Hmmm - someone else is 'watching me'

Peaklander

Sometime over the summer I registered with JustPark at a car park, in order to pay the parking fee.

This morning I received this email. The contents are correct, my MOT is due but I wonder why the information was exchanged / why they were required to validate my registration.

I might be turning into a grumpy old man. Perhaps this isn't a big deal...

JustPark

Hi Tim,
When you added vehicle registration provided to your JustPark account, we were required to validate it with the DVSA. The details they return to us included your MOT date.
It’s due in 4 weeks on 15/12/2020, and I thought you might find a friendly reminder helpful. 

If you haven’t decided where to book yet, you should visit BookMyGarage. Several of our team used them recently and all had 10/10 experiences. They have a comprehensive list of good local garages with great prices and real customer reviews.

I’ve checked the Government guidance and MOTs are permitted during the national lockdown.
Hope you have a good day,
Hannah
  • Haha 1

You gave your registration, they looked it up in the free API provided by the government which happens to return your MOT date. They saw ££ in their eyes because they also have an MOT booking service.

And most likely in the link next to the checkbox "I agree to sell my soul" they somewhere mention they'll do this.

Probably as above. Maybe 'justified' because they only want to allow vehicles with valid MOT on what is often private land.

Still think JustPark is a good service, we always use it when we visit UK. Last time we even had a good chat with the friendly owner of the house where had reserved a space. His daughter had heard me drive up. 🙂

Filip

I like just park, I didn't know they did this as I only use it for my work car and not registered for my 110.

I think it would be useful if their emails said "Hi Phil, something has fallen off your Land Rover 110. You may wish to have a look underneath" :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I found that I have only used this app once, for an hour's parking and that was over a year ago. I logged into their website to have a look at what they do, after realising from the comments above, that their primary purpose is to facilitate users finding a space and making a booking in advance  - a park on my drive facility. 

In my case it was for an hour of parking at the side of Mounts Bay near Marazion in Cornwall and it appeared to be a 'normal' car park.

Anyway I'm not complaining, just a little surprised that my data was shared in this way. Their Privacy Statement is clear though and of course it wouldn't have made a jot of difference if I had read it before we stopped for that scenic cup of coffee. I can just imagine what would have happened if I'd said "hang-on, before we pay, let me just read these simple terms and conditions and the privacy statement.

For the record, this is the relevant part of the privacy terms, with the last part of the paragraph explaining "why they need to check on the MOT":

1. Number plate (VRM) - we store this for enforcement purposes and also safety purposes. We share this with third party enforcement companies and parking space operators along with parking session dates and times, and sometimes your name, subject to terms outlined in separate Data Sharing Agreements held between JustPark and these third party companies outlining each company’s obligations relating to the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. We also use the VRM to check with the DVSA that a vehicle has a valid MOT certificate at the time of a booking as this is a requirement of some of our space owners to ensure that vehicles parked in their spaces are safe and roadworthy.

That still does not permit them to contact you after the event about your MOT expiry.

Unless there is other specifics surrounding potentially sharing or storing your details, and using them for other purposes than parking, it would be a clear breach of GDPR rules.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

That still does not permit them to contact you after the event about your MOT expiry.

Unless there is other specifics surrounding potentially sharing or storing your details, and using them for other purposes than parking, it would be a clear breach of GDPR rules.

Agreed. They used your data for something other than what they explicitly listed. But I'm guessing there's some more legalese further on that allows them to do it.

But if you feel especially bored you can always report them to your privacy watchdog. They might have time to care somewhere in the next decade.

7 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

Just accept that any company who wants any of your information will use it for their gain in some way and not neccessarily for the original purpose.

Data is big money these days.

e.g. Amazon is NOT a facility/sales company it is a Data Analytics company using the largest data source it's web sales.

• Like 2

Every keystroke, every email, every phone call, every text you ever made is recorded somewhere, and will be used somehow. No matter what you consent to, and whatever rules may be breached. You may even be viewed with the camera in your laptop. Your TV and Alexa could be listening in ..............

Get used to it guys, it is only going to get worse.

• Like 1

I had an appointment today at the Dentist ( don't worry yourselves, i'm fine )

On friday i got a phonecall from the dentist, who is a small 2 person dentist* and staff operation, checking with me about covid etc and what would happen today.

On saturday i received a text from the dentist asking me reminding me of my appointment and could i fill in my forms online please.

What forms? I've been with them for years..

Clicked on the link and it took me to the ukdentalhub.

What's the uk dental hub then? 

****ed if i know, but the site wanted all my details, name, address, DOB including me telling them what i was having done at my appointment for, my dental history, the whole shebang.

I declined to fill it in.

When i got to the reception today for my appointment and was body scanned for germs and then placed in a isolated bubble tent in my underpants..( ok that wasn't quite true ) i asked why i got the text.

Apparently something to do with the some dental company keeping all the data easily accessible to anyone who needs to see it.

In 46 years i dont think anyone, other than my dentist, has ever needed to know about my mouth and whats in it.

Someone, somewhere, will use the information for their marketing after paying a company for the data. 

These companies can't ask the dentist directly for the information, but they can trick you into giving it to them.

I'm not paranoid, as most russian teenagers know what i watch online these days, and if they can find comfort in endless search results involving the words Oil, leak, land rover and big boobs, then so be it.

* Just to add, my dentist isn't a very short person with a split personality, but a small dental surgery, with 2 main dentists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Badger110 said:

I had an appointment today at the Dentist ( don't worry yourselves, i'm fine )

On friday i got a phonecall from the dentist, who is a small 2 person dentist* and staff operation, checking with me about covid etc and what would happen today.

On saturday i received a text from the dentist asking me reminding me of my appointment and could i fill in my forms online please.

What forms? I've been with them for years..

Clicked on the link and it took me to the ukdentalhub.

What's the uk dental hub then? 

****ed if i know, but the site wanted all my details, name, address, DOB including me telling them what i was having done at my appointment for, my dental history, the whole shebang.

I declined to fill it in.

When i got to the reception today for my appointment and was body scanned for germs and then placed in a isolated bubble tent in my underpants..( ok that wasn't quite true ) i asked why i got the text.

Apparently something to do with the some dental company keeping all the data easily accessible to anyone who needs to see it.

In 46 years i dont think anyone, other than my dentist, has ever needed to know about my mouth and whats in it.

Someone, somewhere, will use the information for their marketing after paying a company for the data. 

These companies can't ask the dentist directly for the information, but they can trick you into giving it to them.

I'm not paranoid, as most russian teenagers know what i watch online these days, and if they can find comfort in endless search results involving the words Oil, leak, land rover and big boobs, then so be it.

* Just to add, my dentist isn't a very short person with a split personality, but a small dental surgery, with 2 main dentists.

so  i just looked at an email dentist sent me for an appointment in a weeks time, 

omg may as well say please provide life history and every single medical issue since born.

so i stopped and didnt complete it, they were asking covid specific questions last time i visited and i was totally ok with that, all be it akward as its seriously badly designed as i have to tick yes to in contact with a covid positive person every time due to voluntary work - what it doesnt ask is was i wearing required ppe

so i have to choose, lie and get dental treatment or be honest and dont.  thats not a good system

sent dentist email to see,    who gets data, why such a massive info request, what happens if i ignore chunks of it

8 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Call me paranoid, but I do wonder if Terminator Genesys and even the Kingsman movie might have a hint of potential in them!

Think what someone with nefarious intent could do with this sort of money, that dwarfs a lot of smaller countries GDP:

1901748399_Screenshot2020-11-17at09_16_36.thumb.jpg.2f8cc19df8c4e665c07977da0e429c21.jpg

......and that is *after* his $38bn divorce settlement.

Lucky you can get an appointment at all. During the first lockdown I lost a couple of fillings, and was in agony. Knowing they were closed, I have manfully endured the unendurable for several months. A while ago I received an email, stating that they were now accepting limited appointments.

So I phoned them, and told them what has been going on, only to be told they were doing only "emergency" work. So, still being in agony, I asked what constituted an emergency then ? Receptionist got somewhat shirty.

A few days later I received warning me that I would be excommunicated if I carried on being "abusive" FFS

I still have the toothache.  

9 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

It’s going to be a nightmare getting a routine appointment after this all lifts, it’s bad enough normally!

Very true but what's angered me the most with my dentist is they arnt doing anything Oh  wait a minuite "We could do your teeth privately" at great expense I'm sure, money grabbing b. .......ards regards Stephen

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Very true but what's angered me the most with my dentist is they arnt doing anything Oh  wait a minuite "We could do your teeth privately" at great expense I'm sure, money grabbing b. .......ards regards Stephen

Our dentist (who is private - we didn't even attempt to register as NHS patients after moving last year) is managing to run normal checkups, so it can be done if the will is there.

16 hours ago, smallfry said:

Lucky you can get an appointment at all. During the first lockdown I lost a couple of fillings, and was in agony. Knowing they were closed, I have manfully endured the unendurable for several months. A while ago I received an email, stating that they were now accepting limited appointments.

So I phoned them, and told them what has been going on, only to be told they were doing only "emergency" work. So, still being in agony, I asked what constituted an emergency then ? Receptionist got somewhat shirty.

A few days later I received warning me that I would be excommunicated if I carried on being "abusive" FFS

I still have the toothache.  

I seem to recall there is an 'emergency dentistry' side of the NHS. I recall using them once, several years ago. I don't recall the full details so can only be of limited help.

However, I have just googled 'emergency dentist nhs', you might like to do the same. One option is apparently to dial 111.

Regards.

It's funny how this thread has developed 🙃 but just whilst we are talking about access to dentists, let me offer this.

In lockdown I suddenly developed a terrible pain (which turned out to be two cracks in a molar). My dentist agreed to see me but the Covid hygiene precautions that she took were so hard to deal with that after the initial examination, I couldn't face a return for the extraction.

It is probably because of her ethnic background but the precautions were quite extreme. I had to wear my mask all the time, and whilst my mouth was open it had to be across my nose. Also some sort of cloth was placed across my open mouth, which was moved to cover half of it whilst the instruments were inside. It was very hard to deal with and I'm not a wimp, honest.

The dentist wore a single use disposable suit on top of a more robust one and she had a full face mask with filter. All the equipment was hidden under polythene sheeting and these were also hung over stuff on the walls.

The reduced capacity at that surgery is immense but I suppose that the poor lady dentist is much more at risk than many of us.

As I said, I couldn't face going back for what was looking like an extraction and after a few days, in extreme pain, I managed to go to another practice who were willing to treat me as an NHS emergency. There, with no-one in the same higher-risk category, I had an almost normal experience, with just a few more precautions. It was just as well as my tooth was cracked in two directions and the bacteria were getting to work.

So yes, these practices are obliged to treat no-registered patients under the NHS, if it is an emergency. I can't register with them as their waiting list is very long. However, if I go onto Denplan(?) as a private patient, then they will be able to fit me in...