OK, whose 6x6 is this?

FridgeFreezer

Someone clearly had 2 or 3 red land rovers lying around, and decided they would cost them less in tax if it were all in one.

And made sure ALL the panels were used, hence the roof box made out of yet another spare roof.

Wonder how many gallons to the mile?

If it isnt photo-shopped its got a crazy wheel base, I cant find anything that long in comparison this is the longest I found and I still think its short in comparison.

Being an A reg its an early registration which ties to the unpainted windscreen frame.

image.png.c4ea87a92a6c93d05239c5506b832337.png

12 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

And made sure ALL the panels were used, hence the roof box made out of yet another spare roof.

I hadn't even noticed that. I wonder if it is some sort of pop up roof, like they used on the old VW bus ? Looking at the effort that has gone into the rest of it, I wouldnt be surprised.

11 hours ago, smallfry said:

Series front door bottoms with series county door tops ?

I don't know where you get square door tops that long?

I'm 99% certain the 2nd row doors are shorter than a front door, hence the door tops would be wrong.

Marmalade the Land Rover (cb1.com)

image.png.70b34ce1edcc49076f3662e793b18e3b.png

Why I stretched my Land Rover

Someone asked me why I rebuilt my long-wheelbase Land Rover longer than it already was.

I came up with the idea when I was trying to hang on to an academic career. I went back from industry (software) to do a postdoc, then some research assistantships while waiting for a lectureship opportunity, and I was expecting that for a life like that I’d have to move every few years, and wanted to make my vehicle big enough to carry all my stuff. Then the economic crisis came in 2008, and I realized there wasn’t going to be much chance of sticking to that career (as the supply of contracts was clearly drying up), and went back into commercial work.

When I came back into industry at the start of 2011, I was already really keen on the idea of the stretch project, and a couple of years later the chassis got too rusty to get through more MOTs, and so I went ahead with the project, which took about a year of evenings, weekends, and all my holidays for that year.  I had originally been thinking of making it 150″ wheelbase (that is, a 110, which it already was, plus another 40″ for the extra axle) but on the way up to Designachassis to sort out the details I realized that a 170″ would be better (that is, a 130 plus an extra 40) as I already had the idea of fitting an electric motor and batteries for the third axle, and this would allow more room for batteries around the chassis.
The trailer project is mostly for the joy of engineering, though. I bought the trailer body (a 110 hi-cap rear tub, i.e. the type with a tailgate that reaches across the whole width of it) thinking it would be suitable for the pickup extension, but it was too heavy (much heavier than Marmalade’s own rear tub, which I could just about lift by myself) so I decided to keep it and build a trailer using it.
And I like messing with people’s heads, so the trailer’s towing A-frame fits under the pickup extension, and I’ve kept some of the other bits of the tub I made the extension sides from (actually a 109) to make flaps which will cover most of the gap between the trailer tub and the extension, so it will look pretty much like one 9.5metre-ish long vehicle.
I plan to do a lot more camping with it (mostly I’ve just done festivals since the rebuild). One of my present projects is an arduino-controlled manifold to split the hot air four ways from an Eberspacher D7L, the four ways being front, middle and rear of the vehicle, and up to the tent, so I’ll be ready for pretty much all-weather camping.

image.png.62733e5df8e0872affa3e6bac1946d9d.png

If you dig around on this page you can find some blog entries of when the owner did the work...

A new project begins « Hillwithsmallfields's Blog (wordpress.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The roof tent + sun canopy setup is actually pretty cool I think - looks like the LR roof folds down to protect the RTT when not in use too, quite cunning:

camping-with-platform.jpg.a8ab993159a80faeab98bbe35a712524.jpg

Although the thing looks tatty and there's some questionable choices being made / less than elegant fabrication, the chap has clearly built it to do what he wants / needs and it appears to get used which is more than a lot of other builds out there.

• Like 4

Quote 'He likes messing with other peoples minds'.

It reads to me, considering his career and vehicle choices, that he is trialling the lifestyle.

Assuming he's comfortable with people quoting the old advert about C*****ys Fruit & Nut chocolate, it only rubs me up the wrong way if he decides the taxpayers should dig him out of the hole he finds he has dug himself.

Regards.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The roof tent + sun canopy setup is actually pretty cool I think - looks like the LR roof folds down to protect the RTT when not in use too, quite cunning:

camping-with-platform.jpg.a8ab993159a80faeab98bbe35a712524.jpg

Although the thing looks tatty and there's some questionable choices being made / less than elegant fabrication, the chap has clearly built it to do what he wants / needs and it appears to get used which is more than a lot of other builds out there.

That rear overhang though! Nightmare turning left or right where space is tight