Horrific

Anderzander

33 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Not sure how a snapped shaft causes a wheel to come off? Aren't only the earliest series 1s semi floating?

From the article:

Faults with the vehicle included a missing outer wheel bearing, brake defects and a damaged tyre.

That would surely do it?

Sounds like a lot of stuff between the lines with this - young lad, "just picked the car up", worked on it / didn't work on it, been off-roading in it... sad to say it sounds like a fair portion of the off-road crowd at any given event.

1 minute ago, FridgeFreezer said:

From the article:

That would surely do it?

Sounds like a lot of stuff between the lines with this - young lad, "just picked the car up", worked on it / didn't work on it, been off-roading in it... sad to say it sounds like a fair portion of the off-road crowd at any given event.

Missed that bit! :( 

This is why I hate all the home-build defenders done with a collection of ebay parts then put on the road with a pair of reg plates from a series 3 so they don't have to face an mot, and why I cringe everytime I read on a facebook group "what bits do I need to convert brakes on an ABS range rover".  Frankly amazing this doesn't happen more often

• Like 4

There are many notable incidents involving poor maintenance of LRs in particular that should have been the wake up call we all needed about the importance of making sure things are done right. Each of these incidents brings us closer to being banned from putting tools anywhere near a vehicle that will be used in the road.

This is exactly why I despair at those mainly young people who look to Youtube etc for guidance by some other know nothing bodger.

Here is a pic of one of mine. Coil sprung series 3 made from what was then a good RRC chassis. built in 1993.

I cant use it any more because of the points system, and I cant "prove" it was done more than 10 years ago, otherwise I would buy a new chassis. 

Its fully road legal because its MOT exempt and is insured, but no way would I use it on the road, but sadly, Im sure there are loads running around like this.  

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

Its fully road legal because its MOT exempt and is insured, but no way would I use it on the road, but sadly, Im sure there are loads running around like this.  

Err, no it's not - if the vehicle isn't roadworthy you have a legal obligation not to drive it on the road (as, rightly you have done). The MOT only checks that the vehicle is roadworthy on that date - it's the driver's responsibility to ensure it is roadworthy at the time of use.

• Like 3

That is basically what a 2 door chassis looks like under the paint now unless treated/changed as they were pretty rubbish to start with.

I scrapped my S2 hybrid as the chassis though not as bad as that but the area around the central cross member was not good also because the builder used the S2 reg.

13 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Err, no it's not - if the vehicle isn't roadworthy you have a legal obligation not to drive it on the road (as, rightly you have done). The MOT only checks that the vehicle is roadworthy on that date - it's the driver's responsibility to ensure it is roadworthy at the time of use.

I agree but I think the point was that without being stopped it would show up as  legal on ANPR.

This may make me a snob: but this makes me think of people I see out in Defenders, who wave at me, from heavily modified 90’s, with endless accessories, but that look knackered  - and I end up thinking I’m not sure I want to wave back.

It feels like half of them should be spending their money on making their vehicles roadworthy, they look like people who’s primary thing is enjoy churning up mud or looking like mad max,  rather than laning or land rovers - and I end up thinking ‘I don’t think I have anything in common with you?’.

I imagine the number of near misses that go unreported that happen as result of such unroad worthy vehicles is shocking. 

This truly is a horrific story. I hope that even if just one person reading it goes and rechecks their vehicle and corrects something then atleast some good can come from this. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

When I see a story like this is makes me feel better about having spent an excessive amount of time & money on doing & re-doing parts of the 109 like the brakes & steering to make them as good as they can be despite the fact it's all very modified. I always try to imagine a VOSA accident investigator grilling me about it and whether I'd be able to put my hand on my heart and say it was all up to scratch.

A lot of folks seem to just go with whatever they can get away with, which works until something goes wrong.

@Anderzander I know what you mean, there's definitely different "tribes" in the tent and some of them have an attitude/approach I don't particularly agree with.

Most commonly spotted these days driving a crusty D1 or D2 with no silencer, blowing clouds of diesel smoke around, and a load of eBay accessories + cheap lift kit bolted on despite the fact it would clearly struggle to pass an MOT.

There are times I'm embarressed to drive a D1. Then I remember mines properly maintained, serviced and legal. Every mod is an improvement, most ly based on safety and driveablity. It's my DD and does 15+K a year, with a fair few of those miles carrying my kids. So it must be right

MOT on thursday

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Most commonly spotted these days driving a crusty D1 or D2 with no silencer, blowing clouds of diesel smoke around, and a load of eBay accessories + cheap lift kit bolted on despite the fact it would clearly struggle to pass an MOT.

not forgetting the obligitary high vis jacket, rigger boots & a one life live it sticker

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

But you're forgetting the 6" lift is H-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE because more is betterer innit!

Got more inches of lift than they have brain cells.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

not forgetting the obligitary high vis jacket, rigger boots & a one life live it sticker

Don't forget the Camo trousers and the leather cowboy type hat.

Not that I'd ever stereotype 🤣

Mo

Worst offenders for me are the out of shape beardy types with poetry tattoos, grey jogging suits displaying an arse crack, billowing a trail of cherry vape fumes razzing round in the cheapest lifted disco they can find.   They can't manage trousers with buttons never mind mechanical maintenence.  

Glad its not just me getting old and grumpy 😄

• Like 2