Thoughts and musings on the new defender

On 8/10/2019 at 9:59 AM, GBMUD said:

I took my Freelander2 off-road in Wales with a group of Defender drivers. 

C'mon.... Apart from a little puncture we learned a lot that day.... Very capable beastie but not enough clearance on the angles.... I was impressed by it for the majority of the day !!!

Is it about here I post the video of Ash wobbling his 110?? :)

11 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

Curious as to what you mean?

are you meaning a solid axle Ultra 4 Vs a IFS Ultra4?

Sort of... There's plenty of "Ultra 4 vs Rock Bouncer videos" but they're all time-based competitions. I know the Ultra4 guys don't air down and run more "all-terrain" biased tyres due to the mixed racing they do and instead prefer to throw power and speed at the problem.

What I'd be more curious is seeing them on, I suppose, would be more along the lines of what we might see in the UK - a mix of bogs, (thinking Highlands :ph34r:), mud, rocks, grass etc. but rather than throw power into the equation follow the Green Lane Code and tread lightly so to speak. I.e. eliminate the huge (and admittedly fun) HP and speed figures and try and complete a course with minimal wheel spin and damage underneath. That should tell us a little more about the actual capabilities of the vehicle, momentum and speed can overcome a lot of shortcomings.

I mean the Norwegian Army wanted to learn to fly and they didn't have any planes - so momentum and speed helped out here :hysterical:

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 4:04 PM, Cynic-al said:

I work in manufacturing and am as dismayed by the offshoring that various politicians have enabled and encouraged, and I would agree that the UK MOD should by local rather than cheapest, however my only reservation would be if I'm sending a person to war I would want my priories to be 1) best equipment, 2) locally sourced 3) cheapest. 

The thing is, the UK makes a lot of the best kit - we make the best ships, best submarines, best tanks, and are the key ingredient in making some of the top aircraft (notice how similar Typhoon is to the early 80s BAe EAP, and remember how Saab and Lockheed had to bring BAe in to sort out the Grippen and the STOVL aspect of F35?).  Sourcing at home is also the cheapest, though the ticket price may be higher, as the supplier will pay corporate taxes at home, their staff will pay income taxes and NIC here, and they will be paying VAT on their shopping and local government rates/taxes, so a lot of the spend comes back in tax revenue, while foreign kit sees the money go abroad and never return.  It’s amazing how little politicians and the civil service understand about things like that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

The thing is, the UK makes a lot of the best kit - we make the best ships, best submarines, best tanks, and are the key ingredient in making some of the top aircraft (notice how similar Typhoon is to the early 80s BAe EAP, and remember how Saab and Lockheed had to bring BAe in to sort out the Grippen and the STOVL aspect of F35?).  Sourcing at home is also the cheapest, though the ticket price may be higher, as the supplier will pay corporate taxes at home, their staff will pay income taxes and NIC here, and they will be paying VAT on their shopping and local government rates/taxes, so a lot of the spend comes back in tax revenue, while foreign kit sees the money go abroad and never return.  It’s amazing how little politicians and the civil service understand about things like that...

I completely agree that if the government spend £1 supporting an industry they get £1.50 back in taxes and a £2.00 saving on unemployment related spending or whatever. It's the dilemma they're having at the steelworks at S****horpe at the moment. They claim it will put 20,000 people out of work. The steelworks wanted help to pay a £120 million EU fine for pollution as they've been frozen out of the EU carbon trading scheme due to brexit. The government claim they can't directly help due to EU rules. The business has been close to closure for decades, if the price of steel goes up they're ok, if it goes down they're losing money. As a business it is as inefficient as the NHS but it's hard to control something that big. However I think it would be worthwhile for the politicians trying to keeping it going rather than just trying to blame other departments. 

• Like 1

Only if the moderators are going to abide by the vote and not vote to overrule the vote because they know better than the voters despite not knowing better than the voters before the voters voted else they could've better guided the voters on how best to vote then the voters would've voted the way they were supposed to vote. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

Only if the moderators are going to abide by the vote and not vote to overrule the vote because they know better than the voters despite not knowing better than the voters before the voters voted else they could've better guided the voters on how best to vote then the voters would've voted the way they were supposed to vote. 

No chance pal!

Whatever your opinions of the vehicle, I think we'd all like to be the test drivers!

9 hours ago, BogMonster said:

No chance pal!

In that case I suggest the moderators do a deal with the web host which allows lr4x4 to leave the host whilst still being hosted by the host. I would suggest the most appropriate deal would be one which neither the lr4x4 moderators or host moderators desire. If both sides object to the deal equally then logic states they will all agree to it as it's fair. If they don't just keep blindly putting the same deal forward for vote in the hope that people get bored of voting and give up whilst being completely oblivious to the fact that their time wasting is more crippling to the community than either being hosted or not hosted by the host. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Wasn't there as song about ".....if you wanna go, why don't you go now, go now......"

Oh well...

For me it is still a Skoda on steroids.

Will be nice no doubt -  but not for me..