horizontal in the fitting info for this D2 I've fitted, but can go up to 90, but not less than 15 degrees.

Pete3000 my pump is on the right main  inner chassis face, the plate above is the 2nd row floor plate, well forward of the rear axle & high enough to keep out of road rubbish 

IMG_20210108_170130.jpg

When reinstalling mine after my chassis rebuild, I sicked some fuel up the pipe to help it get going as know they have a habit of going into lockout mode if they detect no fuel, but with the instruction manual it was a case of pressing a few buttons to reset. 
My exhaust exits behind the body crossmember but my intake pipe is routed into my battery box to avoid taking in water from puddles and when wading. I could do with a silencer on my exhaust as it is noisy in the mornings