Land Rover classic parts

cackshifter

We had the S2 club AGM at Land Rover Reborn last year and we were given a very quick tour, there were racks of S1s waiting for "restoration" but they seemed to be on hold because they were working on very late model defenders which they had bought in to upgrade and improve to make "like new".  The sale price was eyewatering, you could buy a house for less.

Peter

1 hour ago, Romahomepete said:

We had the S2 club AGM at Land Rover Reborn last year and we were given a very quick tour, there were racks of S1s waiting for "restoration" but they seemed to be on hold because they were working on very late model defenders which they had bought in to upgrade and improve to make "like new".  The sale price was eyewatering, you could buy a house for less.

Peter

And for the money, you get a “fast” Defender that may be able to keep up with a low end Ford Focus, but lose most of its off road ability because of the silly suspension and low profile tyres.  I just don’t understand the interest in hobbling off-roaders to make them into bad road cars.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

And for the money, you get a “fast” Defender that may be able to keep up with a low end Ford Focus, but lose most of its off road ability because of the silly suspension and low profile tyres.  I just don’t understand the interest in hobbling off-roaders to make them into bad road cars.

My old V8 90 with it's 3.9 auto could lose your low end Focus at the lights, despite wearing moderately wide MTs. My vehicles are very much the sheep in wolf's clothes - it's warming to see the surprised faces from time to time, and tere's no need to spend all that much if this is your target 😁

As much as I have experienced that myself, I have to agree with Snagger. Getting away at the lights in a straight line against people who may or may not even be trying is one thing. Add corners and the Defender just falls apart in comparison*. Even mid range hot hatches are doing 0-60 in 5 seconds and have suspension setups that make 90's sports cars look like horsedrawn carts.

There's a whole industry around this 'fast Defender' thing, but the vehicle loses so much of what makes it a Defender to make it what it was never intended to be and the end product is always at the mercy of very attainable performance cars. It comes down to how hard the other driver wants to embarrass you, which we don't know and never will when retelling the "I kept up with an M3" story down the pub.

*yes I know some will take exception to this as their 90 corners like it's on rails and does 0-60 in 3 secs but really, drive a modern performance car. They're nowhere near.

4 hours ago, mickeyw said:

My old V8 90 with it's 3.9 auto could lose your low end Focus at the lights, despite wearing moderately wide MTs. My vehicles are very much the sheep in wolf's clothes - it's warming to see the surprised faces from time to time, and tere's no need to spend all that much if this is your target 😁

Looking forward to doing that in the 6x6 if I get the 1UZ shoehorned in there - few more ponies than a 3.9 and potential for a lot more if I completely lose my mind (well, got to find it first). So far it's cost £550 and I haven't sold off any parts of the Lexus yet, currently my hope is that apart from a few hoses and V8 radiator I won't have to buy anything else in - I've managed to accumulate a fairly large scrap pile of useful bits recently :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Romahomepete said:

Peter

That would have been the Works V8s then. 

1 hour ago, Happyoldgit said:

It's really a load of rowlocks for the trendy urban original Defender brigade, there are allegedly forums elsewhere that full of them.

What flavour clay bar and interrior shampoos are fashionable this week?

You seem to know too much about this Steve :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Looking forward to doing that in the 6x6 if I get the 1UZ shoehorned in there - few more ponies than a 3.9 and potential for a lot more if I completely lose my mind (well, got to find it first). So far it's cost £550 and I haven't sold off any parts of the Lexus yet, currently my hope is that apart from a few hoses and V8 radiator I won't have to buy anything else in - I've managed to accumulate a fairly large scrap pile of useful bits recently :ph34r:

A 6x6 race car hot hatch flattener , bring it on 🤣

And, knowing the state of the springs on the 6x6, it will certainly handle. Zero deflection and body roll. You'll need spinal surgery afterwards, but it will go around corners like it was on rails.

I think they just won the contest for the most confusing website in the world ever:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/lr017952-disc-brake.html?code=L8E02005

A disc brake is the whole thing, no? disc, caliper, pads, pins, bolts etc...

Or is that just the disc?

So what's the point of the diagram?

3 hours ago, Gazzar said:

And, knowing the state of the springs on the 6x6, it will certainly handle. Zero deflection and body roll. You'll need spinal surgery afterwards, but it will go around corners like it was on rails.

Wasn't going to say it but...

24 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I think they just won the contest for the most confusing website in the world ever:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/lr017952-disc-brake.html?code=L8E02005

A disc brake is the whole thing, no? disc, caliper, pads, pins, bolts etc...

Or is that just the disc?

So what's the point of the diagram?

"This is part 1 on the illustration."

2 minutes ago, elbekko said:

"This is part 1 on the illustration."

Now I see that, AFTER the description, price, availability, qty, and add to basket button. 🤦‍♂️

Oh, and 500 words on delivery on every single page.

The person responsible for this ought to be shot (well maybe just fired).