ibex 300 build

3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

To be honest a 2.5d would require as much alteration as either a 300tdi or indeed a td5, at which point either is more appealing. I have toyed with fitting a 200 turbo, manifold and engine mounts to a 300 then either using the 200 flywheel housing or switching to an r380. I'd also need to fit a 300 radiator. Not sure how viable this is if not it's replacing engine mounts, exhaust, radiator and air intake system plus I'd need to buy and switch to and r380. All of the above is why I looked at the td5 as they are cheap and plentyful.

Mike

I think the oil filter on a 300tdi is in the way of the 200tdi mounts...

Are you disco or defender spec 200 i cant remember?

If you have a look at the products Steve Parker sells for putting 300tdi into a 90/110 or series you will see the mods needed to go 300tdi

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Yeah about that.....

Neither is a five minute job. But yes I've considered it and haven't ruled it out, in fact one may come to the house later in the year to try to relieve this issue in the future.

Just in case anyone's thinking Mike should stop the tale of woe and just get on with it... I've just been up and photographed the black one as it looks today...IMG_20240313_125223.thumb.jpg.27a296a4e5b0adc840aa2ba5f84aa0b9.jpg

Nope, not joking!

23 minutes ago, rusty_wingnut said:

It's leftfield, but I dare say you may find someone has a running engine you could beg/borrow while you repair what you have.

I've offered Mike a loaner 200tdi engine or indeed the complete motable 90 it lives in, but we agreed that both options probably expand the job in time and eat too much of the budget. (unless he wants to MoT the 90 and take the Ibex off the road for a year, which I'm sure he wouldn't want to do)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bare in mind I'm running 200tdi discovery engine, engine mounts, gearbox and exhaust not defender spec. Though I'm using r380 gearbox mounts on an lt77.

I had a feeling the oil filter housing was different but not sure if it clears the disco engine mounts. Mind the chassis side of the engine mount is bolt on but I'd still need to fab an new mount.

I'm trying not to be a tale of woe, honest. :blush: I've settled on the fact I either need to find a disco 200tdi or rebuild the one I have. Just need to find some penny's and get on with it.:i-m_so_happy:

Mike

1 minute ago, miketomcat said:

I'm trying not to be a tale of woe, honest. :blush:

I didn't mean to suggest you were - I just needed an excuse to post the photo of the car as it currently looks! :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wytze said:

Read... to poor money in🙃

The Jem would likely get 50mpg if kept with a 1.75 SU rather than a twin weber... he'd be SAVING money by having two cars.

You see the man-maths at work there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly all the options seem to add up to about the same in time & money:

• Fixing the spare 200 = new cam bearings and associated work / £1000+ in parts for a full rebuild plus a fair few evenings & weekends to do it & swap it over
  • Swapping in a 300 / TD5 / M57 / LS / 2.5NA / GX160 / Mr Watt's patented double-acting steam engine means a ton of work & sundries however you slice it, and it's almost inevitably going to add up to 1k
  • Buying a cheap runabout is going to cost you £1000+ by the time you've bought something, taxed/MOT/insure it and sort out the inevitable problems. And then we'll never hear the end of how boring it is :SVAgoaway:
  • Building a heap of brambles into a functioning, roadworthy and reliable Gem is unlikely to be a 5 minute job and will eat as many little sundries as an engine swap and quickly add up to over 1k and a ton of work.

TBH if you are still looking at donor Discos you may as well just buy one and run it as a cheap fixable runabout rather than chop it up and transplant it, it gets you on the road in something that can tow and that is still green oval (=repairable and not horrible/boring) - and if you're just going to buy one & run it you could expand the search to P38 DSE's or even Freelanders. But then the 'bex isn't getting fixed.

The TL;DR is I don't see a silver bullet for this that isn't going to cost the thick end of a grand and a chunk of time.

All the options apart from #1 mean the bex either doesn't get fixed, or gets chopped about and now you've got 2 different types of engines in your fleet and thus a reduced spares pile for the next thing that breaks...

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 8:58 AM, Daan said:

Rebuild your spare engine. Looking at the Turner's website, a rebuild engine looks expensive, but the parts are really cheap.

I am telling you what you already know, but as they say advice is what you ask for if you already know the answer, but wish you didn't.

Daan

About 6 pages ago....I would start pulling that spare engine apart and see how bad it looks. I get the point about having to buy another car costing money, but you have 2 of these unreliable, well used barges, and having a cheap but reliable run around increases your chances to get to work by around 100%. I mean who is to say the other TDI is going to last the distance. I have similar thoughts about our dailys, both of which have seen better days, so for now I just make sure the Landy starts on the button, so I could always use that as my back up in case of a problem. Having options basically.

Good luck with the budget rebuild and show us pictures!

Going forward I will get a jem running later this year as that's also tax exempt. It means if when I end up here again I at least have a back up plan. Mean while anyone got a good 200tdi in the south of England. :ph34r:

Mike

Don't forget that if you introduce an additional car to the mix, you will have to add the insurance, which won't have any available no claims bonus. If you were able to transfer it across from the Ibex then that would help but the Ibex would then be un-insured which would not be desirable.

21 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Well, you'll never believe this......

The clutch went on the way to work this morning. :im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

So it looks like the engines coming out sooner than planned. :hysterical:

Mike

Ouch. I'm guessing just the lever giving out as per usual?

Don't know yet, the clutch pedal went stiff ish coming off the motorway. Couldn't find any gears, managed to get it back into fifth and found a car park. A colleague has picked me up for work so I'll go and get it home tonight.

Mike

Sounds like a slave cylinder

Borrow Fridge's borescope and have a look at the interior of the bell housing

Just remember if it's the slave then everything else will need changing. Did you remove the clutch damper when you fitted the drive train - if not, I'd check that first

Damper has been removed and the slave is td5 from memory, there's no fluid loss in the master. It's also worth noting it's a V8 box on a diesel so it's possible the splines have let go, but It feels to me more like the arm has punched through. When I get it home I'll pull the slave but I suspect the engine is coming out and possibly the gearbox. Looks like I'll be borrowing the mother-in-law's bike :ph34r: For now.

Mike

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Damper has been removed and the slave is td5 from memory, there's no fluid loss in the master. It's also worth noting it's a V8 box on a diesel so it's possible the splines have let go, but It feels to me more like the arm has punched through. When I get it home I'll pull the slave but I suspect the engine is coming out and possibly the gearbox. Looks like I'll be borrowing the mother-in-law's bike :ph34r: For now.

Mike

It's possible for a seal to blow and simply bypass the fluid back into the system