Got snow yet?

T1G UP

went for a gentle run up a nearby lane to be greeted by this:

PICT0518.jpg

me and the jeep squeezed round, but further attempts once we had passed the truck slid sideways onto a bank.

The jeep thought he could pull it off... :ph34r:

PICT0519.jpg

Isn't it pretty... the snow that is:

PICT0506.jpg

I'd rather drive most things than my 110 on compacted snow. Mud tyres, lots of weight, high CoG and an LSD back axle make it horrid at times.

We've got a Mini Cooper now and thats a hoot in the snow with the TC turned off, with it on it kills the power too much.

The best car I have driven in the snow was our P38 Range Rover, me and a mate raced across the moor a few years ago him in an impreza and the Range Rover seemed to have more grip than the scooby by a long way.

We had a Freelander last winter and that was excellent too.

Will :)

Well I went for a maiden voyage in the snow last night!!!!

It was all excellent until we took a wrong turn and ended up on a steep slope down hill.

We ended up sliding half way down and having to abandon the Landy next to a bus for the night as it was all ice and no traction.

As you can see from the pics the snow plough sailed straight into us both and squashed me.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

What a disaster!

post-4554-126279031213_thumb.jpg

the X5 is completely embarrassing in the snow.

Have to agree with this.

A colleague came into work this morning in her X5, slinging Fs everywhere as she abandonned it in the middle of the car park. "Effing P.O.S. car!", went for a scary slide twice in a residential road

Having stolen the keys this morning for half an hour I can say it seems much less sure footed than my Ninety and less traction too. Pulling out of the car park in 4" of fresh snow caused it a lot more trouble to get moving than I would have expected. The X5 may have traction control and an LSD, but tyres that are a foot wide are a distinct hindrance in this weather.

On the other hand I watched a chap in an old bullnosed Saab, in that lovely 70's yellow, having a great time hooning around the car park over the road. Plenty of control from what I could see :)

Now can't wait to finish for today to go and play practice driving my Landy in the snow :lol:

There's still a little across the Peak.

The plough turned round at the Cat & Fiddle, so the road towards Macclesfield was impassable. On the return journey, snow had blown back in to the road even though the plough was ~10 minutes ahead of me.

Minor roads and back lanes are even more entertaining. No need to go looking for lanes when the tarmac ones offer some interesting opportunities.

post-249-126279182086_thumb.jpg

post-249-126279184029_thumb.jpg

post-249-126279185764_thumb.jpg

I think the Fiesta would surprise you with how well it can handle these conditions, unless it's got wide tyres on. Wee front wheel drive cars cope with most conditions well. My Focus is driveable with extreme care, it's problems are caused by the big fat tyres. Ideal on even wet tar, but severaly compromised in this. Wifes Corolla feels a lot more sure footed than the Ford, and in some ways more sure footed than the RRC. That said, none of our 3 cars has failed to get us where we needed to go.

Back in the day the Austin Mini was remarkably sure footed, the only time I remember struggling was due to height of car vs depth of snow piling up against front bumper! Wee skinny tyres that bite into the surface, rather than polishing it until it's like wet glass.

Totally agree about the X5s etc, seen a lot of them strugling in this. Seen a lot of newer Range Rovers and Discos struggling too, although I suspect that's more down to tyres and drivers relying on the electronics over common sense. Mate of mine has a D3 on road tyres and he's doing fine, but he can drive. I went round a Mitsubishi L200 this morning, 4 wheels doing egg beaters so fast you could smell the tyres. My 1.6l FWD Focus made it round said L200 and up the same hill without fuss.

had bout 3 inches in tidworth and still falling. so i went for a drive on salisbury plain around sidbury hill. very impressed with the disco with AT2s in the fresh stuff!

the first pic is taken from where every one parks for the comp safari.

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00795.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

i apoligise for the size of the pics, not learnt to resize yet!

Only had about an inch here in Suffolk this time , had about 3" before Xmas. I'm on AT2's at the moment and am quite impressed with grip in the snow and ice , usual rules apply though big heavy 4x4 = go very carefully ...

Nice to have a proper winter , so many are just grey and dark :)

...we may have more later

cheers

Steveb

Got to say that I'd take my 90 out any day in this weather.

Just getting out of our shared drive (Thats now polished up like glass!) my 90 on ATs in low with diffs locked i dont really slide about all that much while all the neighbours cars slide about everywhere and take a good 20 mins to get out!

If you want the reliability to get somewhere take the defender, if your planning on driving like an idiot, dont bother! :ph34r:

usual rules apply though big heavy 4x4 = go very carefully ...

Agreed. Ventured out briefly earlier and found myself giving the TC and ABS an exended workout!

Gently on the accelerator caused a squirm from underneath!

Take it easy out there all of you.

Safe driving!

Martin

In the end traction is down to having the correct tires, proper snow tires, even studded, in a 235/85-16 will get you through a lot. Hearing about all these 'traction' problems is kinda funny, but I know you guys run summer tires year round there and of course they just don't grip on snow/ice. Even my 1986 MR2 was fine in the snow until it got up over the airdam, with the proper tires. Here our problem is higher speeds, longer distances, and people who just won't slow down enough for the conditions as it means their 4h drive becomes a 10h drive.

EDs

sorry to hear you 110 got damaged mate

really surpprised you struggled on that road in a 110 though , got my disco up my steepish drive last nite in around 15" of snow , wouldnt quite make it up the second part to the house but the 90 walked it and in reverse just to see :D

Been out again today, everyone seems to have got home & stayed home so only those out to rescue abandoned cars or those who needed to travel. Lots of 4x4's, the burger van on Portsdown hill said he'd had nothing but 4x4's and walkers all day, plus all the locals on sledges. According to the news, hundreds of people slept in their cars last night on the A3M at Butser Hill, sod that for a game of conkers. I did stop and ask a Policeman if they needed any help from 4x4's and was told no they had it covered, but from what I've seen they ain't got it that covered. They're drafting in army cranes to clear the abandoned cars & trucks off the motorway :o

Exploring down the back of Portsdown Hill:

post-21-126280584225_thumb.jpg

post-21-126280584959_thumb.jpg

We've had about 8" here in West Wales, seems to be sticking as well and now freezing.

Went out for a bit of 'white laning' on the way to panic buy some milk (well the guys fitting our new windows were in danger of not getting another coffee so I had to!!).

I can confirm that BFG trac edges are great in the fresh stuff and on the compacted stuff. We had a 4WD tractor sliding all over the yard today but the 90 drove across with no fuss at all.

Some pics - hope this works, first attempt at posting pics . . . . .

gallery_230_956_32200.jpg

gallery_230_956_20156.jpg

. . and yes that is the moon in the second picture, taken about 7am yesterday morning.

I live semi-rurally in Hampshire.

One of the local farmers did way to thorough job of clearing the backroads from around 6am. So there was no fresh to play in.

Unsuprisingly, my Michelin XCLs were pants in the snow. The power of the 2.5td broke traction in 2nd and 3rd when the turbo picked up :lol:

Suprisingly, when I took them off (swap for some part worn bfg at) they are marked up M+S.

Things are still slippery on the bfgs, they just seem to hold on a bit longer and the slides are a bit more controlled :ph34r: