Dilemma

Simon_CSK

5 hours ago, Arjan said:

I have enough LR's and if you don't use them you loose them.

6 hours ago, muddy said:

I've about 5 land rovers at the moment and not one is one the road, that is far more depressing than the total 'regret' I have from selling.

I have 12 at the moment although only 4 are projects one is my P38 that is almost road worthy, two look like they are sold and the rest are spares vehicles. My house is a local landmark which I find very funny.

Sell it, let someone else have a crack with it and hopefully get it on the road

i recently found a 2a sitting in a field locally, and got the usual I’ll do something with it one day bla bla bla. I found out through a mutual connection it’s been there for 8 years and the owner hasn’t touched it in years 

I think i would weigh up whether i would ever get around to it or whether it's most likely to sit outside until there's not enough left to be worth rebuilding.

That's a tough thing to decide (my Dads Defender sat for 11 years before i decided to take it on for him and put it back on the road) but if you're never likely to get it road worthy, it would be better to let somebody else do it.  I realise the significance of a CSK too, but if it is a generous offer, you could probably buy a nice, usable Range Rover and have money in your pocket too.

9 minutes ago, dave88sw said:

I think i would weigh up whether i would ever get around to it or whether it's most likely to sit outside until there's not enough left to be worth rebuilding

Remember to remove the rose tinted safety specs before embarking on this. 

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Remember to remove the rose tinted safety specs before embarking on this. 

I am actively looking for a donor car and found one locally that wasn't for sale and one on Rhodes that also wasn't for sale.

I've always regretted selling my Range Rover.

However the reality was that it needed work and I had two other Land Rovers, a car and a motorbike and they all needed work too.

There's only so many hours in the day so I had a purge. 

If I'd kept it, it'd be sat gathering dust in barn right now.

Sell it, put all your effort into one project and finish it.

I've been wrestling with a similar dilemma, but the opposite in many regards.

I've no time anymore, not sure why, but I've built up a reasonable car fund as a result. 

I'm concerned that we're going to be clobbered by inflation, so would like to get my car fund out of cash. And there's a Landrover on eBay that I quite like.

But I've no time. And sod all pension.

Sensible thing is to put the car fund into some form of pension, but there's a Landrover I'd like that I don't have time to work on.

It's so confusing.

• Like 2

Tricky.

If you have the cash and a reasonable level of confidence you’ll fix it up, then keep it as you are clearly attached to it.  But if you need the funds or doubt it’ll be fixed, shift it on to the soonest good offer to keep the other vehicles and yourself going and to ensure it doesn’t just rot away unused.  You might miss it if you sell it, but you’d miss it and feel guilty about it being destroyed if you keep it just to rot away.

I've had vehicles, classics and day to day I swore at the time I would keep forever but circumstances [not necessarily monetary] and interests change. Nothing is forever.  

The longest I kept a classic was 20 years and even though I swore it would be with me for good once shows started to charge to attend / exhibit I decided it was time for someone else to get some fun out of it. I was torn to let it go and spent a long time finding the right person to pass it on to, my son wanted it but the vehicle would inevitably deteriorate even if kept in the heated building while waiting for him to mature and be responsible enough to take on. I regret selling a number of my classics, in fact I regret getting shot of the last late production 110 that I bought new with the intention of keeping it for good but it was clear that the vehicle was going to be nothing but hassle, life is just too short to be obliged to regularly spend chunks of my time dealing with vehicle centric hassle - moreso when they are new.

I'm almost through my bucket list of classics I would like to own, restore if required, use and enjoy. I've come to the conclusion that owning several at one time that require work is a recipe for getting bogged down with flitting from job to job on all of them rather than concentrating and getting one sorted before moving onto the next, but that's just me.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:42 PM, landroversforever said:

How much do you want it? If you let it go and decide further down the line you want another, is that feasible? It’s only going to get worse as time goes on with classics. 

Don't want to sell it but would like the money for it. Suppose I can't have my cake and eat it.

I scrapped my red 110 after 20+ years of ownership, I parked it for a year to ensure I was doing the right thing. I don't regret scrapping it, I do regret not looking after it a bit better!.

Sell the CSK and buy something stupid, thats what I did, but I'd suggest something a bit less stupid and more useful that will appreciate, like an early V8 Discovery or a good P38 or early L322.

Will 🙂

9 minutes ago, Exmoor Beast said:

Sell the CSK and buy something stupid, thats what I did, but I'd suggest something a bit less stupid and more useful that will appreciate, like an early V8 Discovery or a good P38 or early L322.

Will

Sold my D2 V8 to Blanco

Have a good P38

Have a Good L322 and one for spares

Have 2 D3's

Have 3 RR Sports TDV8's and two for spares

And have just bought a Mini Cooper S

How much more stupid do you want me to be :rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Toyota Yaris?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My next door neighbour is into Toyotas and he has 30 of them including an original Celica with 51k on the clock un restored and in mint condition.

42 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

A smaller number of projects/toys that get used is better than a larger number that sit and rot away.

Yes but when I hit a problem I stop and work on another one until I find the solution.