Nice camper, but .......

smallfry

11 hours ago, deep said:

I'm even more jealous of the trucks they have in Russia!  Some of them get close to our legal maximum weight without carrying any payload; they are left-hand drive; and the nasty invasion of the Ukraine means that nearly no chance of ever seeing one here is now no chance at all.  Still, one can only dream and, boy, do they have some dream campers.

The Ukrainian 'post war' auctions will be selling on a lot of Russian kit

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 4:31 AM, landy_andy said:

Campers here can have either a wet or dry bathroom, basically in a wet one the shower is over the toilet, in a dry the shower is a separate area that is screened off from the toilet space. In some this is a separate room, others will have a screen door. Generally means you have somewhere to hang wet coats without being dripped on whilst having a #2 🙄

Ah, that's what it means! Same options in the UK. My parents camper has a wet shower, our caravan a dry one. Pro of the wet is it's much more compact (their entire bathroom area is about a third the size of ours). We've never actually used our shower, but it's a very useful wet storage area!

20 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I'm so jealous of the trucks you have in the US. Just way too big to use over here

Yep, I like the idea of a demountable camper, but anything that's a decent size needs a base vehicle that's just unusably big in the UK. The usual solution here is towing a small car behind a camper (or, of course, using a tow car and caravan). But neither of those leaves you capacity for trailering the D100.

Plus I doubt many caravans would survive long on gravel roads 😆

On 9/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

@deep if I won the lottery I'd have a Vityaz DT-40 and a Tatra 813.

I suspect Ukraine might have a lot of lightly-used Russian vehicles for sale in a short while, so there's hope for you yet :P

Always fancied these. Slow, but so capable. https://mortarinvestments.eu/catalog/item/praga-v3s

or a https://mortarinvestments.eu/catalog/item/gaz-66?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Gaz yes, V3s not so much, they make old Unimogs look like a rolls-royce. Given how many there are out there it's perhaps telling that no-one runs V3s portals on anything else.

But they never break - ever. They have a certain cuteness, and having driven a couple over some pretty serious terrain, they make a Mog look what it really is - lardy, over complicated and unreliable

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Escape said:

That some serious flex in the chassis! Even the roll cage has a single pivot point at the front. I had never heard of those, now I kinda want one. 🙂

I was looking for a split in the chassis with a rotating joint, like the Dodge Power Wagon!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:10 PM, Escape said:

That some serious flex in the chassis! Even the roll cage has a single pivot point at the front.

If you watch the truck trials most of the entries have them - it's almost impossible to make a truck chassis that doesn't flex.

I think the Tatras manage it by having the backbone layout (like a giant Pinz) but can't remember 100%.

Unimogs flex a lot too, worth remembering when trying to build a camper body on something like that!

23 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If you watch the truck trials most of the entries have them - it's almost impossible to make a truck chassis that doesn't flex.

I think the Tatras manage it by having the backbone layout (like a giant Pinz) but can't remember 100%.

Unimogs flex a lot too, worth remembering when trying to build a camper body on something like that!

three point mounting on cab and bed

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Spotted this interesting camper build today.  Bet that thing just wants to flip like a pancake on a bend.  On skinny steels as well 😬

Given how our 127 can lean, especially if you put the roof rack on, I shudder to think what that thing's like even if the overall CoG is lower than it looks, it's still a ruddy great pendulum!

The CoG would certainly be better without the tubing, and I hate to think of the extra drag it causes, especially with the diagonal cross bracing above the windscreen.  The wheels might be standard, but you can see from the shadows that they are on spacers, so some small token effort was made there.  Regardless, it’d be horrific in side winds.

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Given how our 127 can lean, especially if you put the roof rack on, I shudder to think what that thing's like even if the overall CoG is lower than it looks, it's still a ruddy great pendulum!

When ours had the roof rack and rooftent on for the kids to kip in it used to heel over something Interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's barely a straight bit of road here in Portugal, some of the bends are savage -  I've been struggling with my ambulance camper on the corners to the extent of limiting the bottles of wine on board and jettisoning anything non essential. I think if I was driving that 110 I'd just give up and push it over 😄

Good place to be in an electrical storm though!

• Haha 2