Thoughts and musings on the new defender

I don't mind it, it's not a "defender" but that name does help with the marketing. Maybe if everyone calls old defenders 90's and 110s then that keeps them with the series family and this with a new family :D

I would class it as an SUV that you can actually take off tarmac rather than one of the many that you can't.

Lets face it it was never going to be £20k, LR aren't interested in that market, but very few people actually buy new cars, most PCP or whatever, the monthly payment comes down to more than just the list price, it's to do with resale value, bulk discounts etc, and as most people PCP so that they can have a more expensive car than they can actually afford having a high ticket price but a lower PCP price actually attracts buyers who want others to look at them as if they're more important than they are. Or maybe I'm just cynical...

3 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

Lets face it it was never going to be £20k, LR aren't interested in that market

Not many vehicles are sub-20k these days - even vans etc. are creeping up (VW want 27k for a basic Transporter these days!) - if you want a Dacia Duster ("starting at £10,995") with 4WD it'll set you back 16k and you're lucky if you get windscreen wipers thrown in for that. Mind you, it probably leaks less than a Defender :lol:

Was admiring the Fiat 500 Arbaths at Silverstone, you can spend 28k on one of those :blink:

It looks interesting - not so sure about the odd styling of the half-blanked-out side windows though?

What's that all about?? It's not elegant.

A bit too late for me though - I've decided to defect and go the LWB Landcruiser "Commercial" route.

9 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

It looks interesting - not so sure about the odd styling of the half-blanked-out side windows though?

What's that all about?? It's not elegant.

I do wonder how annoying that will  be when your angle parked beside a van and want to pull out?  Hopefully there will be a glass option.  Actually, I can already see an aftermarket business supplying round headlights and the like so it's possible someone will provide that option!

Well, it's announcement day here - not that it means anything as we'll have to wait for people living further west to wake up.  To all the dreamers, good luck.

It doesn't look too bad. I'll probably hate the interior for being to modern. But it might very well turn out to be one of the few new cars I'd actually consider (most of them would just have me buying a train ticket...).

Filip

10 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

The whole motorshow reveal seems pretty pointless now all the details are out :lol: 

now now, that thwack Gerry has to have his 60 minutes of waffling in the limelight 😂

Edited by Naks
  • Like 1

Not sure why it took 8 years to go from this...

0000e3e3085f-77af-4c5a-9.jpg

to what’s been launched. Looks like a mid life facelift of the original DC100 design that was slated so much at the time.

It will be interesting to see how much incremental sales LR gets out of the Defender. I suspect it more likely to grab sales from Discovery etc. than from competitors. 

• Haha 1

I've only been casually following, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of "utility" to the new defender. Much prattling on about suspension travel and suchlike, which I don't see as particularly relevant. I always saw the series/defenders real strength as being adaptable. The new thing looks about as adaptable as any large car, which is essentially what the Freelander (and pretty much any post-Freelander LR) is. Certainly what I've seen looks less useful than a (insert any manufacturer here) pickup or suchlike. 

I'm sure it's decent enough for bumping up curbs dropping Tarquin and Tobias to school down the lane "that's full of ghastly pot-holes, darling", but is it really in the spirit of the Defender? I don't really see it. As for faux chequer plate... That's a genuine crime. 

I actually quite like the way it looks though, chequer plate aside. 

3 hours ago, V8 Freak said:

I like it. 

Yup, I think I do too.  Sort of!  I'm a bit put off by the silly touches and the worship of electronics but that seems inevitable these days.  I can picture driving and using one (when that commercial variant comes out).

Actually, my overwhelming thought is that it more or less replaces passenger variants of the old Defender and the Discovery 5 in one hit.  It makes the D5 look plain silly.  In fact, why even get a Range Rover now?

Looking forward to conning myself a test drive one day... 

Long time no post...

I don't hate it, but £45k for a basic spec 110??  LR clearly not interested in the market that is farmers and tradesmen buying a mid-spec jap pickup for £26k are they?  A few grand more, possibly, but they've clearly made the decision to take themselves out of that market altogether, despite the 'commerical' variants.

Edited by UdderlyOffroad