Do you need a spare wheel?

I always have a spare! My previous Defender was always getting punctures and once I had a blowout that caused a severe brown trouser moment! 

My Fiesta came without a spare and bought a skinny spare immediately!

29 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Guess you needed a spare of a different kind at that point!

It was on the outside lane of the M40 and I was doing 70! Lurching across to the hard shoulder was interesting!

625B4264-2591-4A95-8007-DF7F139BF4C3.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Steve King said:

It was on the outside lane of the M40 and I was doing 70! Lurching across to the hard shoulder was interesting!

625B4264-2591-4A95-8007-DF7F139BF4C3.jpeg

That's terrible! What happened to that tyre so it failed like that?

On 7/8/2021 at 2:09 AM, Eightpot said:

For regular punctures, sticky tyre plugs work very well if you have a pump or compressor to air the tyre back up.  Used them loads in Africa and just came across a wheel & tyre in the workshop I repaired with a plug in north Africa 14 years ago- still fully inflated.  Used one of those plugs and a self tapper to fix a big fuel tank leak once as well - useful things to carry. 

Most of the hardware shops, which are present even in local mini-malls like the one on our villa compound, sell those sticky kits here.  I think it’s because so many people take their cars into the desert, with the easily accessible areas strewn with parts ripped off cars and ready to puncture tyres.  Unfortunately, nobody seems to pick up the litter and rubbish in the desert.

The powers of the forum at work: for my 250 mile trip on Thursday I actually put the spare tyre back in the Range Rover. Checked pressure and everything!

For today's trip with the trailer I'm even gonna include the jack! 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Escape said:

The powers of the forum at work: for my 250 mile trip on Thursday I actually put the spare tyre back in the Range Rover. Checked pressure and everything!

For today's trip with the trailer I'm even gonna include the jack! 🙃

Good plan, you'll struggle with no jack! Don't forget to chuck in a wheel brace too

On 7/8/2021 at 12:34 PM, Gazzar said:

That's terrible! What happened to that tyre so it failed like that?

I wish I knew! 

It looks like a localised failure. I checked the tyre pressures the previous day.  The tyre was on the N/S rear and it made a rumbling noise for a few seconds before going bang!

I should have asked the tyre fitters their opinion.

Once had a puncture in our camper on the Thelwall Viaduct of the M6 on a Friday teatime, (piece of debris damaged the sidewall), changing the wheel was a nightmare but a can of goo would have been no good and I wouldnt have liked to have sat there waiting for the recovery truck.

A definite scary moment.  We have spares in all our vehicles and the car and camper have a can of goo for emmergencies.  I wouldnt like to have to change a wheel at the side of a motorway again.

Peter

• Like 1

Yesterday my premonition about getting a flat was proven correct. Just not on the Range or Esprit, but on the Jag. I noticed the right rear was very low on pressure, despite being checked on Saturday. Closer inspection showed it had a bolt wedged in the tread, must have picked it up when moving her from inside the Shop to the parking. 😞 Easy fix with an insert, but very happy I got to do it in the Shop with the big trolley jack and impact and not somewhere at the side of the road! Statistically I should be safe for another 10 years or so. 🙂

• Haha 2

Typical really given that this topic is under discussion...

Had I not had a spare with me on Sunday myself and my dog would have been stranded at the side of the A1M after the OSF tyre sidewall seems to have disintegrated. No idea what caused it as the tyre is only a couple of years old. The inner wall was undamaged, the outer bead is undamaged but the wall has split from the tread. 70MPH on the A1M, no warning, no vibrations before it went.

With the spare and the means of changing it we were probably only on the hard shoulder for around 10 mins.

Probably not repairable with sticky string...

IMG_9977.jpeg.d0370a3a87193babdbc0d8cafbc1e044.jpeg

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

No idea, not enough! There’s no strength to them at all. Tread and grip fine both on and off road but clearly not a proper off road tyre by any stretch. 

Goodyear bang on about Kevlar-reinforced sidewalls as a feature of the tyre, but the small print notes that this is featured in all sizes except those used by Land Rover :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, smallfry said:

WTF ??? Now thats scary. Looks like in has been run flat for 20 miles.

I think that overall, the answer to the OPs question is YES, you do need a spare !

I'd not long since joined the motorway, having negotiated 3 roundabouts and a tight left turn onto the slip road followed by a relatively sharp left hand bend at 60-70 on the merge onto the motorway from a dual carriageway. No understeer, no handling issues. Whatever happened it happened in the 2 miles after I joined the motorway. I also changed lanes several times as I was overtaking slower vehicles and pulling back into the inside lane and no signs of understeer or pulling to one side. Up until it let go there was no indication at all that there was anything wrong. The inner bead, tyre wall and tread are completely unmarked/unharmed.

I guess I'll never know for certain but the front left tyre (same age as the front right) isn't going back on again. Someone did warn me that they'd seen issues with these tyres and the sidewalls failing but the ones on the rear (rotated from the front) are probably 4 years older and have had a much harder life having been on when we drove around Australia. Maybe a slow puncture that led to the tyre overheating, maybe a structural failure, maybe something on the carriageway that cut it, who knows.

On the plus side, nobody was hurt, I didn't spread large chunks of tyre all over the motorway and I got home safely on the spare which is from the same batch as the rears. I now have mud tyres on the front and ATs on the rear while I figure out if I should buy some more of the same make or move to something different. Seems like GoodYear might not be a good candidate :D

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 6:55 PM, Retroanaconda said:

Apologies - yes you’re right it should be 0.27% as it was 1,100 miles. Still, not an efficient way to go laning!

Should have got a Range Rover :P, even on 19" wheels and 55 profile tyres it managed more than that :blink:

DSCF0376.thumb.JPG.e44af0d07ec671fea99a6b427fab6ffb.JPG

But I did do it properly :blush:

DSCF0382.thumb.JPG.17e125a6a760e917ad722eb89f6d3944.JPG

• Confused 1