Billing or Newark

I went to Billing on the Saturday, sounds like that was the best day weather wise as I did get a bit toasted at times.

But £14 to get in! It gets more and more extortionate every year.

I was also unimpressed at having to join a queue of 100 odd people to get across the footbridge on to the showground. There was just one chap there to tear your ticket in half and stamp your hand, he could have done with a couple of helpers.

As for the show itself I too have to say it seemed quiet, there were far fewer traders than I have ever seen before and even the camping areas had plenty of spaces left. There also seemed to be a lot less visitors, but I expect that was due the Newark show.

I had a lengthy chat with the guys at Richards Chassis and despite my not actually being in the market for a chassis they were happy to talk. I think the products they had on display, especially the ungalved and unpainted chassis really enabled one to get a good idea of their quality. I would now have no hesitation in buying from them. I asked whether they were going to start making repair sections like rear X members, someone needs to fill the void for quality repair parts.

Also spent a very worthwhile hour or so at Ashcrofts' stand while Phil gave an excellent demo on stripping and reassembling an LT230. I like to do this kind of job myself so I now have expert advise on correctly shimming and setting bearing preloads. I think it is fantastic that these people are prepared to give time and patience. Well done Ashcrofts!

And how much did I spend on goodies? Absolutely zilch. There were a couple of bits I was looking out for but no success there.

A worthwhile day out for me.

I managed to pick up some good stuff at a good price (not GREAT prices, mind) I got a Mantec rear wheel carrier I have been promising myself, and the rear window grille.

Now that's funny - as far as I could tell, Mantec prices at Billing were quite a bit less than normal. Seemed to me that they were 10-30% less depending on product.

Just a note Mr Grumpy was like this on Friday afternoon lord only knows what he was like on sunday!!!!

MANTEC's prices were a little cheaper and they were giving discount as I spoke to them and they were very very helpful. They just didnt do the product I wanted (side window grills for an early 90 with the window latch space in) or they would have had the sale.

Went to Billing yesterday mostly to see kit as there is not a good 4x4 stockist near me in Gloucestershire (unless you guys know better . . .). My thoughts are:

Arena events - unremarkable for me, but I did not gho to see them anyway, rain did not help

Trade stands - I got to see in the flesh (well steel and aluminium mostly) most of the stuff I wanted to see, got a close look at some items of interest (design of roofracks etc), bought a couple of bargains

Mantec - really really helpful bunch, including marshalling my running about 2 year old while I was trying to buy some stuff, spent a few ££'s, at very good prices too; big thanks to Mantec

Navigation around the show - abysmal. Am I the only person who found the website of exhibitors out of date, the programme difficult to use and the map of trade stands appearing to bear little resemblance to what was on the ground ? - 1/10.

Overall, it was worth 4 hours driving and £14, plus my daughter enjoyed the bouncy castle. I may pay a visit to the Devon 4x4 open day, as they have lots of kit and were very helpful.

Big disappointment was missing the Saturday, so not spotting Les. Another time perhaps.

Regards

Richard

I posted this in LRO's forum, so to save typing it all again:

"Congratulations to LRO, Live and Billing Aquadrome. A great show. We hired a static caravan for the weekend and it was superb. The show was much busier than we expected, considering the other show being held on Billing weekend.

We arrived after 10 on Thursday night, and were well looked after by both Billing staff at the gate and LRO staff in the camping area.

A bit of a downpour on Friday was no problem as we just happened to be in a stall where they sold brollys.

Saturday was great, and the crowds looked to be better than last year. Lots of trade stands, including a couple who were supposed to be at Newark.

The security was faultless. The ground was good and grassy.

We bought all we needed. Thanks Rebel for being at Billing!!

Well done LRO. "

Regarding dogs, Billing Aquadrome are quite specific in what breeds are not allowed in. After all, it is a holiday park, and I wouldn't want my kids sharing it with Rotweillers and such. The dogs that have killed young children have always been "Good with kids" before the event.

geoff :)

We spent the week at Newark,

day passes were £10, its well drained and never seemed to get muddy anywhere,

there were a few autojumble stalls to the poster who didnt see them, you must have stayed next to the main arena?

security was good I didnt hear of any thieving or trouble.

much as I love Billing, its getting too small and crowded.

Newark is a purpose built showground, they can cope with events like this.

oh and as to carp roads to it?

the A1 is about 2 miles away?? with a dual carrigeway connecting it?

I spent the last two weeks around the Billing area with family but forgot the date.

On Saturday I drove past Billing in the afternoon to go home, normaly the area is awash with Land Rovers when the show is on, this time I did not see a single Land Rover and only realised that it was on when I went online :blink:

Marc.

Regarding dogs, Billing Aquadrome are quite specific in what breeds are not allowed in. After all, it is a holiday park, and I wouldn't want my kids sharing it with Rotweillers and such. The dogs that have killed young children have always been "Good with kids" before the event.

geoff :)

Bla bla bla............

I spent a very happy Thursday to Sunday at Billing with the guys from OEC- sorry if I spoke to any of you and did not know who you were...

We had no issues with security or indeed the standard of the facilities at the site- our only gripe was not being included in the list of companies in the programme despite having a huge stand next to the main arena!

In relation to staff being grumpy (and no the OEC lot were not in the least bit grumpy- despite the best efforts of a few...)- There is no excuse for poor customer service at any time... the only mitigation I can suggest is how knackering the whole experience is... there is an awful lot to shows that you never get to see or care about (not to mention the minor hangovers being nursed by some...)

Like Chris, I arrived at Billing on Wednesday to be a 'hired friend' and was there until late Monday morning. LRO/LP promised increased/better security and toilet facilities. Plenty of toilets around which were kept clean and stocked with loo rolls. Plenty of wheelie bins around as well. Security was good and police were also on site patrolling so minimal anti social behaviour. As for Billing flooding there were frequent extremely heavy showers and the ground did drain well. So I think LRO/Live Promotions delivered on their promises.

Regards

Brendan

Being tired due to the work being hard is just a load of old tosh.

I work in the service industry (i run a Costa Coffee) and we all have off days, hard days, stressful days & days where we just cant be bothered.

At the end of the day, if a customer comes in, you really ought to be bending over backwards for their custom, because if you give poor or indifferent service, they will vote with their feet.

I have a queue to my door 7 days a week in my coffee shop, and that is down to me recruiting the right staff, who all have the right attitude, and me leading by example.

If I dont give first class service 100% of the time, my customers can go to any one of the other 7 coffee shops in Bedford.

I am talking about a cup of coffee that costs £2.50, so I find it despicable that a company with a reputation for quality has lost out on several thousand £££'s due to what basically amounts to ineptitude.

I find it hard to believe that they were ALL tired ALL weekend. If you cant give customer service, be it at a show or at your office....then do something else for a living.

Funny how almost every other trader I dealt with managed to keep their chin up. I was even given a cup of coffee during the big downpour on Sunday, at OEC.....before they knew I was actually a customer!

This will be my last post on this subject (i promise!) and I will end on: I will NEVER give Nene Overland a single penny of my money, if they dare treat people like they do.

We went to both and as previously said £14. for Billing is a rip off, compared to Newark it is a shambles/tip.

Newark was significantly smaller but probably just big enough for a day whearas Billing needs two or three days to get around everything.

Without question Billing had the main traders and more people.

Seems Billing spend money on chalets and the like but the grounds/toilets/showers remain the same. I did notice a dead Poplar tree adjacent to one of the main isles. If the wind was as bad there as it was at Newark on friday night I am supprised it is still standing. This shows to me how much they care about us. Newark was spotless.

However, Billing is and always will be in the best position, pity they dont tidy it up. Newark is just to far out of the way with a poor road access, only A roads with very few passing places.

sorry old bean but newark showground is max 10 minutes off the a1,do you call that a small road?

I made it to Billing for the first time in a few years, and the show seemed pretty quite compared to what it used to be. There were a few traders who were missing that I would have like to catch up with but must have been up in Newark, but over all it was still a very good weekend, the organisation, security etc were 100% on what it was 4 years ago when I was last there, no pikey`s etc which was a real bonus.

I heard from a few traders that there were a few light fingered punters, but I guess that goes with the territory at a big show like Billing.

It was good to catch up with a few friends I hav`nt seen in 3-4 years, the crowd at X-Eng were as hospitable as ever and invited me in for a few drinks on Saturday night which was good, but sadly they have moved on from times of old, where a night enjoying a few drinks also involved blowing things up, from inner tubes to plastic coke bottles. :lol:

All in all, I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and look forward to the next one. <_<

I went to Newark on the Sunday with an ex-Army mate/work colleague, his son, 12, my son 11 and we had a good time, but I could find nothing I wanted to buy, (other than a coffee). I went looking for a bonnet and two front wings - the auto jumble seemed to have less stuff than my garage!

My mate talked to all of the expedition companies, as he'd like to get out of sales and use some of his XX years in the forces for good.

101Vampire.jpg

A Vampire

Alex%20on%20Small%20LR.jpg

Son enjoying the ride

Dino%20Dakkar.jpg

The mudhole on the off-road course

CRR%20on%20the%20tipping%20point.jpg

On the twist off

disco%20in%20the%20clag.jpg

Disco in the goo

before%20the%20stall.jpg

Just before it stalled, (to cheers from the onlookers!).

Photo credits to my son - I just provide the technology.

As for getting there, well, how much road do you want? the A1 is 2 junctions away, the A46 is an simple journey. The Newark site is a proper showground, so the infrastructure is OK. Getting into the Newark show was probably easier than Peterborough, and that's hardly difficult. I've only been to Billing once, (during the flood), and I don't intend to repeat the experience.

I'm totally knackered! X-Eng stayed closed today to unpack the van and catch up on some sleep.

We had a brilliant weekend - both commercially and socially. It was a real shame that there had to be two shows - but people seem to have enjoyed both, so maybe there is a place for two.

Our turnover was up on last year - so even though the visitor numbers were down, the credit crunch and the weather was dreadful, it was pretty good.

I was pleased with the toilet cleanliness, there was even soap in the dispensers and the security staff didn't have the usual 'attitude'. There was also a police presence - and they were talkative and friendly too.

The only bad bit was one of the other traders reporting that some youths had stolen one of his products - and asking us to keep our eyes peeled - so thanks to him!

I've booked for next year already!

Si

I went to Billing on Saturday, was a good day. Wish I had more money to spend though, was excruciating looking at all the cool bits and not being able to buy any of it. Found a ROW spec Td5-style dash, but the guy wanted £100 for it!

Still enjoyed it thoroughly though, will be there next year, hopefully with a load of cash in my pocket :)

i managed to get to both shows and enjoyed both, autojumble better at billing and that suited me well, newark suited the family better, my kid preferred it, newark definitely the better ground for a show although i do like the disorganised feel to billing (i.e. i kept getting lost :rolleyes: ) oh, and the newark show guide was much better than the billing one, i spoke to a lot of staff/security at both shows (as i said, i kept geting lost!) and all were very friendly & helpful

I'd just like to say a big thankyou to everyone who helped out on the stand we had at Billing and of course all our customers new and old. It was hard work but very enjoyable and succesfull for us. Great to meet people and put names to faces, got some good feedback that we can work with.

and lastly, What a fantastic party at D&G's stands! Cheers for the hospitality. :D

ps: i didn't intend it to sound like an oscar award :lol:

Steve