Newest image of the next Defender ??

tuko

Roaming around the interweb this morning I can along this image of the possible next Defender, anyone else seen this? I have to admit it's a far cry better than that 100 thingy a few years ago.

post-194-0-12031200-1465296089_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-75973300-1465296107_thumb.jpg

Todd.

I'm sure that, if they're aiming for the utility and leisure market, they'll screw it up as usual and hand more sales to Toyota/Hyundai/Great Wall, etc. Waiting for Land Rover to get their act together is like supporting a team that could make it all the way if only they didn't always get drunk before the big game and make a mess of it.

IF, and that is a big IF, the new one would look anything like that it could be a good one.

This is the 1st "concept" that sort of appeals to me.

Proper engine, heater and tow capacity and I think I could be looking for it....

^^^^^
Exactly what I was thinking. Is there anybody currently working at Land Rover that would even understand the concept let alone push for something other than electronic aids in a production vehicle to enhance off road performance? The only way to get portals and lockers in a Land Rover is to build one yourself. Why would you though if you can buy something else that does the job better? I don't envy JLR replacing the defender but if we were honest, it wasn't really that good, just easy for folks like ourselves to make better and closer to our individual requirements. I fear it is this that will be lost with the replacement and why old defenders will carry on for decades to come.

Did the article go on to mention the Defender replacement's engine, the displacement of which will be so small they'll have to invent a new system of units to measure it?

When at the factory early part of the year they clearly stated the design was not even started yet so i dont see it being designed in less than 5 months. Looks like the dc100 that has been photoshopped. They also said design wont even be done for at least early next year

I can't see them replacing the Defender either. What's the rationale? The D3 & 4 are the Defender now, used by as many tradesmen if not more and the ladies who lunch over horses.

Brass tacks is that yes a replacement might be as good if not better off road but in today's world who gives a ****, not enough people to make it a money spinner, and it damn sure won't be as rugged unless they go full plastic panels a la Citroen Cactus.

Maybe I'm not paying enough attention but it seems the target dates get pushed further and furthe put like as if they're hoping we'll all forget about it

I can't see them replacing the Defender either. What's the rationale? The D3 & 4 are the Defender now, used by as many tradesmen if not more and the ladies who lunch over horses.

And they are being replaced with something the same basic shape as the rest of the lineup.

Ah, but Toyota have owned the utility market for many years now, proving the market exists. The difference is that for Toyota, the LandCruiser, Prado and Hilux are just a small part of what this huge company does. For wee little Land Rover, the Defender seemed to take up quite a percentage of factory space and money. If they really were serious about actually, really taking on the utility market - which I won't believe will ever happen - then whatever they came up with would have to be very good. Not with a dinky engine and wonky gearbox. So while they could take a good shot at the utility market, I agree with the above: they'll just make some sort of a nauseating "lifestyle" car based on an existing platform.

It's just such a shame. They could have done much better. Starting in about, er, 1974.

Someone I may know might have friends at the factory, and probably got drunk with them at the weekend, and there was a good chance they let out that there is a new Defender, planned for production in an east european plant. But if all that happened, they probably wouldnt have had a pic of the styling on them, and then would have reverted to talking about boobs :ph34r:

I've heard a few rumours from people who are tangentially connected with LR that there will be one, but how much of the detail/speculation I've heard is anywhere near the mark I am very doubtful of.

What amuses me is the number of people who have no clue whatsoever but are absolutely convinced it will be rubbish :rolleyes: then again, if it hasn't got a 200TDi and doesn't leak like a sieve they'll claim it's not a proper Land Rover and they've sold out / ruined everything / we're all going to hell in a handcart :stirthepot:

I agree that people are going to say it's garbage, which is a bit early because no one has seen or driven one.

a bit like saying top gear will be carp before you saw it.

You conservative bunch...

Daan (series 3s rule!)

I've heard a few rumours from people who are tangentially connected with LR that there will be one, but how much of the detail/speculation I've heard is anywhere near the mark I am very doubtful of.

What amuses me is the number of people who have no clue whatsoever but are absolutely convinced it will be rubbish :rolleyes: then again, if it hasn't got a 200TDi and doesn't leak like a sieve they'll claim it's not a proper Land Rover and they've sold out / ruined everything / we're all going to hell in a handcart :stirthepot:

I'm only going by their track record . . . so I find it impossible to believe they'll suddenly come up with something that would convince Australians not to buy a LandCruiser instead.

It's fun speculating though!