Dont work tired...

Maverik

Turns out there was nothing wrong with the timing...

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves... suffice to say the rest of it is somewhere in the middle still. Embarrassed and rather angry at myself right now.

20210713_191550.jpg

20210713_191948.jpg

20210713_193053.jpg

I did exactly the same with my Renault Master, but with bubble wrap stuffed into the turbo inlet ................. to stop carp getting in !!!

Most of it stopped at the intercooler, which I cleaned out. Didnt strip any further, and it has been fine since.

She was running,  won't now, makes an odd clicking noise, she'll turn over on the starter but there's an clicking coming from engine now, I'm guessing a wad of the stuff has jacked one or more of the valves open, so I guess next steps will be pull the manifolds and see if there's anything stuck in the head that I can remove from the side, if I'm lucky I've not bent a pushrod or rocker.

Another hope is that I've not blown too much of it into my rather expensive turbo.

Ho hum.

Life always looks a little better after you've slept on it.

Just order a new head gasket etc. going to pull the top end apart see how she's looking, I was debating just pulling the engine and getting it rebuilt - but the price getting it rebuilt by a garage really does sting somewhat - the engine will need a rebuilt at some point but I'm trying to keep her going until I'm in a better workshop position to potentially do it myself.

• Like 1

Could be far worse than a bit of blue roll - one club member lost a 10mm nut in his V8, it enjoyed creating a whole host of strange running problems on its adventures bouncing in and out of every cylinder before he got antsy enough to strip the lump down :lol:

• Sad 1

Very timely thread this. I made a stupid mistake that cost me £40 and set me back abit with the 200Tdi rebuild. I was putting the tappet units into the block using a blob of grease to hold the little followers into the slide. First one of them dropped but bounced of the camshaft and out the inspection hatch onto the floor (close call). Then it did it again but this time fell right into the block (yes the bottom end is complete🤬). Fortunately the engine was on a stand so I rotated the block twice and it dropped out. At that point I should have taken a break and come back to it later on; but no, I carried on frustrated that such a simple job was being a pain. I thought I was being clever by rotating the engine on it's side on the stand so this time the follower couldn't drop into the block. All 8 in, no problems. But then I started to clamp down the locator screws, 4 went in no issue. The 5th one I felt a bit of resistance but thought it was a just a bit of a dirty thread so I continued to apply some torque (only 14 Nm), then snap. The screw broke off in block and I realised the brass slider had slid down and I was squeezing it with the locator screw hence it felt a bit tight. I had deformed the brass slider in the tappet body. I managed to drill out and extract the snapped screw and push out the slider but damaged the tappet holder in doing so. I had to by a complete unit from Turners which came to £40 with the VAT and shipping. Lesson learned - don't rush and make a series of stupid mistakes that increase in stupidity!

I have to say though, Turners provide an excellent service. I ordered the unit yesterday afternoon and it arrived by lunch time today - no blue boxes either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elbekko said:

I once forgot to tighten the camshaft pulley bolt on my 300TDi. That was a lot of expensive noises.

A good friend og mine did the same on his newly renovated 300... it took us quite some time to track down "that strange noise..." 🤣

/mads

Thanks for the support folks, makes me feel a little more human. Always prided myself on my abilities - so its taken a bit of bruising this time around.

Decided on a plan to pull the head too, got a new gasket set on its way - was debating doing a minor head refurbish too - valve stem seals etc.

I'm taking a little time out before I start the tear down.

The person who never made a mistake never did anything!

Thankfully most of my spannering mistakes have been time consuming and/or messy rather than expensive. It is not good for the ego when beloved wife collapses in a heap giggling, at the sight of you blinking like a surprised black owl, then refuses to let you into the house until you have wiped off the worst with a mixture of workshop and baby wipes.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, monkie said:

Very timely thread this. I made a stupid mistake that cost me £40 and set me back a bit with the 200Tdi rebuild.

If £40 and a minor setback is the worst you've done you're not even trying :lol:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If £40 and a minor setback is the worst you've done you're not even trying :lol:

Yep, but adding all up to the £ hundreds I've already sent to Turners it was very annoying, plus the sheer stupidity of not checking despite feeling resistance when tightening the screw down. Not my brightest moment for sure :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, smallfry said:

I must confess I spend a fair bit of time taking things apart again, In order to install "bits left over", or have replaced stuff in the wrong order, so have to do it again

I've lost count of the number of times I'd stood back to look at my own work and realised that I'm going to have to pull it all apart again because of something I missed or didn't get quite right, or just that I know is not as good as it really should be... short cuts always end up longer!

14 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've lost count of the number of times I'd stood back to look at my own work and realised that I'm going to have to pull it all apart again because of something I missed or didn't get quite right, or just that I know is not as good as it really should be... short cuts always end up longer!

Glad its not just me! 

...at least there was one in there , no fun to be doing up the last few bits then spot the new release bearing sitting on the bench....:) 

Pleased to say not recently , but I might have done it more than once in my younger days....

Steve 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Oh hell no - we once did a clutch twice in one 24h period in the lab because the V8 and TDi release bearings look identical but aren't... and we had one of each on the shelf :ph34r:

Reminds me of a few years ago when myself and a mate changed the clutch on his Sierra. His OH wanted to take the kids to the seaside in the afternoon.

We did it in less than an hour, and as we sat on the garden wall with a celebratory cup of tea, he spotted the new release bearing, and said "we must have put the old one back in".

I picked up the old one, which was on the wall next to me, and said "no we didnt".

Luckily it wasnt anything complicated. 

• Haha 2

Its worth buying some of the rubber caps for the various openings, having done the whole boost rag thing myself (new project desperate to get it running working late in to the evenings I was tracing down a starting issue when it eventually started on its own and subsequently died it, seen asthough it was about 1am I gave up and went home, it was about 11am at work the next day when I remembered I had stuffed a rag in the intake. luckily it balled up in the spiral hose pre turbo and I escaped with dented pride. however it gave me a very restless afternoon!)

Other things include dropping 20l of engine into a tractor before noticing the sump plug on the front mudguard, spent over a week testing removing and refitting the new gearbox (cab off, cab on..) only to look up and notice some more gears damaged in the rear transmission on a large tractor, all the lot had to come back out.  I think one of my finest **** ups was while doing some electrical fault finding I had to remover the rather large and expensive battery box cover on said customers tractor, shortly after I needed to test drive said tractor and promptly reversed straight over it.

Oh and the obligatory slave cylinder rod retaining clip, can you even call yourself a landcover mechanic if you haven't had to take at least one gearbox back out to put that back on? perhaps we should have a tally system like WW2 fighters had for kills 😆

• Haha 1