New workshop project

The main door of the building faces more or less directly south-west, hence needing to endure good seals on the doors.

In time I may have a car port in front which will help reduce the effect of wind-driven rain, however it would need to be spaced off the front of the building a little way so wouldn’t offer full protection. 

15 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The only fixings I’ve pre-drilled are the ones where there’s a join on a batten and so I’ve only got half a batten width of cladding piece to screw through.

You could put a double batten to give a more secure end fixing of cladding.

Thanks all. I’m very pleased with how the cladding looks. Expensive, but worth it.

Doing the back wall today, I started faffing with ladders etc. and then decided it would be much safer and easier to work off a platform so knocked myself up a little scaffold. Even has a safety rail :D

10CFEC08-36CD-4D00-A48D-16CC7DE4D5BA.thumb.jpeg.0090ad9f52ebd033599be23e3240217a.jpeg

After fitting up the trims for the main door aperture and working out how I’m going to do my hinges I started framing up. It’s a very slow process for an amateur like myself but I got the smaller of the two doors done. The larger one will be more or less the same, but about twice as wide. 

E8CDB9BE-7A0F-4E5E-AC1C-CC3032E9536E.thumb.jpeg.e6b300dd243016fd10d66abc01033c0c.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes the plan is to paint the floor, will help to seal and protect the concrete as well as being nicer to work on. I’ll probably try the company that @FridgeFreezer used as that seemed to work well for him. I must resist the temptation to start moving things in beforehand, as I know that if I have to empty things out to do it then it will never get done.

Walls too - light grey for the floor and white on the walls, though the latter will be bog standard emulsion :D

Yep - the interior walls will be sheathed (in OSB) which will provide the racking strength as well as an internal wall surface. After the insulation goes in.

Got the second door framed today, I will have to clad it after hanging as there’s no way I’ll be able to lift it if I do it before. Only one brace on this one due to the width, but it’s one piece lapped into the middle ledge so nice and strong.

62C8470F-BEF3-461B-9B39-E4D0D5A1A4A4.thumb.jpeg.a72906c1301d02921477c02232125f3e.jpeg

Propped the smaller door in place for now to keep the rain out, which is how I know I’ll never lift the bigger one - ‘kin heavy!

73BB5CBF-F4ED-4028-B3C1-859FEC0351D3.thumb.jpeg.18cdd85830942fbd7d27a4459499bf47.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

Got the second door framed today, I will have to clad it after hanging as there’s no way I’ll be able to lift it if I do it before.

Propped the smaller door in place for now to keep the rain out, which is how I know I’ll never lift the bigger one - ‘kin heavy!

Has this made you review the number, size, and style of hinges you will be using?

Regards

• Like 1