New Defender

Frankly I don't think they care,the longer it goes on the more the press keep talking about it - free advertising... I don't think they care if they ever do build one,they are making plenty of money from churning out blingy posh cr-p,with more toys than you can imagine.Only the badge remains.

LR will build vehicles that make money for them.

There's no sentiment, if a new Defender will make money they will build it. It will probably be full of tech and a ruggedized version of an existing platform. Although there is talk of a separate aluminium chassis. 

It could be good, but sadly l doubt prices will start at much less than £30,000

As I have said before, I don't believe it exists. It is (would be...) probably the single most interesting new model of this decade, and no spy shots, no information leaks, nothing. All that exists are various rehashed Photoshop horrors based on that ghastly DC100 thing which looks like the village idiot built a Mini out of Duplo.

Every other (less interesting) model has been spotted somewhere during the development phase. Whether JLR gave up on it, or never started, I do not know, but I do not believe a replacement vehicle exists in any state of mature development unless it looks so similar to the rest of their blobmobile range that nobody has actually noticed it (in which case they might as well not have bothered, because it'll be no use as a Defender replacement).

Because I don't believe it exists, a good-as-new Puma 110 Utility with 4000 miles on it came under my nose the other day, and I bought it. That and the trusty 300Tdi (still with just 30,000 miles on it) will keep me in Defenders until my back won't tolerate them any more.

• Haha 1

That's an interesting link, driving down to Girvan along the picturesque Ayrshire coast (when it's sunny) I came across a Land Rover Experience fleet...Velar, Sport, Disco5, RRS, Evoque....all 17plates and bumbling away at the rear was a 65 110 Defender. All resplendent in white with the LR oval on the bonnet so it was either still currently available for playing in or was a support vehicle.

Time will tell, think I'll stick to the original versions for a while though....

I think something will break cover before long.

How far along the line it is, l don't know. I'm not sure Land Rover/Tata really know how to replace Defender.

But there have been reports from LR that it is "near to completion" and l don't think that lying is in the LR remit.

Edited by Lightning

I read an article yesterday speculating about which brand JLR are likely to buy soon.  It included MG, Vauxhall and a couple of others, but most interestingly (and I don't agree with it because of the protectionism that is becoming a theme over there), ended in the conclusion that the most likely brand they'll buy is Jeep.

To be fair, if I was in the market for a new vehicle, then a Jeep Wrangler would be very close to the top of the list, more so if I was in the states of course.

By all accounts, JLR could benefit from some of the design ethos as well as the engineering around suspension particularly. 

On 01/10/2017 at 6:55 PM, BogMonster said:

until my back won't tolerate them any more.

Simple fix for that - put a set of L322 seats in like I have :rolleyes:, haven't even bothered getting around to replacing the heavy duty springs I still have on there. To say it's transformed the ride is an understatement.