Am I missing something?

Before you answer the above, I know that I am a few sandwiches short of a picnic so no need to add comments related to that.

Anyway in the two years I have been 'off the scene' something seems to have happened to Defender Owners, accessories and general direction of things. Now, I'm aware that the Defender is coming to the end of production and there is talk is of a massive price hike in Defender when it happens, although I can't see why the British public will all of a sudden want a Defender pushing the prices through the roof.

But what is with all of these 'Urban truck' owners that have surfaced spending what looks like the price of a small mortgage on colour coordinated seats, leather trim, stainless bolt on's and ICE systems that cost thousands. Now I know that Khan and Overfinch have been around for an age selling IMHO awful conversions to Arabs with more money than sense but it now seems to be mainstream.

I have a Defender because it suits my hobbies, lets me get off the beaten track, and go on adventures, I have modified it to suit my needs and although I know it's not to everyone's taste suits me, Although it has now become my daily drive again it will still get used off road and on green lanes etc.

But buying a Defender to never even take it near a green lane? Spending more time polishing it and paying someone else to bolt on accessories than driving it and constantly worrying about factory recalls, rust patches, water leaks etc, And then changing the tyres to the latest A/T's with bling alloys just seems a waste of time money and energy. The green oval runs deep in me but surely they would be better buying something different, without the inherent Defender problems or waiting for the new Defender.

So what is the point, or am I really missing something?

Jason.

It's quite amusing in some ways. There is a lot of member-measuring going on on some forums it seems.

Does have its advantages, I got a set of standard suspension from Urban Truck for a good price. Presumably because someone had bought a brand new 90 and proceeded to lift it 2" and fit 305 mud tyres in order to drive to Waitrose. And to be fair people have always done that with 4x4s, everyone will recall spray on mud for Porsche Cayennes and other Chealsea tractors, but there seems to have been an explosion in it with Defenders particularly in recent years.

TBH, if I lived in a city/town I'd prefer driving something I didn't have to care about too much given the muppets I see every time I venture there.... making it all shiney and nickable would be the last thing to do.

• Like 1

The point is, it is trendy, end of.

Very sad really.

+1

Look at how the G-Wagen has been ruined in the same way. Once an affordable alternative if you wanted a decent off road machine. But the fashion icon it has become has ruined the used market for mere mortals like myself and I suspect most other off roaders.

Know what you mean, I haven't bought any of the mags for ages, bought one recently (bored on a car ferry) and thought I'd accidentally bought a copy of Max Power.

I really hope it's a passing fad and all the flash barstewards will get bored and move on.

As above. This year I went to the Landy show at Malvern, Billing show, and the Overland show at Stratford, and I couldn't believe how many blinged up Defenders were there!

Thankfully its probably too late for them to turn Defender into a fashion brand like Barbour or Belstaff et al? Scary horrible thought.

Barry

TBH, if I lived in a city/town I'd prefer driving something I didn't have to care about too much given the muppets I see every time I venture there.... making it all shiney and nickable would be the last thing to do.

Your not wrong there, my wife works in the middle of sheffield and her citroen looks like it's been to Iraq. I can't bring myself to repair it or replace it so it just looks awful :angry2:

It gets more respect than my car in car parks and junctions now though :hysterical:

There is a current thread on another forum where the question is what are the best looking mud tyres for my defender.. OP was clear he did not care how they drove as long as they looked good.. bizarre.

I know we all spend our hard earned how we like but .... maybe I'm getting old

Its symptomatic of the Spin and bling culture where any sense of function over form has been lost , I was looking at a tipper truck earlier today , the guy with it was saying how the designers haven't got a clue what they are at , its for use in quarries, and building sites, down on the front corner of the cab is a sculpted and styled headlight assy with built in led running lights and flasher lamp , covered by a moulded plastic guard that's about as effective as a chocolate teapot , they had a led drl fail its sold as a unit just over £300 :( At least owners havent quite got to the stage of the morons who stretch tyres to fit on rims that are overwidth :wacko:

The defender has become stylish and therefore the people who have lots of money to spend on cars fancy one, add this to lots of people saying they will go up in value it looks like a good option.

Let's not forget the defender is a fairly cheap car, compare it's prices with merc/audi/astons and it's very cheap not to mention the depreciation is far better than similer vehicles. You have to add all the bling to get it expensive enough to register on theses people's radar.

I'm looking forward to buying one with comfy seats and a good stereo in a few years when the engine and box is knackered it's got some dents and the wheels are kerbed, sticking a nice engine in it and going round the sheep.

Will.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I don't know whether I'm in the flash barstewards camp or not...does rebuilding the entire vehicle myself earn me some brownie points in the hardcore crew? I have a farm, stay up single track/never treated roads, so my 90 tows and treks across fields regularly. I doubt it'll ever be headlight deep in a bomb hole just for the hell of it.

I agree that some of the bling suppliers have taken things too far in some areas in my opinion...but if someone likes and can afford it then why the hell not? Everyone on here has their own take on what makes a great defender and not all will use their vehicle in the same way. If most of the urban trucks are pampered then they'll make great buys further down the line.

Hmmm, I don't know whether I'm in the flash barstewards camp or not...does rebuilding the entire vehicle myself earn me some brownie points in the hardcore crew? I have a farm, stay up single track/never treated roads, so my 90 tows and treks across fields regularly. I doubt it'll ever be headlight deep in a bomb hole just for the hell of it.

I agree that some of the bling suppliers have taken things too far in some areas in my opinion...but if someone likes and can afford it then why the hell not? Everyone on here has their own take on what makes a great defender and not all will use their vehicle in the same way. If most of the urban trucks are pampered then they'll make great buys further down the line.

Certainly not, being able to turn a spanner I thought was the whole point of owning a defender, there is nothing wrong with a smart looking truck and going to extreme off road sites is not everyone's idea of fun.

I agree at some point the pampered defender should make a great buy but when people have spent as much on bling as the truck cost then I fear they will just expect far more than it's worth.

Jason

Its symptomatic of the Spin and bling culture where any sense of function over form has been lost , I was looking at a tipper truck earlier today , the guy with it was saying how the designers haven't got a clue what they are at , its for use in quarries, and building sites, down on the front corner of the cab is a sculpted and styled headlight assy with built in led running lights and flasher lamp , covered by a moulded plastic guard that's about as effective as a chocolate teapot , they had a led drl fail its sold as a unit just over £300 :( At least owners havent quite got to the stage of the morons who stretch tyres to fit on rims that are overwidth :wacko:

I once clipped a small post in a lorry whilst reversing and tuening around due to a road closure. Old lorries with metal steps and bumpers would've ended up with a small ding. This lorry had lots of moulded plastic. I had to replace front bumper, front quarter, headlight, step moulding and washer bottle. £2,500 :/

Though it is starting to make D1s a more attractive vehicle in terms of off road ability on a budget, agree it doesn't hold the agricultural appeal of a Defender with it's nut and bolt approach but capable none the less.

It has been of great amusement to watch the bolt on babies getting more expensive toys to play with, or at least to bolt on and polish on a Sunday ;)

I just can't see why there's an issue with people wishing to improve the "quality" of their defenders, be it for on road manners or off. Most rebuilds include numerous sound deadening applications, gearing alterations for better cruising manners (they were never designed for motorways), engine upgrades for more power and driveability but if someone buys an ICON, Khan, Bespoke, Twisted etc etc then are they poseurs or bolt on babies?

Anyone reading this thread with such a vehicle that maybe looking for some technical info won't feel very welcome as it would appear they'd be slated for admitting to owning the aforementioned models.

There are numerous very successful 4x4 outfitters out there that will quite happily relieve anyone of their hard earned for everything from chassis swaps to accessory fitment...so in essence if you've outsourced your rebuild that makes it the epitome of a bolt on baby?

It is one of the most personally customisable vehicles available at the moment....the limiting factors are your imagination and the depth of your pockets.

• Like 2

I have agree with Scott here. There not to my taste but what do I know I like ibex. The point is they have a vehicle that is infinitely upgradable and like those on here they are. It doesn't matter what gets nail on or if they pay someone else to do it. It's keeping the brand alive. So embrace and live with it you can smile when there £££ interior gets wet and yours never sets.

Mike

• Like 1

I did think to mention this in the "other" engine thread thats rattling along, I cant see the point of a lot of these modifications myself but as soon as we start using silly phrases like "tdi fanboy" and "bolt on babies" its just a signal for me to stop reading the thread - I'm sure there are people with good input who just get turned off contributing.