Ebay bargin's

I know ebay often gets a bashing on here but I am a great fan of it sure you have to buy wisely as there is a lot of tat out there but if you ask lots of questions and be prepared to walk away if things don't smell right. I believe you can spot the stolen gear when they won't answer questions and are not happy to talk to you or allow you to pick up (even if you don't intend to and get it posted) follow these rules and there are some real bargains out there, so what is the best bargain you have got?

The reason I ask is I have just picked up two this week:

The first is a full brand new genuine exhaust for my 110 TD5 complete and an additional de-cat pipe, the chap brought the exhaust from the LR main dealer (with receipt) and de-cat after (again with receipt) when someone tried to steal the original and damaged it, however before it arrived they came back and stole the Landy with insurance he upgraded to a Puma so didn't need it any more. Anyway it is now sitting in my workshop and I am lighter £21.00!!

My second bargain (or at least I think so) is a set of 5 brand boost alloys with the new Continental Cross Contact 235/85/16 Tyres complete with centre caps, nuts and locking nuts, the guy has just taken delivery of a new puma and has a set of Italian alloys and mud tyres, again I went to his house and saw his new pride and joy with 800 miles on the clock!! All of this package was mine for £410, £82 a corner (and one on the back) a wheel including nuts not bad going.

So what's the best deal you have had?

Jason.

Warn M8000 with a brand new bowmotor, new albright solenoid pack, new steel rope, steel extension rope, all electrical leads and disco 1 mounting plate £150.

He only lived around the corner, and i sold the disco mount plate a week later for £25 :lol:

also got a series rear safari door for 99p. good condition with lock and glass. he was 5 minutes away.

G

For me - a Garmin handheld GPS with a whole load of accessories including CDs for UK mapping, all for just £80. It was second hand but turned out to look like new. The guy had really looked after it well.

On top of that it was the first thing I ever bought on eBay :D

I paid £100 for a petrol Eberspacher which turned out to be incomplete, had an eBay/paypal dispute with the seller which ended in him throwing a hissy fit, PayPal refunded me the money and I got to keep the heater (he tried to be clever by refusing to accept it back), sold it on for £80 to someone who had a VW camper with the missing bits already fitted. :lol:

Mind you, the USB-powered heated slippers were also pretty damn good.

an uprated allisport intercooler for a 300tdi RRC she had spelt something wrong in the title, think it was intercollar!! anyway got it delivered to southern ireland for the eqv of £35!! and she threw in the modified rad frame as well!!

I'm a bit of an eBay fan and love to search for the odd and the mis-listed. Best bargins over the years have been:

Landcruiser 80 series axles with diff locks £125, mis-listed as 'Chevy axles' as they had been fitted to a Chevy pick up.

Set of Hilux steel wheels with nearly new all terrain tyres £19

Set of 5 Super Swamper SSR 37x12.50x16 at £630 may sound expensive, but they didn't have a mark on them and LA Supertrucks were asking £2125 for 5 at the time :lol:

9 year old average mileage Mondeo 2.0 for £88 (but when I came to collect he said he forgot to mention the bumper was cracked and gave me the £8 off). Taxed, MOTed, but need around £120 of parts to put it on the road again.

Tubela H3Pr tube bender for £27.

Needed about £50 in replacement seals but still a billy bargain.

It pays to search for mis-listed items as mentioned above - this one was listed as tubella (two "L"'s) and finished at 3pm on a Friday afternoon.

1990 Eunos Roadster, (Japan market MX-5), Cat C £460 eBay, +£41 VIC and £40 MOT = daily driver for the next few weeks and a sale mid summer, while LR110 CSW is finished off.

None of the Land Rover bits I've got off eBay have been a bargain; essential often, (doors etc in a fit state for rebuild), but never a bargain!

Best deals I have got are normally where I contact the seller of an item while the bids are still low after a few days and offer cash, some panic it won't sell and take low offers :-) Cheeky I know but life's a drag.

Normally I will look at the persons feedback and if they don't normally sell that sort of item or are the sort who hardly ever sell you have more of a chance, got a 2.4kw Genny that had had i days use and then been stored for a year for £60. even had 10 litres of fuel in it that the guy had added to get it started again. His wife accepted the cash as it only had bids of £20 with a day to go. :-)

I beat you all hands down I reckon...

I got a pair of door tops, complete with glass, in mint condition, for 99p :P

I can't believe that I sold them and have since had to buy some more for my project :angry:

For me - a Garmin handheld GPS with a whole load of accessories including CDs for UK mapping, all for just £80. It was second hand but turned out to look like new. The guy had really looked after it well.

On top of that it was the first thing I ever bought on eBay

i think i sold that to you :)

A snapped up a brand new in genuine parts wrapping cylinder head that had been listed at £30 when all the others were listed at £300. That missed zero saved me £270!

A Mantec underbody protection guard thing for £30 (what is it about thirty quid?) just round the corner.

Two brand new Grabber TR 235/85/16 for the Defender for - come to think of it - £30 each after a guy bought them for his Discovery and the tyre place wouldn't take them back. It was about an hour journey away, but I was working nearby that day, so only twenty minutes out of my day.

Three bargains at £30? Wierd that...

Cheers

Blippie

On top of that it was the first thing I ever bought on eBay

i think i sold that to you :)

Was it a Garmin eMap you sold, quite a few years ago? Amazing coincidence if it was you. It's been an absolute gem, so very happy.

I didn't even know about LR4x4 back then :)

110 CSW rolling shell (No ID, engine, doors etc) for £300. Not a bargain in itself but it came with so many odds and sods I should make it back when I finish my truck (having kept the best bits for meself...)

On a non-Landie related note: Pair of new brand-name boots for the missus, same as the ones she's been eying in the shop - but for £30 as opposed £200! That got me a few brownie points. :D

4 almost new and 1 new 285 Mastercraft Courser Muds on new 8" Modulars for £370 and an alnost mint Momo Course 14" steering wheel for £31.

I always check for bits now if I'm not in a hurry and often use the "nearest first" option when I have a few minutes to spare just to see whats about.

It also led me to my Defender in a roundabout way, not a bargin but still pleased I found it, and that was just up the road!

Got ripped off by a bloke in North Wales with 4 Mach 5 wheel's though, so I guess the balance has been restored :blink:

Short bell housing R380 for £195

Set of 8'' rolled edge Mach 5's for £300

Brand New 12mm 30m Marlow rope for £143 :P

Warn XD9000 with wireless remote, rope, solenoid pack and Disco 1 winch bumper for £190 :)

eblag is your friend :P