OT : Retirement. Really?!

western

Got 6 month rundown contract from April to September, then redundancy, think I have had enough of aircraft work, going maybe take 2 or 3 months off & find a part time job in 2023.

I could move to North Wales or Lincolnshire but don't want to move or sell my house down, don't really fancy renting it out either. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, western said:

Got 6 month rundown contract from April to September, then redundancy, think I have had enough of aircraft work, going maybe take 2 or 3 months off & find a part time job in 2023.I vould move to North Wales or Lincolnshire but don't want to move or sell my house down, don't really fancy renting it out either. 

Redundancy now would suit me, I hope it suits you, if not that's a shame and I hope you get sorted with a part time job quickly

51 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

34 years is a long time.

10 years for me.

43 years in august for me, was looking to retire next year at 60, but thinking of carrying on for another year until I see how fuel, power, cost of living and the Ukraine situation pan out regards Stephen

• Like 1

When I was 36, I hosted our factory's long service awards presentations. That year I had only just joined the company and two of the longest serving employees had both clocked-up 40 years of service. I don't know what I said in my little speech of thanks and appreciation but I remember that it was a quite humbling experience for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I'm hoping to retire at 75, so another 19 years. I may go down to 4 days a week for the last few years. Alternatively when I finally get divorced, I might just buy a van and travel round Greece and Albania until I manage to drink myself to death

Looks like you've got it all planned!

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I'm hoping to retire at 75, so another 19 years. I may go down to 4 days a week for the last few years. Alternatively when I finally get divorced, I might just buy a van and travel round Greece and Albania until I manage to drink myself to death

When you get your van come up north for a visit before you head for the sun.

On 2/23/2022 at 4:07 AM, Nonimouse said:

Retire as early as you can, life's too short.  There's no point in dying rich!  It's 20+ years since I retired and I'm still enjoying every day, even with the odd aches and pains that come with the years.  And don't ever consider yourself "old", I don't.  Until the current troubles in Ukraine I've been planning, with friends, an overland trip from Sweden to Ulaan Baatar in 2023, but perhaps that will have to be replaced by some other road trip.  Currently under serious consideration is Tierra del Fuego back to Canada.  If it becomes reality we'll post progress.

Mike

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Retire as early as you can, life's too short.  There's no point in dying rich!  It's 20+ years since I retired and I'm still enjoying every day, even with the odd aches and pains that come with the years.  And don't ever consider yourself "old", I don't.  Until the current troubles in Ukraine I've been planning, with friends, an overland trip from Sweden to Ulaan Baatar in 2023, but perhaps that will have to be replaced by some other road trip.  Currently under serious consideration is Tierra del Fuego back to Canada.  If it becomes reality we'll post progress.

Mike

I could not agree more. My old chap died suddenly two weeks after his 65th birthday, one minute we were having a chat over a cup of coffee and the next he was gone due to a massive heart attack.

Life is indeed too short. Something that was again brought home to me again in late 2020 when I received a terminal cancer diagnosis. I will be forever grateful to the amazing care and treatment which resulted in me still being on top of the grass.

Life is very precious and passes so very quickly. 

• Like 4

I greatly doubt I'll ever retire, there are times when I think its time to stop, then I find an insect that is sufficiently different from "normal" and my interest is re kindled once again. Sure, I have a few health issues, but nowt that will stop me, I'm kind of a stubborn so and so.... I'm irritated that I'm not allowed to drive for a while (medication) but thats relatively short term. Besides, I'm only in my early 60's and think I'm in my 30's....

21 minutes ago, Daan said:

With the inflation rates as they are, Retirement might soon be a luxury for poor people, sadly.

That's the honest truth unfortunately.

I was planning to retire at 60 in a year's time, however I'm rethinking to carry on for another year to see if world events affecting cost of living improve enough to take the risk regards Stephen

I could retire now if I was careful, I did a job I absolutely loathed and although it paid well ( and I saved like it was the last pay cheque - it was hire n fire type of company) ... it did me no favours health wise with daft long hours and buckets of stress, constant fear of redundancy (applied for my own job 9 times in 14 years !) and generally unpleasant place to be for so many hours...

Now I earn a fraction of what I did, but I love what I do,

I have thought about retiring but whilst I get a buzz out of nearly every day and getting to inventing things I'll carry on - its a sort of retirement :rofl:

When its no longer fun = I'll properly stop 

I will be 67 in 2040, the year I could get state pension. So 18 years to go. Not sure how state pension will develop, or whether I will even get it.

That said, people who do get state pension, tell me it is hardly worth waiting for.

I don't see my job as a chore, so not a problem for me.

Daan 

The job I do isn't paid that we'll given what I need to know to do it, but restoring classic wooden powerboats is about the best I'm likely to get in the marine industry. I do enjoy my job and that counts for a hell of a lot. However working till I'm 70 (still 23 years away) in a manual job isn't likely to go well. So to the idiot office worker that decided to raise retirement age I salute you as the biggest *#@+ ever to walk the planet. 

Meanwhile I plan to enjoy myself as much as I can before I die.

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daan said:

I will be 67 in 2040, the year I could get state pension. So 18 years to go. Not sure how state pension will develop, or whether I will even get it.

That said, people who do get state pension, tell me it is hardly worth waiting for.

I don't see my job as a chore, so not a problem for me.

Daan 

£179.60 per week - if you’ve been paying tax and NI for long enough.

So just under £10k a year - better than a kick in the teeth, better to think of it as a safety net if you haven’t got a private pension - or a small top up if you do.

You can check what you’re forecast to get online.