Thoughts and musings on the new defender

23 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

By the numbers the new Defender is rolling on tyres which are over 32", while a 235/85R16 is under 32". Was no optical illusion, I stood next between the two vehicles and the tyres were taller on the new one.

Give me a break.  31.7 versus 32.0.  Nobody can see that. The problem is the tiny sidewalls that prevent you from reducing air pressure.  6.0 versus 7.9 = 30% difference.

Edited by Red90
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Give me a break.  31.7 versus 32.0.  Nobody can see that. The problem is the tiny sidewalls that prevent you from reducing air pressure.  6.0 versus 7.9 = 30% difference.

Could clearly see the difference fella ;) I was there...... but I do know were you are coming from :)

And you are assuming both tyres are strictly meeting the maths. Often tyres vary quite a bit. And I think it's worth noting, that the new Defender tyres on 19" rims have a chunkier sidewall than the standard tyres on a D2 or p38 Range Rover when running 18" rims. Which a lot of them had from the factory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

By the numbers the new Defender is rolling on tyres which are over 32", while a 235/85R16 is under 32". Was no optical illusion, I stood next between the two vehicles and the tyres were taller on the new one.

They're nominally the same size, though you'll get quite a bit of variation from manufacturer to manufacturer (check their data - most 235/85s are around that 815mm mark).  Maybe the new one looked taller because it had heaps of air in it?  Shame you didn't get a tape out...

Let's have a pointless argument.  Or maybe someone can actually put the two side by side, off the vehicles and with equal pressure?  I know the 33" tyres on my bog standard 110 are bigger than either, fit perfectly and improve the gearing.  That's what really matters.

14 hours ago, deep said:

They're nominally the same size, though you'll get quite a bit of variation from manufacturer to manufacturer (check their data - most 235/85s are around that 815mm mark).  Maybe the new one looked taller because it had heaps of air in it?  Shame you didn't get a tape out...

Let's have a pointless argument.  Or maybe someone can actually put the two side by side, off the vehicles and with equal pressure?  I know the 33" tyres on my bog standard 110 are bigger than either, fit perfectly and improve the gearing.  That's what really matters.

Not sure why anyone wants to or is even trying to argue it. I was there, made an observation and simply relayed it in this thread.

Also by the maths, they are not quite the same size, although the difference is minor. But nominally, they are not identical.

Screenshot 2020-08-05 11.48.55.png

5 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Out on shift the night before last, crewed with Kath, a middle aged Scots lady who grew up with Land Rovers.

Mo: Look, theres a new Defender !

Kath: where ?

Mo: there !

Kath: What ? That one ?

Mo: yup.

Kath: why doesn't it look like a Land Rover ? 

Mo: I don't know, it wasn't me !

Kath: It looks rubbish, it's not a proper Land Rover ! You couldn't pee in the back of that one and let run out the holes.

Mo: Er, no, probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Different people, different priorities 🥴

Thought I'd share.

Mo 

Haha. Its a serious concern Mo, especially in the wake of COVID19. As I need to start to travel more but COVID is still around peeing in the back of the 110 and avoiding the dirty services whilst on my long drives will become quite a priority

Edited by reb78

23 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Haha. Its a serious concern Mo, especially in the wake of COVID19. As I need to start to travel more but COVID is still around peeing in the back of the 110 and avoiding the dirty services whilst on my long drives will become quite a priority

Well, the new one must be better because it is so waterproof, allegedly, that you could take your pee home with you, so that you don't share water-borne diseases around...

Yuk.

10 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Apparently, the stables of her youth were further than a quick walk to the farm house but it had a water hose and a derelict Land Rover 🤣 she claims all the girls did it !

Mo

Someone has probably found it, restored it, and raved about the patina ....

or is that peetina? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Naks said:

some good news for the people stuck in the previous century:

attachment.php?attachmentid=583349&stc=1

Addition of a coil suspension option to the 110?  Excellent!

Even though nostalgia isn't what it used to be, it has to be said that the previous century was a nicer time to be around...

On 7/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, deep said:

They might have done just that, as in expecting a 400 hp vehicle to need more braking power than the 200 hp version.  While you could write a book on the stupid design aspects of modern vehicles (and the new Defender in particular), that one isn't particularly stupid.

I note a few reviews complain about the ridiculously over-sensitive brakes though, so maybe they are all over-braked.  On the other hand, that could be due to  the genuinely stupid use of fly-by-wire, indirect brakes...

Well I disagree on the first bit and still think parts commonality is a thing to aspire to, but it obviously makes any mod that involves butchering the brakes - or swapping them for ones off a different model - enough to massively void any type approval in any 1st world country!

However fly by wire indirect brakes scare me a lot more, if that's also really a thing :blink:

57 minutes ago, BogMonster said:

Well I disagree on the first bit and still think parts commonality is a thing to aspire to, but it obviously makes any mod that involves butchering the brakes - or swapping them for ones off a different model - enough to massively void any type approval in any 1st world country!

However fly by wire indirect brakes scare me a lot more, if that's also really a thing :blink:

Surely it would be void warranty. Not Type Approval. At least not in the U.K.  There are guidelines on what you can do to a vehicle before it would need an Individual Vehicle Approval. And changing the brakes as an aftermarket modification, on their own wouldn’t cause this. 

• Like 1

I saw one!

In its natural territory -100mph outside lane of the M5 this evening.

Thoughts -I couldn't see the front for long so mostly from behind:

• Centre spare wheel looks really odd for some reason, perhaps it is because it is so wide?
  • The 'shoulder' is too wide, it makes the top of the cabin look like it is really narrow -especially compared to the D3/4
  • Do you really need 9 brake lights?
  • Front end looks really, really busy.
  • Ground clearance in road going mode is terrible at the wishbones, they seem to point upwards toward the hub, though perhaps it was in super low mode as it was at high speed cruise?

If I remember anything else, will post back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I saw one!

In its natural territory -100mph outside lane of the M5 this evening.

Thoughts -I couldn't see the front for long so mostly from behind:

• Centre spare wheel looks really odd for some reason, perhaps it is because it is so wide?
  • The 'shoulder' is too wide, it makes the top of the cabin look like it is really narrow -especially compared to the D3/4
  • Do you really need 9 brake lights?
  • Front end looks really, really busy.
  • Ground clearance in road going mode is terrible at the wishbones, they seem to point upwards toward the hub, though perhaps it was in super low mode as it was at high speed cruise?

If I remember anything else, will post back.

It braked?