Galvanisers in the uk

chuff

They all seem owned by Wedge group from what I can make out. I wish there were more small independents but I don't think they exist? I got a batch done by one of the wedge group near Birmingham. Seemed ok, bit rough in places so I'm not sure it would be much of an improvement on yours. 

Location is cotswolds.

No it's bare galv for my old 90. Spangle is an effect of only zinc, lead and antimony is/was added as a wetter and run off agent. 

I think the problem is the kettle temp not being high enough and it's solidifying instantaneously. 

There must be one in the UK who still get spange!? We did it until 10 years ago. 

Attached image gate frames from around 2011 - compared to this years offerings from the same factory. 1633343601520874222939.thumb.jpg.7b4ca1f4c309d877b487ab8f1ccc8bd4.jpg

Ive used McArthurs in Brizzle and Newport Galvanisers in the delightful city of Newport, South Wales. Both have done a reasonable job. I've been going to McArthurs for almost 35 years and they did mention a few years back, that galvanising isn't as good as it was. Mind, that's the same with everything. Custard Creams aren't what they were (even Tesco's own), nor is Vimto, or the weather

• Like 1

According to the interweb, https://www.galvinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2017/05/GalvInfoNote_2_6.pdf

the larger spangles are due to impurities in the zinc particularly lead. Nowadays the amount of lead is much reduced or even non existent which results in the finish many have commented on. Neither my 90 or S3 chassis have much spangle, however the new council lamp post at the end of the drive has some, but its nothing like the the "old stuff" - applies to lamp posts and chassis!

Edited by simonb

The lead content in galv is much less than it used to be. I used to be a sheet metal worker so delt with galvanized sheets on a daily basis. I have not seen a good spangle on galv sheets for a few years. I believe the older galv was better. Making coatings more environmentally acceptable does not always work out as the coated part does not last as long so you have to replace it quicker. Creosote is a perfect example of this.

• Like 1

Nope I think you are correct, hence why we now have Teflon (swivel) balls. 🤨

The shiny bits of aircraft landing gear legs (the oleo/damper part) used to be chromed but I don't think they are (allowed to be) now. I guess its the same for the hydraulic ram shafts on the big yellow diggers from Mr Bamford....

26 minutes ago, simonb said:

Nope I think you are correct, hence why we now have Teflon (swivel) balls. 🤨

The shiny bits of aircraft landing gear legs (the oleo/damper part) used to be chromed but I don't think they are (allowed to be) now. I guess its the same for the hydraulic ram shafts on the big yellow diggers from Mr Bamford....

@western might know the answer to that? 

23 hours ago, reb78 said:

Thankfully you can still buy proper creosote... it isnt as easy to get though!

Really? https://www.creosotesales.co.uk/product-category/traditional-creosote/

I think when we bought 4 drums of it we didn't even have to prove we were a farm - I think we might have added farm to the end of the address which we don't usually do. Admittely it was a few years back but post 2003.

1 minute ago, Ed Poore said:

I think when we bought 4 drums of it we didn't even have to prove we were a farm - I think we might have added farm to the end of the address which we don't usually do. Admittely it was a few years back but post 2003.

Agree with this I bought some 2 years ago no issues from local agricultural supplier regards Stephen

17 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

All I meant was that you cant walk into b&q and get it when you run short at a weekend anymore. 

I seem to recall a similar thing with alloy wheel cleaner, car cleaning companies can buy strong stuff but Joe public can't.

Thing is just because you own a company does not immediately make you any more knowledgeable. Being a professional just means you get paid for it. An expert can be an amateur with decades of experience.

Sorry ranting again.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, missingsid said:

Thing is just because you own a company does not immediately make you any more knowledgeable. Being a professional just means you get paid for it. An expert can be an amateur with decades of experience.

Sorry ranting again.

Times I have said exactly this to people ! The whole situation nowadays about not be able to get anything that actually works make you like it. It does me, anyway.

Paint stripper is another one. And Fairy Powerspray

Incidentally, my address does actually have "Farm" on the end, and it is dead handy for getting stuff like chemicals and creosote etc no questions asked !

Also you CANNOT get proper creosote any more. You can only get what they now market as "Traditional" creosote, which is only supplied to those who do it for a living (professionals), but is a shadow of its former self. It has no Naptha in it for a start, and it does not soak into the timber like the old stuff did.

Stuff called Creocote that is available to DIYers is not even worth bothering with. A good substitute we find is 50/50 used diesel engine oil and Diesel fuel. Red is cheaper if you can get it.

• Like 2