4x4 Quandry - what should I maybe buy ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

XS 110 with an auto conversion.

I would strongly suggest you also take a days training with LR experience as it's highly unlikely that you have the skill level required to get the best from you new Defender.

Ah... the door thank you, keep the coat I'll send you an email explaining how to wear it.

Ill second that my rs6 is awesome and SAFE even with the missus and her lead right foot on corners

Last winter an RS6 wrote off my wife's car. It came up to a junction, couldn't stop on the icy road and hit her side on. Great car but because it is such, people tend to take the mickey and go too fast in it and it doesn't have good engine breaking.

stick with the bmw and buy some proper snow tyres for it. The old man has a house near Tignes and used to have a bmw 530 that he left out there all year to use instead of a hire car - fitted a set of vredestein snow tyres and never ever had a problem in any of the blizzard conditions going from chambrey airport to his house and any driving about between tignes and Val D'

Only very occassionally did he ever have to resort to fitting the snow chains, that was mainly when he was going up the extremely steep and winding road to st foy with more than a foot of snow on the road.

it just doesnt make sense to sell a car which you obviously love, for something that will probably annoy the snot out of you for 10 months of the year.just buy a set of skinny snow tyres and away you go

good example of what can be done with PROPER snow tyres.

Nick

XS 110 with an auto conversion.

I would strongly suggest you also take a days training with LR experience as it's highly unlikely that you have the skill level required to get the best from you new Defender.

Ah... the door thank you, keep the coat I'll send you an email explaining how to wear it.

^^^^

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nige

I'm a Paramedic and our service purchesed a load of Volvo XC70's during the year. All are ex demonstration models so have all the toys. Can't speak about the economy or reliability as I don't have to fuel or fix them but they are supremely comfortable and performed well in the recent bad weather.

Whatever you decide it's a nice problem to have - I love shopping for new toys. :D

Last winter an RS6 wrote off my wife's car. It came up to a junction, couldn't stop on the icy road and hit her side on. Great car but because it is such, people tend to take the mickey and go too fast in it and it doesn't have good engine breaking.

Its a auto which mucks up engine breaking hence when conditions are a bit funny I have it in tiptronic.

The problem with ALL 4wds in bad weather is the basic fact because it pulls away ok the drivers think it will steer and brake ok as well then accidents happen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nige,

Don't know if your still looking but I have an XC90 fitted with general UHP's all round and it hasn't put a foot wrong either this year or last. I am a farmer with a farm track that is about half a mile long with a couple of hills and it just eats it up in the snow. It's my wifes car but which is getting about 35mpg running about town, on a long run it gets 40ish. It also has a VERY large load bed and space for 7 if needed.

As for servicing costs they are on a par with what you'll be used to with the BMW, and in two years servicing is all it's needed. Compared to my dads 530d the seats/ seating position is a pleasure.

To be honest if it's particularly cold and I don't fancy freezing in the 90 i'll take it up the fields and it only got stuck when a water main had burst and I didn't see it!

Hope this helps (and not adding too many vehicles into the equation!)

Robin

Nige,

I have just seen your post, I was "given" a Freelander 2 S as my company car in early December, I must say although I have wanted to hate it, I can't, the build quality is spot on, it has a shore footedness in the snow and ice that it really shouldn't have and even though it is a basic model it is good. I thought it would be a "toy car" compared to the 110 but it has not been, We live in a small village where even with rainfall can make the tree covered roads hell.

I am 4k miles in to it and after getting it because I have Land Rovers in my blood, and couldn't bring myself to get a Prius but didn't want to pay the tax on a Disco, I wouldn't put my family in anything else it has been great, heats up quickly doesn't leak has a great drive and feel, I do around 2k-2.5k per month and have found it to be a great edition to the fleet so far, not as much character as my old Series One but you can't have everything!!

Jason.

I have only just seen this post (no idea how i missed it!!)

I have driven quite a few of these options this winter/last winter and here are my thoughts . . .

BMW 535 M sport - my own car, and with Pirelli P zero tyres on it, it is quite frankly useless. One day there was only 1/2 an inch of snow and I managed to get stuck on my own flat and level driveway! Agreed not the best tyres (and they are on really wide rims). BMW has been super reliable

Mother in Law's Audi S3 (280bhp) - Despite the BHP and wide tyres the Audi's clever 4x4 system never seemed to struggle - plenty of flashing lights on the Dash but no other warning signs - it just worked. This has also been really reliable with no problemss whatsoever. i'm guessing its not quite big enough though compared to the BMW

Father in laws old car Audi RS4 (480bhp) Ditto to the S3 except fuel economy is "suspect" performace awesome though :-)

Father in Laws new car 10 plate Ranger rover TDV8, Fits the bill for all occasions, is reasonably quick, comfortable etc etc. HOWEVER - In 6 mths it has broken down 9 times all down to an electrical problem that Land Rover have absolutely no idea how to fix!!

So if I were you I would go for something from Audi - build quality like the BMW (and the speed!) but the 4x4 system really does make a huge difference

I must agree with the suggestions for changing to 'proper' winter tyres. Cost wise, you can only wear out one set at a time, so you're only forking extra for another set of rims. My sister also lives high in the Surrey Hills :D and drives an X5 and regularly has problems which wouldn't even register here. If you're determined to change the car then a 4x4 car variant would be best eg XC70, 4 motion VW/Audi or Beemer...oh hang on!

Regards,

Sweden (with 4 months a year driving on snow/ice roads in a 110 or....2WD V70, with winter tyres).

Righty Ho then :D

SWMBO has decided that whilst she has loved the 2 x Mazda MX5s she has had she now wnats a 4x4

Can't blame her, be happier with her in something more robust should a prang ever happen :huh:

Problem now is what to go for, and heres the rub.

She has had 2 x Mazda MX5, a BMW, and other similar cars, all from new. With the Mazdas she has had 6 Years

motoring with NOTHING AT ALL EVER going wrong / breaking / needing Dealership visits etc other than

just basic servicing, I have reminded here "Strongly" that not many cars are as realiable as MX5s :lol: ??

So

She has a shopping list, I would be interested in views from the membership on owning any of these

especially around

RELIABILITY - from new good meaning NEVER expect it to go wrong

Running Costs - servicing & Fuel economy

Performance (She had long time past a Sierra 2.8 Twin Turbo 4x4 and "Used it" :)

It had the fingernail marks from me in the dash from the passenger seat position :ph34r: )

Anything else worthy of note

So the 4x4s she is thinking around (all new) in no particular order are :

• Freelander Diesel XS Manual
  • Suburu Forrester Diesel Top rnage
  • Kia Sportage Top of range
  • Volvo XC60 AWD Mid Range
  • Toyota RAV4 Diesel
  • Honda CRV Diesel

And Yes, she will prob get a set of winter tyres too for "Maximum Enjoyment" :ph34r:

Which and why, and am I right when I hear people say about the freelender not "They are fab and NEVER go wrong"

more they say "The reliability is much improved" ?? I sort of feel this is more like "They aren't as dreadfull as

they were........ :ph34r: " She wants total reliability - I may be a LR die hard fan, but Reliability ? Hmmmm

Thoughts please, this has been hugely helpfull so far

Nige

From your list, Subaru, Toyota, Kia, in that order.

My dad has a Hyundai Santa Fe (same factory as Kia), 120K and nothing but a rusted oil cooler pipe bursting -or was it a monkey in the dealership hitting it with a hammer :ph34r:

• Freelander Diesel XS Manual
  • Suburu Forrester Diesel Top rnage
  • Kia Sportage Top of range
  • Volvo XC60 AWD Mid Range
  • Toyota RAV4 Diesel
  • Honda CRV Diesel

Honest John Review of Freelander XS

Honest John Review of Subaru Forrester

I am sure you can work out how to do the rest.

BUT when you get the new car - get some winter tyres......

;)