Thoughts and musings on the new defender

15 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Worth noting that, that’s the Bronco sport, not the Bronco. 

You are right - I hadn't made the distinction. I can see the likeness between the Bronco Sport and the Pretender. I prefer the full blown Bronco out of the three for sure.... !

• Like 1

Land Rover have released some figures ... That are being described as underwhelming:

Despite being configured online 1.6m times by enthusiasts, only 11,000 customer orders have been placed for the car so far, with a further 11,000 test-drive cars ordered by dealers, according to JLR’s annual results.

11k for dealers test drive cars seems a high number , I wonder how many JLR dealers there are worldwide ? . There are not many here in East Anglia .

Is the (similar) data still around for figures when the 110 was released ?

Steve

2 hours ago, steve b said:

11k for dealers test drive cars seems a high number , I wonder how many JLR dealers there are worldwide ? . There are not many here in East Anglia .

Is the (similar) data still around for figures when the 110 was released ?

Steve

I just asked google some questions on how many dealerships they have .... look at the other questions google reported on 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.8a98429d9665b7a195a5f7646c8c030b.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, Anderzander said:

I just asked google some questions on how many dealerships they have .... look at the other questions google reported on 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.8a98429d9665b7a195a5f7646c8c030b.jpeg

It doesn’t help that all the modern LRs look so much like a lot of the modern Fords, especially the Explorer and Edge.

19 hours ago, Naks said:

and more issues for PowerfulUK:

- 360 camera
- Emergency steering and brake assist
- Lost power steering

So, no improvement in reliability or build quality for the new vehicle.  It won’t be long until the vulnerability of its over complex nature is exposed.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Perhaps the American market isn’t quite the target for trading of their past ? 

Or they don’t associate Range Rover with anything other than conspicuous consumption...

I think most Americans are only aware of Range Rovers as a Hollywood villain’s car.🤔

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

So, no improvement in reliability or build quality for the new vehicle.  It won’t be long until the vulnerability of its over complex nature is exposed.

And really that is the biggest issue with this insanely complex new vehicles. Just by the number of complex systems that exist there will be problems like this occurring. There will be zero chance that you will be able to fix these items yourself. Once these depreciate and are out of warranty, it will make no sense to keep them repaired.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The problems I see on the local LR Facebook group, where the heat and dust is pretty harsh, on vehicles just a year or so old shows that the brand just isn’t up to more than a rich person’s Chelsea Tractor and occasional play thing.  It’s really sad to see the decline of the name.

On 7/19/2020 at 3:03 AM, Naks said:

Some more off-roading from Colorado:

I've got to say, they were brave with that expensive, new vehicle.  Trashed the wheels, put a hole in that vulnerable plastic up front, lots of paint scratches. I also find it hard to watch, teetering around like it does.  On the plus side, it made it up quite easily, which is the point, after all!  It is interesting that they set the computers up to allow a bit more wheelspin and reckoned that worked better.  

The tracks at work have recently been trashed beyond belief by the super-evil wind farmers.  We counted how many times my work-provided Mistubishi scraped it's belly yesterday.  57 times!  I'm quite sure it wouldn't have bothered me at all in my own 110 but I couldn't help wondering how well an air-lifted new Defender would have gone?  Presumably absolutely fine but the cost of any crunches might be higher...

(As a bit of an aside, I warned my boss about the tracks and suggested I just use my own car up there for a while.  Oh no, he'd much rather I wreck his car than be seen in my scruffy Land Rover.  Happy to oblige!)

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Do any of the Land Rover publicity shots show one with off road biased tyres ?  They all seem to be low profile road tyres or AT’s.

Why on earth would you put anything other than low profile on this car? Can you imagine the impact that would have on handling and road holding at high speed? 

Don't be silly.

• Sad 1

Got cut up by a silver 2020 yesterday afternoon. 

On the A38 out of Plymouth, nice open empty road, came from nowhere (I'm in my blue 90 tootling up one of the longer hills at about 60), and then there was this silver thing cut in front of me and shot off up the hill.

Pretty unimpressed, quite obvious the driver saw it as an opportunity to show off his new vehicle but there was no need for them to chop in front of me on a clear duel carriageway...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Do any of the Land Rover publicity shots show one with off road biased tyres ?  They all seem to be low profile road tyres or AT’s.

Many seem to have been shod with Goodyear Duratracs. Very good tyre and OEM fit for many off road trucks in the USA. Doubt you'll be able to option them in the UK however.

17 hours ago, deep said:

It is interesting that they set the computers up to allow a bit more wheelspin and reckoned that worked better.  

This is my personal beef with the Terrain Response system. You need to be an expert on the terrain and how the system works to know which setting to use. It's way more complicated and difficult to use than a regular 4wd system.

When my Uncle was at Eastnor on a Land Rover experience day. The instructor told him he'd have to use the sand/desert mode to allow more wheel slip and revs. If you used what looked to be the right mode (mud and ruts) it wouldn't make it up.

• Like 1