Why a land rover and what do you do with it?

sportline

My 90TD5 was bought because:

I live in a hilly rural location where we get snow/ice that defeats 2WD vehicles.

It's got a 3500KG towing capability whch is needed to handle my big twin-axle Bateson flatbed.

Rear load area fulfils 'dogs and logs' requirement [carry half a ton of logs and/or a couple of German Shepherds].

It cruises at 85MPH on the M4 when I need to go somewhere in a hurry.

I'm planning to replace it with a Discovery "commercial" later this year.

I chose a Discovery 1 over all else this time round, needed a capable off road vehicle that was comfortable and versatile, no frills or bells and whistles, just as long as it was cheap.

I off road it a lot, road books and pay and play days abound, it lugs the dogs around and can carry just about anything in the cavernous load bay.

If I stopped off roading there are better vehicles to own as daily drivers, wouldn't be 4X4 or a Land Rover.

This particular one was bought as a restoration project but having owned numerous green ovals (mainly Discovery variants) they were bought for their 4x4 ability (farm/rural...never sees a gritter), the 3500kg towing capacity (always nice to pull that one out of the bag against the inlaws jap-carp) and of course practicality. The later D3 and D4 were the most versatile vehicles I've ever owned but not as DIY friendly as the earlier D2s and the defenders.

Current 90 is a jack of all trades...tows, carries tools, dump runs, school runs, recovers L200s when they get stuck or break. It is easy to work on, modify and personalise. It turns more heads than any sports car and is my pride and joy.

I'm a serial car builder I love British cars started with mini's (and still do) so land rover was a natural progression I off-road alot for fun, tow large trailers for various reasons and love the chanageability of them. Currently we have a 89 plate 90 (45), a 83 plate 110 (55) and a foers ibex 300 (in build) plus a mini Marcos and a mini jem.

Yeah I've got it bad....

Mike

I bought my Classic from my dad as my first car. It had been parked up for over a year as it wasn't a reliable daily driver for him anymore, but he didn't want to part with it. I enjoyed it for many years, but a rusty chassis and broken engine caused it to be parked up again (I couldn't part with it either). It's off to the great muddy field in the sky now, due to a workshop fire.

The P38 I bought after I parked up the Classic. I wanted something that still could go off-road, but with more engine, as I started absolutely hating the 300TDi at that point. So like any sensible man who's been annoyed by bad cooling systems, I bought a 4.6 V8 (which hasn't given me any real issues). I bought it cheap as a non-runner at 245k km 2.5 years ago, got it running the night we picked it up, found the stupidly simple issue months later (after spending quite a lot of cash with so-called "experts"), and it's now at 327k km. Since a few months the daily duties have been replaced by a company car in the form of a Mercedes C-class, and the P38 has been used as a workhorse and off-road toy.

I bought my classic as when my sj was stolen i wanted another cheap offroader but ine that was different to the suzuki as although i loved it to bits i didnt want to just build the same thing again. The range rover was big heavy powerful and auto whereas the suzuki was light nimble and low powered. I didnt want to go for anything bigger than a rang erover as it has to go on the trailer and the parts were cheaper and more available than say an old nissan or toyota. It was also important that it had 4 seats as i found the 2 in the suzuki could be restrictive at times.

My kids are now at an age where they want to come with me but im not entirely happy taking them to play sites so im building upto selling it and doing something more inclusive for them :(

I have had many LR product since the early eighties, I only have one today but this particular 90 was purchased by me in 1997 and I don't expect to part with it, I have to drive snowmobiles and ATV,s to mountain top sites and yet still get a blast out of the 90's performance both off and sometimes on road.

It's had a couple of chassis under it and every nut and bolt was put in place by me .... It's mine :-)

It's not practical and it's not very comfortable but ..... It's mine :-)

It tows like nothing else ( apart from a company £65k land cruiser, which is excellent ) and it is completely home maintainable.

It doesn't cause any RF noise that interferes with my radios ( unlike my company £65K land cruiser, which is ****)

My dog loves it

My wife tolerates it

I love it....... :-)

Youth spent playing with (original) Minis and always liked Landrovers, so <excuse> when junior daughter got a horse and it was moved to stables down a dirt track, it was the perfect reason to get a 110 both to get to it even when it is snowy and to tow a horse trailer, also it was the only sensible 4x4 she could be insured on in her teens so she could go the horse on her own</excuse>. Unfortunately, senior daughter wrote it off in 2010, so while it was being rebuilt we got a 90 as a stopgap, which we still have as well....And they are perfect for taking a muddy German Shepherd and Malamute about. If you want to be reasonably sure of having one you need two, don't you?

I have a 101 Ambulance that is being converted to a camper after being stripped by the previous owner of anything Ambulance related. Why.........well because it's cool and I've always wanted one :). I used to camp at Land Rover shows, then upgraded to a trailer tent and now upgrading to the 101 so it will be a practical as well as providing cheap holidays!

Also have a 300TDI 90 that was originally a hard top and my daily driver for many years, used for the same reasons as others, towing, dogs, off road fun I didn't want to sell it when I had to buy a car for economy reasons so turned it into an off road toy with a soft top and a roll cage. I love it, looks cool and is awesome off road, turns heads where ever it goes although not sure if that's because people think your mad driving something with 35" tyres on the road.

When I was about 8 years old I remember saying that when I grew up I wanted 2 dogs, two boys and two Range Rovers. That was 1970 just just after the launch. As I child my favourite toy cars were the Range Rovers.

When I was old enough to drive I had many cars however I always hankered after Range Rovers and when in my early 30's I got the chance of a very old 1978 RR with a transit diesel conversion I jumped at it. It was slow noisy and the wiring burnt itself out but I loved it and replaced it with a 3.5 Carbed SE then a 3.9 EFi then a CSK (Still have) then a Freelander HSE (New) then a Freelander 2 HSE. Then my ex left and I was broke so bought my first P38 then a Disco 2 because the P38 had the dreaded electrical problems. Then I bought another P38 and then the P38 I have today.

Guess what else......I have two Weimaraners and two boys 12 and 13.

Why............Don't know I have a transporter trailer which is useful to take the cars to the garage when one breaks down. I am [planning getting a (Big) boat they are great for the dogs and the P38 certainly looks really cool. Am planning on getting an L322 to add to the Disco P38 and CSK....Why? because I can and there is no one to moan at me for doing so.

Have flirted with the idea of buying other vehicles but for some reason I always wander back to the Land Rover models.

wow some impressive ownership stories there...

... bought when young + self employed as a single vehicle as a van wasn't a passion wagon ...

... I enjoy the driving position (says a man with it still in bits in the garage ... but less of every night!!)...

... I enjoy the fact that a hosepipe / jetwash can be used inside and out ... (yes the holes in the floor are a design feature!)

... and I can work on and under it for the main part without jackstands or jacks etc (never keen as a backyard mechanic being under a car in a tight space working alone) ... [an experience is using a hilift on the side of the public road whilst changing springs... ahh the days of being a naive youth ... and nope I didn't drop it and yup I did change all four + shocks ...)

... and I can (edit: could) normally (when it's not in bits) get it to run with a length of any old wire, an 11, 13, 17 spanners, two screwdrivers, a rotor arm and a plug spanner... anywhere on the planet ... (well in theory + probably not any more [signature line...]) ...

... happiest when driving / working on it! ...

For me it's been something deep in my psyche. Brought up in Kenya and living most of my life in (very isolated) New Zealand, I still feel very British and that's what older Land Rovers are. I'm also a very linear thinker and like the direct designed-for-a-purpose engineering of earlier Land Rovers. There is also part of me that hankers for real adventure and Land Rovers are good for that, even if my biggest such adventure was only a 31,000km criss-cross of Australia in a 22 year old Range Rover, just over a decade ago.

Anyway, I've had a dozen or more Land Rovers, including Series 1,2,3, Stage One V8, two 110s and two Range Rovers (plus eight Rover cars...). I get paid to drive a M********i 4WD so maybe don't even need to own a car at all but I've learnt that living without a Land Rover isn't what I want. I've also learnt that the basic seating position of a Land Rover works very well for me (unlike some Jap cars which have crippled me recently - an expensive visit to an orthopaedic surgeon today confirmed that!), that they are far more reliable and durable than hype would have you believe and that they are remarkably easy to get parts for, considering the age of the ones I tend to own!

And yes, I do use them. Great for getting into forestry blocks for firewood, accessing summer swimming holes up the river and getting to some very remote country in my job as an ecologist.

Bought my first LR a couple of years ago. Never previously owned one, but had driven them and other 4x4s all over the world in my job. Mainly equipment trials and surveying. Impressed with the ability to go almost anywhere and that the professionals relied on them to rescue far more modern and supposedly more capable vehicles.

When I retired and lost the company car, I wanted a load carrier and tow vehicle (mainly boats) that I could maintain myself. Having been an electronics engineer used to shoehorning electronics into harsh environments and then testing them to death, I had a low opinion of consumer vehicle electronics and wanted minimum electronics. My 300Tdi does all of that.

It's interesting that quite a few of us have progressed or should that be digressed from minis to land rovers.

Mike

Funny ..... another one, learned to drive in a landy, first car a mini lol

My reasons for a landy as above learned to drive in one..... being that they were originally designed to be offroad they have a real... feel, atmosphere lol the only others to have this feel are old 40 series cruisers and the veriations on the early CJ jeep, thats it and to me it makes these just that little bit more enjoyable playing off road

All that aside from a practical point of view... (4wd moding point of view) simple panels so possible for me to make them, simple square body shape so bar work is quick and easy, body attatched to chassis (no soft mounts and there issues with roll cage mounts) and flat glass so cheap to fix replace.... basically they are a nice clean canvas to work on with few problems

As for use lol I'm a work-aholic with goals I want to achieve in the next few yrs and both my trucks are mid major modifications so I don't do any thing with them.... when finished (lol a few yrs off at this stage...) one will be a winch challange club toy and the other a daily driver tow truck

First car 850 minivan, wanted a softop but couln't afford the insurance. Went to some trials got a left seat in a S1 86" so bought a true bar find then got offered a V8 86" and all my Christmasses came at once! Got rid of the rotten one and found out my V8 one was famous, and much better offroad than I could drive!

That was 33 years ago and it aint leaving the family!

Marc