Thoughts and musings on the new defender

7 hours ago, Red90 said:

No, those were all easy trails.  You barely need four wheel drive to tackle them.

If you do not understand where low pressure is required, then you have no experience on hard off road terrain.

I have to say that nothing that I saw in the Moab videos seemed particularly challenging. Likewise the Tusk footage, bit of splashing about, a clay track, some grassland and a fairly lightly laden trailer. It wasn't exactly the Camel Trophy.

6 hours ago, discomikey said:

While access in that particular body is yet to be seen. if you look inside a D5 V6D you can practically stand in there with it. Failing that, the subframes with engine and box fitted can be removed from a body in a couple of hours. 

Glad to hear they have at least learned some lessons!

I'm not against it, I just don't like how the media do a drag race against something else to show how amazing it is but fail to mention that it can only do it for short periods. For normal driving it's fine, a quick burst to get you infront of a lorry when joining the motorway or overtaking a lorry. However for something that tows where you need more power for a longer period they need to make sure the batteries are big enough and can be charged quickly enough which means the engine needs enough power to drag the trailer at 60mph and put energy back into the battery. In my opinion the hybrid system is suited to people who commute from a suburb on a petrol engine then crawl through the city on electric so that they're not making air pollution worse. 

I also find these small engines with amazing power figures have such small power bands that they're only drivable with a quick shifting auto box with 8 or 9 gears. 

• Like 2

expand on my previous answer.

In my opinion (and I realise everybody has one of those) personal transportation will come under increasing pressures and become a luxury affordable only for the very wealthy.

Costs to buy, costs to run, costs to park, costs to enter urban conurbations, an ever increasing tax burden, increasing social pressures in urban areas, ever more restrictive legislation and myriad other reasons

3 hours ago, neil110 said:

expand on my previous answer.

In my opinion (and I realise everybody has one of those) personal transportation will come under increasing pressures and become a luxury affordable only for the very wealthy.

Costs to buy, costs to run, costs to park, costs to enter urban conurbations, an ever increasing tax burden, increasing social pressures in urban areas, ever more restrictive legislation and myriad other reasons

... And if you live in the country, an absolute necessity.

This long, long, drawn out peek a boo, drip, drip, drip of a debut is a real turn off. Nothing but BORING [to me] marketing bull-hype which does not excite me in the least, it's akin to a kids game and with that display JLR are doubtless hoping it has created an air of expectation and desire among the wannabe bush hat / canvas with leather trimmed man-bag crowd.

Pathetic.

• Like 4

Had a quick kite at it myself at Goodwood today , all the time listening to some sexy young beards getting horny over it , I think it was the same herd of pretty young things getting wet when it went up the hill , not sure if they appreciated my mumblings although to be fair I was also moaning about the price of the feckin beer at the same time . On a brighter note , the Twisted stand was impressive but not as impressive as the Army lads hoofing around the forest rally track in some standard 90s who took the time to have a natter to my young grandson , hats off to them .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

This long, long, drawn out peek a boo, drip, drip, drip of a debut is a real turn off. Nothing but BORING [to me] marketing bull-hype which does not excite me in the least, it's akin to a kids game and with that display JLR are doubtless hoping it has created an air of expectation and desire among the wannabe bush hat / canvas with leather trimmed man-bag crowd.

Pathetic.

Aw, don't you enjoy the detective game?  As I'm highly unlikely to buy one in the foreseeable future, I am thoroughly enjoying this process, probably more than I would enjoy the end result!  Though, with a couple of camouflage-free piccies out there and some underbelly and interior shots as well, there is little left to guess in terms of styling.

At least there are some pseudo off-road tyres on the latest one...

4 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

JLR are doubtless hoping it has created an air of expectation and desire among the wannabe bush hat / canvas with leather trimmed man-bag crowd.

Well put :hysterical:

The one thing I am relatively certain about is that it didn't drive up that stand, it was put there - as it would have knocked off both the front and rear bumpers in the process :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

...........I am also relatively certain the rocks are plastic/fake and were arranged using full adventure feng shui

5 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

JLR are doubtless hoping it has created an air of expectation and desire among the wannabe bush hat / canvas with Vegan leather trimmed man-bag crowd.

Pathetic.

sorted that out for you Steve

:D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Pathetic.

Totally agree , I’m completely over  it and don’t even bother looking at any pictures of it or reading any of the Land Rover sponsored blurb in the papers and online , I only look in this thread to read the amusing rants for and against 🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

Do they not have an offroad track at goodwood this year then? 

I'd love it if they did all this then on the true unveil it was completely different :D

Oh! You mean with proper springs? 

None of this air bag and coil nonsense?

Proper leaf springs like the good utility trucks?

And decent 6 cylinder straight diesels?

And a galvanized chassis?

4 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

Do they not have an offroad track at goodwood this year then? 

I'd love it if they did all this then on the true unveil it was completely different :D

Yes - go through all the nonsense and then the real one looks like the original Ibex :lol:

9 minutes ago, neil110 said:

Hardly rocket science - did anyone really think that if we replace cars one for one with electric ones then it will solve congestion problems?! I wonder how much a report to state the obvious cost! Its likely to make parking more of a nightmare because everyone without a drive will need to park outside their houses and run extension cables to the car - H&S triphazard nightmare!!!

Edited by reb78

"Often once people start to live without a car they wonder why they wanted one in the first place – a car is so much hassle."

What a load of claptrap! Hassle? No, it is utter convenience, that is why so many people own them. Young people don't car about cars because they are just glittery white goods, not exciting, sporty stuff of yesteryear, and of course way out of their affordability zone.

Honestly, haven't seen anything with more bias since I saw Ann Widdecombe being 'interviewed' on newsnight last night. Appreciate that doesn't seem long, but it is the age we live in.

11 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

"Often once people start to live without a car they wonder why they wanted one in the first place – a car is so much hassle."

What a load of claptrap! Hassle? No, it is utter convenience, that is why so many people own them. Young people don't car about cars because they are just glittery white goods, not exciting, sporty stuff of yesteryear, and of course way out of their affordability zone.

Honestly, haven't seen anything with more bias since I saw Ann Widdecombe being 'interviewed' on newsnight last night. Appreciate that doesn't seem long, but it is the age we live in.

Very true. Wait a while and I'm sure a certain Mr Packham will be sticking his oar in...

17 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Haha - absolutely. When the HG went on the 110 a couple of years ago I had to get the train back from Callington, Cornwall to Potters Bar, Herts - this meant 45 mins to get to Plymouth, then over 7 hours on trains including the trek across London on the Tube. Cost - a ticket 'door to door' (not really was it as i had to get to Plymouth and back from PB station was an eye watering £100. Plymouth to Paddington was £60 (then a tenner to cross London and a one way ticket to Potters Bar) - how can they justify the £100 for the same route?! I could only take as much as I could carry so didnt have everything I needed for the next week and couldnt leave things on the train as I would a. lose my seat (wasnt going to pay extra to book one!!) and b. the expensive stuff like laptops might get nicked!

In the Landy, the trip is 4 1/4 hours and costs about £60 on diesel, nearer £35 on Veg Oil  and i can take as much carp as I like, stop when I like (with my stuff locked away), and drive door to door!! There is absolutely no comparison!!! The whole train journey would need to be around £15 to make me consider it seriously!

• Like 3