Got snow yet?

T1G UP

The landrover will get thru deeper snow, and will also handle travel on fresh snow roads far better, When it packs down it will be marginally better, when things get realy icy, packed snow , if you cant find an untravelled path to get better grip , then chains are the answer, as they grip on anything , they have to be experienced to be believed. But speed should not exceed 30 or so and you need to remove them if you get onto cleared road as they can wear quite fast . HTSH

Looks like you're in luck Si, judging by the view from my window. The current tip is to get milk in as no supplies will be delivered for the forseeable. (In Horsham only Sainsburys petrol station seem to have any).

Nick's right! The co-op in Cowfold is also shut due to adverse weather conditions!

Hopefully the pub will be open though!

Steve

Not wishing to be a party pooper but what would an insurance company say if you towed somebody (especially something large - i.e. over 3.5 tons) in dangerous conditions and had another accident while towing? Just wondered, that was all. Maybe it isn't an issue.

A good 2-3" here in Horley now, and it's still coming down pretty thick.

Work is just 10 mins away (on a normal day) so alas I'll not be skiving, especially as I have the keys, :angry:

Now for tomorrow- RRC for comfort, warmth and ABS; or the Ninety on MTs? I know which will be more fun :lol:

I pushed a car this morning and did a bit of tree clearance with my front wheel drive Skoda Octavia. It is carrying two winches, (one electric and one manual) a shovel, a spade, an axe, a tree saw, lifting chains, towing ropes and strops, sand, timber, carpet and me! :D

Take the 110, park it in a convenient ditch tongue.gif , then go back and get the fiesta. If you are not experienced in driving on snowy / icy roads, the public highway is not the place to learn. The tongue in cheek car park advice above is very sound, although with less doughnuts and hand brake turns!! laugh.gif

Yes the LR will have better (straight line) traction, but in all other departments it looses out.

Strongly agree. Spending sometime in an empty car park in these conditions will be time well spent (and whisper it - it'll probably be more fun in the Fiesta!) Otherwise heed the warnings.

Racing on snow like we did on the Border's Hillrally last year certainly reminds you that the inertia of two tonnes of LR is likely to be more difficult in icy conditions than less than a ton of Fiesta.

Tyres are a big consideration too - contrary to popular opinion the usual chunky tyres that we love to fit to our LRs are not the best in snow and ice. Sipes are your friend and mud tyres don't have them.

H

I managed to push afew random cars, when it snow last time, unfortunately London does not get much snow.

However, it's snowing now so the city should shut down in "Travel Chaos", tomorrow....

It always make me chuckle when this happens as any more than 1 inch and it's more "Travel Chaos"

Keep up the good work people, if there were only more of us.

Surely if there is no grip ABS won't help anyway?

But I agree with your sentiment though.

Marc.

Not really true if you are driving in snow - ABS can be a positive disadvantage !!

The main thing that has helped me these last few weeks is the Traction Control on the p38 RR I'm using for commuting. It is particularly good at helping make the transition between icey and non-icey surfaces easier and safer.

On the other hand the ABS nearly caused us to have an accident on Christmas Day as it decided to not allow the brakes to do their job when approaching a junction at what was an appropriately slow speed for the conditions.

I had the same problem in a 2wd car with ABS some years ago.

A guy in our club has his Outlander's ABS come on this morning when he was braking in traffic and it resulted in him hitting the back of series Lightweight LR! Lightweight came off with pretty much no damage, same cannot be said for the Outlander.....

Don't ask me about the technicals but have a look here -

http://www.abs-education.org/faqs/faqindex.htm

particularly here -

This was at 40mph on the M66 in slush. ABS makes a big difference there.

Unfortunately I can't switch the ABS off as it wasn't so useful on the fresh snow first thing.

The approach to junctions is a particular issue. At J22 M62 Eastbound, the bottom of the slip road has a cattle grid on it. The ABS doesn't like cattle grids and will cut off the brakes and cause the car to over shoot the give way line. I've learn tto do all my braking before the grid so I know what you mean about the jucntion senario.

The traction control is another really good thing. I was happily climbing compacted snow slopes with the TC working away merrily and flashing its dash light Now that I can switch off to see the difference.

Anyway, the Series 1 was so close it was just two head lights in my mirror. When I let him past he tailgated the next car and then was weaving in and out of the lanes, sometimes even without gaining any advantage in the traffic.

I learnt to drive in the snow and can certainly vouch for getting a bit of experience in first if you can. You do need to know what your chosen vehicle will do in snow and ice.

The Land Rover will be able to move off in more extreme conditions then the Fiesta but after that they both have about the same level of grip when you want to change direction or stop.

A couple of big advantages with the Fiesta is that if you get stuck people will be able to help push you and get you moving again and they won't laugh. Get the Land Rover stuck and you will need to call a fellow Land Rover nutter to come and get you and every one will laugh! :D

It's true, I have mud tires, would rather have all terrains on really. (Can't afford them at the mo)

Where I live half the year by law you have to have snow tires, the mud's are classed as this and because I am off road allot I just leave them on.

But on the roads they are not so hot.

Good snow tires are softer to give you more traction, some have metal studs on but they are not so good on a road.

Not wishing to be a party pooper but what would an insurance company say if you towed somebody (especially something large - i.e. over 3.5 tons) in dangerous conditions and had another accident while towing? Just wondered, that was all. Maybe it isn't an issue.

You'd get told off and likely you'd be liable for any damages.

A bit of common sense goes a long way with things like this though, and if you proceed safely and sensibly I don't think there's any reason not to help others out.

Nothing hear yet in essex.

Didn't stop me last time from working and i don't supose it will this time??

Just got back from a call out and the elctronic signs on the roads are reading "snow is iminant is your journey necissary" when you work for yourself then the answer is yes!!

Take it easy out there and use your nod!!

And i agree there are plenty of idiots to watch for in these conditions!!

Valid point.

Twas only a few feet to a bit we'd cleared.