Today's the last day

nickwilliams

Anyone remember the Mahindra Jeep? Indian built Jeep copy.

So Defender production is finished, there's a lot of tooling going spare.

Aluminium is still expensive, there's a glut of cheap steel.

The far east has the skills and infrastructure to produce vehicles, labour is cheap.

They tend not to worry about safety and emissions.

So... a Defender looky-like built in the far east either by or under license from Tata with all steel panels, an International 2.8 engine and a build quality the Brummies could only dream about.

Any takers?

& it will not be for sale to UK/Eu countries as it certainly will not meet the required standards.

I dont care how soon everyone forgets this last day / end of an era nonsense and we can all get back to discussing building fixing and modifying our Landrovers ...

They will probably be round for another twenty years, or at least as long as normal people can afford diesel and in truth Landrovers last involvement in them was twenty or thirty years ago when they rolled off the line and they lost interest in them

:-)

Very sad day.

Emissions and safety concerns cannot be an issue. If they are a problem in the EU, why would it be acceptable for Tata to switch manufacture to a low labour cost countries with no environmental or safety standards. At the least this would be a flagrant disregard by Tata of corporate standards and worldwide environmental targets and would cancel out any action by the EU to reduce emissions and improve safety standards.

It comes down to build costs, so that Tata will unashamedly use a third world build of the Defender marque to extract the last bit of profit they can wring from it.

Barry

& it will not be for sale to UK/Eu countries as it certainly will not meet the required standards.

Exactly ! However, you may want to google DFSK vans, loose copies of the old Suzuki carry van, built (badly) in China.

Imported into this country, no ABS or air bags. Put through an IVA I believe.

If there was a Defender being built somewhere, someone would find a way of getting them here.

Anyone have any info on the new defender? Had a look around and this is what I know of it: It will probably be built in Slovakia, it's going to look different to the DC100 concept and it's going to launch in 2018 with a price tag of around £30,000.

Also seen people are speculating that another new concept showing the next Defender could possibly make a public appearance before the end of the year.

Anyone know anything for definite about this?

I can't remember the exact figures from a pre Christmas factor visit but it's takes something like 300 staff to make 500 Defenders and a 150 to make 1000 Range Rovers in the same period...

It sounds about right!

I think the chap said there were something like nearly 700 robots on the Rangie line, and 7 on the defender!

Anyone have any info on the new defender? Had a look around and this is what I know of it: It will probably be built in Slovakia, it's going to look different to the DC100 concept and it's going to launch in 2018 with a price tag of around £30,000.

Also seen people are speculating that another new concept showing the next Defender could possibly make a public appearance before the end of the year.

As far as I know the only thing confirmed by Land Rover is that it won't look like the DC100.... Anything else out there is a guess as Land Rover have managed to keep everything very close.

• Like 1

Does it really matter that it's gone ? The new Defenders have just become a toy/second car fashion accessory for the wealthy, competing with each other to have their mechanic fit the most expensive bolt ons.

Its demise won't affect me in the slightest.

In fact the sooner we rid ourselves of these faux enthusiasts, the sooner prices will normalise.

There, I said it. ?

Mo

• Like 1

Does it really matter that it's gone ? The new Defenders have just become a toy/second car fashion accessory for the wealthy, competing with each other to have their mechanic fit the most expensive bolt ons.

Its demise won't affect me in the slightest.

In fact the sooner we rid ourselves of these faux enthusiasts, the sooner prices will normalise.

There, I said it. ?

Mo

:stirthepot:

I think there are still a few new Defender owners who have a vague idea of what that funny little stick next to the big long one does and don't agonise over stuff like snow foam, clay bars, polishes, detailing wheel nuts, how many stitches to the inch look best on hide covered door cards and what tyres look nice on Solihull's finest.

Anyway look here chaps, I'm looking to get bespoke heated main and transfer gearlear knobs made up for mine. The colour will be burgundy with contrasting tan stitches which I think will contrast superbly with my 65th anniversary Gilt Edition Carlos Fandango 7 1/2" steering wheel, problem is I'm not sure what covering would be the kindest to my sensitive skin? I think nubuck is a little rough to the touch and Connolly hide is, well, just so common, so I'm thinking kid leather ...any thoughts?

;):stirthepot:

• Like 1

If that's not a marketing/PR/research planted post then I don't know what is!

So RachelM (read: JLR) make it in Solihul, make it £20k and make it properly