Bit of Towing Fun

vulcan bomber

49 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Yep you win with Mike a close 2nd 🏅 

It’s awesome - is it the Plane that’s moving up North or both of you? 

Just the aircraft, once it's back to running condition (the one in the pic was scrapped and just this bit is left) ill be leaving the project because its a 280 mile round trip i cant commit to regularly 

I have never towed anything quite so fancy as a Shackleton or even a bit of one.

The Grenadier has only towed a 22' fishing boat on a launching trolley,

GrenandBoat.thumb.jpg.fd735f1c49306155109cc0d5f0baa6d6.jpg

The LR110 did quite a lot of towing, but nothing fancy on camera, usually classic cars, including my two. The little picture is from May 2008.

MogandLR110.png.262d65f5c888858c9394cdc3e84e4eb2.png

The strangest thing I have moved with the LR110 was a diesel locomotive at Butterley; they wanted it moving about 3 metres along the shed road to get a display in. Someone may have a picture, but I don't. 

• Like 1

No photos I'm afraid as before the advent of the digital camera, but a Focke Wulf 190 engine and propeller from Nogent le Rotrou in France back to UK

Junkers Ju88 engine and wreckage, plus a few others from Aviation museum days.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2023 at 11:34 PM, vulcan bomber said:

Just for a bit of fun, I reckon I could win this, let's see what the coolest thing is you've towed with your Landy, heres my 110 with the cockpit section of Avro Shackleton T.4 VP293 "Zebedee" I'm moving from Coventry to York as part of the greater task taking up my weekends currently of moving Shackleton AEW.3 WR963. 963 being in full working order when we started the tear down and will be in full working order when we are finished.

IMG20231217094100.jpg

That is a super cool load! I'd have taken a chance and hijacked that, given the opportunity...🤣

As an aside, if the other Shack is in full working order, why not fly it?  I'm certain the folks along the route would appreciate the spectacle.  Or is it not in possession a CofA?

PS, we have this beauty in Cape Town...

based here...

15 hours ago, JohnnoK said:

That is a super cool load! I'd have taken a chance and hijacked that, given the opportunity...🤣

As an aside, if the other Shack is in full working order, why not fly it?  I'm certain the folks along the route would appreciate the spectacle.  Or is it not in possession a CofA?

PS, we have this beauty in Cape Town...

based here...

Unfortunately, to fly WR963 out we would have to pull her even more apart for inspection, then repair, rebuild and fly her out, getting 1 off flights in the UK is an absolute nightmare. So it's cheaper to put her on lorries. 1722 you have there was the last Shack to officially fly.... She's a MK.3 where as WR963 Is a tail sitting, MK.2 (actually an AEW.2). Search Avro Shackleton on Facebook, we have a page.

8 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

Unfortunately, to fly WR963 out we would have to pull her even more apart for inspection, then repair, rebuild and fly her out, getting 1 off flights in the UK is an absolute nightmare. So it's cheaper to put her on lorries. 1722 you have there was the last Shack to officially fly.... She's a MK.3 where as WR963 Is a tail sitting, MK.2 (actually an AEW.2). Search Avro Shackleton on Facebook, we have a page.

Yes, she was the last after we lost one in the Desert en-route to Oshkosh.

Without trying to fill the forum with 2 much junk, in the attached picture you can see a unit at the center of the propeller hub, its the translation unit for the rear prop sets, it was the faliure of this on Pelican 16 that bought her down.

396156790_705264774959552_6176474372157171897_n.jpg

• Like 1