WEBSITE INFORMATION - PLEASE ALL READ

Les Henson

The current state of the website is as follows - we have enough funding to cover the site for the next 8-months.

For those that don't know - this website costs £120-140 per month.

As this site is here as an independant (do you really want to see adverts all over the place (Britpart, for example)), if we don't have donations from those that use the site, then in 8-months time, it'll no longer be here.

Apart from the uniqueness of this website in that questions are answered quickly - by those that have already done it/seen it/know exactly how it's done. The tech archive is unique - not only because of the content of it, but the pictorial descriptions that helps anybody to do a job in the real world.

From a personal point of view - my section of the tech archive took time to do, was necessarily detailed in an effort to help any old Joe to do what might appear to be a difficult and perhaps expensive job on their vehicle and therefore save a lot of money.

My own little bit has had 84,000 hits the last time I checked (a few months ago now) - assuming that, say, 10.000 people saved money on the information in there - why can't those individuals bung a few quid our way as a form of gratitude? - we would never be in this situation.

Beats me, but this is what evidently happens.

The whole tech archive must save a large percentage of this websites members a lot of money, so why are we in financial difficulties?

Admins work for nothing

Mods work for nothing

So it's tin-rattling time again - we really do need more than a grand spare to be kept up and running. Considering what this site costs, a grand isn't a very long time.

Considering what some members put into this website, the tech archive, the work that the Mods and Admins do - isn't a few quid worth it?

8- months, and the site is gone. Perhaps those that benefit from it being here should consider that.

Les.

Ideal situation would be if the top 100 or so regular posting members each contribute £2 to £5 per month by standing order for a minimum of the next 12 months, that will see us through any possible requirements and is much better than a one off payment as it gives certainty to the forum income.

My Definitive Alarm Spider post has had 26000 views just by itself and I expect has helped fix more than a few spiders, I would like to think that anybody who has fixed their vehicle because of it could spare a few quid out of the couple of hundred you saved by not going to a garage ;)

If I can make a suggestion Les, it would be inspiring to have a link added for what is often called a "money bomb".

An inspirational graph showing update donations to keep this forum alive for many years to come is of great importance.

If there is a graph with say a peak of £5000.00,, this creates an inspiration for all of us to blow the lid off.

Another thing that might provide insight Les, is I have tried numerous times to make donations where each month a small portion is taken out of an account for this forum. My limited abilities understanding how to do this has prevented me from making these donations so far and I had only just begun typing a message to the moderators for help before bumping into this thread.

A summary on my response is,,, I wish to donate into a money bomb knowing this forum will be there for us all in the future,, and I wish there was a simple way a little amount is taken from my account each month to show my gratitude.

Best regards Phil....

PS. I also believe the moderators should have some financial payment to at least cover there time and effort.!

And no, I am not a moderator,, but I know from experience how many days and nights these people work in helping people.

If I can make a suggestion Les, it would be inspiring to have a link added for what is often called a "money bomb".

An inspirational graph showing update donations to keep this forum alive for many years to come is of great importance.

If there is a graph with say a peak of £5000.00,, this creates an inspiration for all of us to blow the lid off.

I think this would work well, make something visible on the home page to remind people to donate

It's all too easy to visit a site and not think about the people who make it all work, and this being independent is far better than the other enthusiast sites.

So what would be an acceptable amount weekly/monthly/yearly for everyone to donate?

Another thing that might provide insight Les, is I have tried numerous times to make donations where each month a small portion is taken out of an account for this forum. My limited abilities understanding how to do this has prevented me from making these donations so far and I had only just begun typing a message to the moderators for help before bumping into this thread.

A summary on my response is,,, I wish to donate into a money bomb knowing this forum will be there for us all in the future,, and I wish there was a simple way a little amount is taken from my account each month to show my gratitude.

Best regards Phil....

PS. I also believe the moderators should have some financial payment to at least cover there time and effort.!

And no, I am not a moderator,, but I know from experience how many days and nights these people work in helping people.

easy way is set up a standing order to the forum [£2 sterling per month is a suggested amount] the account details can be obtained from Hybrid from hell or white90. funding link

I do wonder if this thread is hitting the wrong target audience a little, although i know i need a reminder every now and then ;). But how many people come to the site through google or links elsewhere, and use the tech archive particularly without a thought to the funding? Perhaps the tech archive should be another protected forum that is not accessible to non members - that is not to say that members will automatically contribute, but at least by becoming a member, you will begin to understand that the forum is independant and relies on donations.... Having said that, perhaps that idea would mean that people dont get to see some of the great content on here and thus dont consider joining. I dont know the answer.

I also wonder if this issue is as clear to the members that dont use the international forum much - i never used to, i just used the defender section and the tech archive, and until i came up here i didnt know there was a problem with funding. I know there are links at the top of the page and in peoples signatures, but some folk just dont click on them. Perhaps a forum funding thread like this one should appear periodically and be duplicated at the top of all of the vehicle specific sections and tech archive?

Anyway, have PM'd Nige about sending a cheque. Have donated by Paypal in the past, but i'm guessing they take a cut and so the forum gets less.

I do wonder if this thread is hitting the wrong target audience a little, although i know i need a reminder every now and then ;). But how many people come to the site through google or links elsewhere, and use the tech archive particularly without a thought to the funding? Perhaps the tech archive should be another protected forum that is not accessible to non members - that is not to say that members will automatically contribute, but at least by becoming a member, you will begin to understand that the forum is independant and relies on donations.... Having said that, perhaps that idea would mean that people dont get to see some of the great content on here and thus dont consider joining. I dont know the answer.

I also wonder if this issue is as clear to the members that dont use the international forum much - i never used to, i just used the defender section and the tech archive, and until i came up here i didnt know there was a problem with funding. I know there are links at the top of the page and in peoples signatures, but some folk just dont click on them. Perhaps a forum funding thread like this one should appear periodically and be duplicated at the top of all of the vehicle specific sections and tech archive?

Anyway, have PM'd Nige about sending a cheque. Have donated by Paypal in the past, but i'm guessing they take a cut and so the forum gets less.

Some valid points above, Google sure seems to arrive regularly at LR4x4 whenever you search for LR related issues.

Good point about PP taking a cut, but as a reg'd company does it cost us to bank cheques?

Just donated by PP anyway, lest I forget :rolleyes: Come on the rest of you.