LED Lights

Hybrid_From_Hell

Interesting..... Spotted this:

Life time: up to 50000 hours

So if you drive for 10 hours a week at night on average (quite possible if you have an hour or more commute), they will be dead before 10 years is done.

Just an observation :) probably true for all of them.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:53 PM, Bowie69 said:

Interesting..... Spotted this:

Life time: up to 50000 hours

So if you drive for 10 hours a week at night on average (quite possible if you have an hour or more commute), they will be dead before 10 years is done.

Just an observation :) probably true for all of them.

Err? 

10 hrs per week

50 weeks per year = 500 hrs per year

50000 hrs = 100 yrs.

Mike

• 1 month later...

It appears, the rules have changed on retrofitted LED lights for MOT:

Stolen from another forum where this was posted by an MOT tester

The upgrading of existing halogen headlamps with HID bulbs has been a MOT fail for a few years now. However upgrading with LED bulbs was OK. Not anymore! From 11/01/2021 the MOT rules have been updated to make the fitment of LED bulbs ( in existing halogen units) a fail.

I attach the new rule for clarity.

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

As far as I can make out doesn't stop you fitting E marked led units, just led bulbs into old units. Ironically the only thing that isn't led on my ibex ate the headlights.

Yep - replacement of the entire unit for an LED one is still fine as long as it has the relevant markings / approvals. 

Clarity, finally! :)

Thanks for posting, also about tail lights etc, at least you *can* get legal bulbs, I guess we just need to look for them.

I guess the assumption can be that if you fit LED *units* as tail lights they should pass, if they have correct markings etc.

The commentary appears to focus on headlights/lamps; I wonder if other lamps are concerned?  I have an aftermarket high level brake light, which is LED... is that a failure?  I also use LEDs in the upper indicators, but regular bulbs in the lower... failure?  I'll see in late May.

So is this saying that you can’t fail an MOT if your vehicle is exempt due to the 40 year rule or, if you voluntarily submit your vehicle for MOT even if it’s exempt, then you could fail on this point?

What’s to stop someone taking their vehicle for MOT, failing and then just tearing up the certificate and sticking it in the bin due to the fact that they don’t need it anyway? Is the vehicle recorded as a ‘fail’ on the MOT database if it was exempt in the first instance?

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 2:00 AM, Bigj66 said:

So is this saying that you can’t fail an MOT if your vehicle is exempt due to the 40 year rule or, if you voluntarily submit your vehicle for MOT even if it’s exempt, then you could fail on this point?

What’s to stop someone taking their vehicle for MOT, failing and then just tearing up the certificate and sticking it in the bin due to the fact that they don’t need it anyway? Is the vehicle recorded as a ‘fail’ on the MOT database if it was exempt in the first instance?

That seems logical - the test would be voluntary, but if undertaken and the vehicle is found unroadworthy, it’d be recorded as such and repair needed.  Whether another MoT would have to be taken as proof, or whether an “owner assessment” is required is going to be the same as for any other kind of failure, not specifically a lights issue, but I don’t know what the rules are on retesting for exempted vehicles.

I think an MOT tester would need to confirm but i imagine the test and fail would still be noted on the system if one was conducted and charged for in the normal manner?? So wouldn't it flag up on ANPR etc as not having a valid test?

2 hours ago, reb78 said:

I think an MOT tester would need to confirm but i imagine the test and fail would still be noted on the system if one was conducted and charged for in the normal manner?? So wouldn't it flag up on ANPR etc as not having a valid test?

The results of any MOT logged into the system stay there.

If your MOT exempt vehicle fails a voluntarily submitted test and you chose not to have it retested your defence to the charge of not having a valid test certificate would be...The vehicle is test exempt. Although I doubt it would ever get to court.

Irrelevant as the LED/HID "Light source and lamp not compatible" fail doesn't apply to MOT exempt vehicles anyway.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, pat_pending said:

The results of any MOT logged into the system stay there.

If your MOT exempt vehicle fails a voluntarily submitted test and you chose not to have it retested your defence to the charge of not having a valid test certificate would be...The vehicle is test exempt. Although I doubt it would ever get to court.

Irrelevant as the LED/HID "Light source and lamp not compatible" fail doesn't apply to MOT exempt vehicles anyway.

So an MOT exempt vehicle couldn’t technically fail a test if it had LED lamps fitted because that particular section of the Tester’s manual doesn’t apply to it by virtue of its age?

If I understood what you wrote correctly.

Whether or not you want to fit them is another discussion.

16 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

So an MOT exempt vehicle couldn’t technically fail a test if it had LED lamps fitted because that particular section of the Tester’s manual doesn’t apply to it by virtue of its age?

If I understood what you wrote correctly.

Whether or not you want to fit them is another discussion.

Yes, absolutely, there's no "technically" about it.

The failure "Light source and lamp not compatible" does not apply to vehicles first used/ registered prior to 1/4/86 (currently 35 years and older).

Vehicles that are MOT exempt would be all over 40 years old.

Whether the vehicle requires an MOT or not has no bearing on the way it is tested (subject to the normal age related criteria) or the way the results are recorded.

To be completely clear here, we are talking about putting an LED bulb in an existing Halogen HEADLAMP housing.

The beam pattern would still have to be correct though or that would be a different failure (not related to the age of the vehicle).

Fitting complete purpose designed LED light units of any sort is not an MOT failure on any age vehicle, although headlamps would still be subject to the beam pattern requirements.

E marking is not part of the MOT*.

*For the purpose of this discussion.

• Thanks 1