Death by bench vice

daveturnbull

post-904-0-84305800-1420233797_thumb.jpgpost-904-0-29210100-1420233809_thumb.jpg

Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.

To add to my sore head, face and back from 2x recent bonnet prop incidents, I now also have a sore left buttock from being launched across the workshop when the vice let go. It is (was) a Record No4, so not some cheap tat, and I'm no iron man, only regular office sized muscles.

Maybe I should just stay inside and watch mind-rotting carp on the telly instead....

I think you are overdue on making an offering to the Home Workshop Gods .....the usual way of throwing something

really hard and really far sometimes helps :P

on a more mundane note what were you doing when it let go ? Unusual for a Record vice

cheers

Steveb

Jaw faces look in good condition ... I'd keep them before the rest goes to the scrap man ;)

BTW I think you fractured it the last time you used it, there looks to be a darker area in both photos where the crack started.

.... might just be the photo

Find yourself a Forged Steel Record vice. Cast vice tend to break because you've been hitting it with a hammer where a forged vice is more ductile and will never shatter!

They are harder to find - but on the whole don't sell for more second hand as most people have no idea what Forged means!

Si

Record vice's are way better than anything Clark can manage I have a Clark vice at home and record at work. The Clark is ok but you can't abuse it go and buy your self a press I have a cheap 10ton bench press cost about £120 from memory and contact record about yours.

Mike

I had a similar sized Record vice break just like that - I was also (ab)using it to press a bush into a panhard rod :-)

I ended up buying a massive old vice - probably just as old as me, from a vintage car rally .

It looks like someone can carry on using it for many years after I've gone.

I bought a Clarke about 15 years ago, served me well fixed to the corner of a workmate

Money was tight at the time would have really wanted a record but this one has not been a problem

I went with a swivel base one and one that could hold pipes a bit similar to this one in the link below but with pipe vice jaws (handy for anything tubular) yes it does turn on its base with excessive force but I normally clamp the base by tapping the locking arm pin with a hammer

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cvr4rb?da=1&TC=SRC-vice

Would I buy again .... Probably just maybe without the swivel base although I have found it handy sometimes, not broken it yet

I picked my vice up from gumtree for the tidy sum of £10. From memory I think it's a Woden (forgotten which number), which means that it must be at least 45 years old :) It is a monster, could do with a new set of jaws but I struggled to find the right set when I looked a few months back. Quick release works a treat, not sure how wide it opens but I can fit the bottom casing of my 8274 in it upside down easily so it must be getting on for around 8 inches I think.

Find yourself a Forged Steel Record vice. Cast vice tend to break because you've been hitting it with a hammer where a forged vice is more ductile and will never shatter!

They are harder to find - but on the whole don't sell for more second hand as most people have no idea what Forged means!

Si

+1 for that

I did the same as you on an identical vice, although I was hitting it with a sledge because it was seized from being left outside for a number of years :blush:

Luckily I inherited a family heirloom Record No. 75 forged vice. It was my Grandfathers and my mother says she remembers playing with it as a child, we're talking 1950's at least.

It's identical to the one below and I've wailed on it on numerous occasions. It's on a locking turntable so that mounted on a corner it's both right and left handed, it has a little anvil, lube eyes, opens to about a foot, and even has a little pipe bender at the bottom. EDIT: Offset jaws too.

I think there should be a picture of it in the dictionary beside the phrase "They don't make 'em like they used to"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35604059@N03/6986535866/

Another vote for an old vice .....

I picked up a Parkinson Model F from the local tip many years ago for a fiver. It has seen lots of abuse at my hands and hasn't died yet. I've seen similar ones from time to time at boot fairs going pretty cheap.

post-25689-0-00146800-1420308909_thumb.jpg

According to the markings it's a 'Perfect Vise', not sure I'd go that far but it is pretty good.

post-25689-0-13621000-1420308918_thumb.jpg

.... and here's a random picture of a fancy turret drill vice I picked up the other day

post-25689-0-44071700-1420308932_thumb.jpg