A Challenge Event to Suit all Levels - Mike Wolfe Winch Event

:D Heads up eyes and ears open everyone - here's something rather special ! :D

The Mike Wolfe Winch Challenge Event...... is back !

In Association with the Shires Land Rover Club & Hosted by LR4x4.com

Waaaay back after the sadly fatal RTA of Mike Woolfe aka KCC - Rapid Rovers fame, I along with a few others started this memorial event.

It grew and grew in popularity, becoming a defo fixture on the calendar for many, when I handed it over to a club to continue with

running it they basically messed about and the last 2 years cancelled it at the last minute.

Not only did this give the club a bad reputation, it seriously annoyed many..... and that included me. :angry2:

As a result I promised I would see if I could resolve this.

Having spoken to More 4x4 owner (was KCC) Shaun Goring he too is keen to see this back on the agenda, and gave me not only a green light but his blessing.

Having discussed this with the LR4x4.com A&M Team they are equally keen to host the event, and having also spent some time with SLRC

(Shires Land Rover Club) they ill run with proper suitable insurance cover etc, .....so we now have a proper "Green Light" :i-m_so_happy:

A few key things

• Date is TBA- it MIGHT be this year, it may be next - depends on the interest and take up !This event is NON PROFIT Making - this means low entry fees !
  • Will be a One Day event - once a year
  • ANY profits go to the SLRC Charity "Hampshire Air Ambulance"
  • NOBODY involved is going to make profits
  • Event is being Hosted By John Morgan - and will be on his Slindon Site - some thing for everyone at all levels
  • Sponsors are being contacted, costs to sponsors is minimal, Megasquirt V8 Ltd is one sponsor:D
  • Have a magazine lined up with an exclusive coverage - hows about a LR4x4 Stand on the day... anyone ?
  • Prizes are Minimal but will be 1 2 3rd each class -but minimal - this is number 1 a Fun Event
  • Trophies are already being covered by More 4x4as a donation to the event
  • I will be the Organizer and COC
  • We have first aid support Via SLRC
  • Marshalls are either Peeps I know those who have offered and SLRC - but help is welcome - PM me with offers !
  • There will be a HUGE range of punches to go for, open to ALL classes, but scoring will reflect class doing it
  • NO SILLY GAMES NO SPECIAL SECTIONS but some optional sections to test out BRAINS
  • EVERYONE entering knows they can win AGAINST A SIMILAR SPEC Team
  • You can enter as a single vehicle team or a as a team of 2 or even 3 - but a cunning scoring system will make it even against a single Vehicle team
  • Spectators welcome and free entry.
  • Air Ambulance crew will be there, expect a bucket for loose change being waved under your nose as a donation :lol:
  • I have been about a fair bit :P and know the tricks etc, it will be a even field when the flag goes up :D
  • To that end - with the cunning scoring system there will be an "OUTRIGHT WINNER" could be a Yellow ! ....

The bare outlines of the event are as follows (and may be tweaked)

Contact is Via Myself (Hybrid_From_Hell) either via posting on THIS thread or PM

LR4x4 are Hosting the event, and will take ZERO profits

SLRC will run the event in conjunction with LR4x4 and it is a fully insured event

Classes.

Possibly 4 classes - Class entry and seeding is by VECHILE SPEC

Red Class

You name it its probably allowed, except max 4x4 size and weigh - so no tanks ARVs or Scammells

Portal axle 4 wheels steering Full hydro etc - Anything non Road going is also in this class

Max Tyres 40ish (TBA)" (On the tyre wall not actual size)

Green

Your "Typical" Challenge truck, if you have more than 1 winch, more than one locker, than your be in this class

and it must be MOT'd Taxed or your in red class

Blue

A more basic 4x4. Allowed say 1 x winch MAX and 1 x Locker MAX, 35" or Less actual size tyres

Yellow

A truck that normally says its uncompetitive against the rest of the field - so we really want to see these sorts of trucks

enter - maybe 1st timers, or experienced crews using a more standard truck ? Tyres can be 35" but NO Lockers and maximum of ONE winch

Some things are banned from all classes

ALCOHOL - anyone found drinking will be thrown off site

SMOKING whilst driving - as above

Chains to recover

Any and I mean ANYTHING the Official deem dangerous or unsafe (Had a guy with 2 x jerry cans of petrol strapped on roll cage at scrutineering once ... :rofl: and argued ... :rtfm:

Welded Tow balls etc etc etc

If we think its unsafe or dangerous then tough.....ists then not allowed, I have the ;last word if appealed ... :ph34r:

Key thingS

This is a serious but FUN event

Lunchtime will prob have a free BBQ for all drivers.and navigators

Entry costs possibly around £35.00 - £40.00 PER VECHILE and includes driver and Winch Bitch + £5 to covercompetition Insurance if not a SLRC Member

There is a 4x4 LIMIT of numbers, once the date is set those who have requested slots in ANY class are offerred in line with who registered interests 1st etc

On confirmation of booking a 50% NO REFUNDABLE deposit will be required on acceptance - but the date will be set etc :)

So

We need to Know

• Who might Like to enter (date being OK) and which class
  • Thoughts on the class system ? and no I am not going to get into huge debates but need to make it good for all

THOUGHTS then ?

And feel free to post this one other forums,....... would not be adverse to having a 5th team of inter forum challenge :D ?

and if your a business and would like to be involved as a sponsor contact me !! (before I hunt you down anyway :P )

Nige

PS Posted here as its a LR4x4 EVENT ! also in Getting out and competting too !

Nige, sounds brilliant, and may actually get me off my arse to finish the truck, actually that's not fair on me, been a bit busy lately :blink:

Actually never been to Slindon, but at that price it makes it worth the fuel for sure.

Agree on 35 being a bit small for 'anything goes' trucks, but then I will most likely to be running 33s :)

That sounds great... even for a 'yellow' like me!

Absolutely deliberate - we wnat to encourage "Yellows" with the come and do what you wnat without risking complete trash of your truck, and with similar spec 4x4s to compete against and win YOUR class and even possibly with the scoring system "OUTRIGHT WINNER"

Nige

I'll do it. Whether you prefer me to marshall or compete I am going to let you decide.

(I know full well, I have just given myself a job here).

A date tends to be usefull to organize things though, but thats just me being picky. :ph34r:

Daan

If it's a Shire event, do the vehicles have to have Tax, MOT & Insurance as per others?

Doh, just seen answer.

I am interested - either Red or Yellow depending on which vehicle is running!

Si

If it's a Shire event, do the vehicles have to have Tax, MOT & Insurance as per others?

Doh, just seen answer.

I am interested - either Red or Yellow depending on which vehicle is running!

Si

Go yellow and enter the 110 Si ;)

Think I could be tempted to enter as a yellow too, date dependant of course.

I think this is a great thing to do!

I remember fondly the days of the Challenges organised by Paul Wightman and even the early JBS (I think it was JBS - Jim Marsden was the J) - which were good fun, friendly and you could enter it in a standard truck with a Tirfor winch (as Mike Hammond in ALF did).

Since then it's all become a bit too serious and as it's become more serious, the field of people who can enter gets smaller & smaller.

There was a thread a while back on a <cough>Suzuki<cough> forum asking why there were no Challenges they could enter - something like an RTV Challenge.

Si