Ideas...

reb78

I have a friend who makes stuff out of metal. he is pretty talented and can make most things with a bit of thought. (It is NOT me - I am not that talented for a start!)

If you wanted something made for your land rover that is hard to get or should be made better, or is stupidly expensive for no good reason, or isn't available but you wish it was, what would it be?

4 minutes ago, reb78 said:

I have a friend who makes stuff out of metal. he is pretty talented and can make most things with a bit of thought. (It is NOT me - I am not that talented for a start!)

If you wanted something made for your land rover that is hard to get or should be made better, or is stupidly expensive for no good reason, or isn't available but you wish it was, what would it be?

lightweight vent panel lol regards Stephen

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vulcan bomber said:

Door hinges that work and you dont have to remortgage your house to buy. Where optimil get the prices from I do not know.

No idea but people buy them and swear they make all the difference...I suppose you have to think that given the money you just spent on them!

1 hour ago, Badger110 said:

No idea but people buy them and swear they make all the difference...I suppose you have to think that given the money you just spent on them!

I do cnc machining for a living, on modern equipment, a hinge is sub 10 minutes work....

I perhaps should point out that 'my friend' (in the original post) is vulcan bomber. I didn't tell him about this thread before in an attempt to gather ideas for him. I have just messaged him... Now he has joined the thread, seems right to declare this as noone is trying to spam here.... 

VB can answer any questions though if the mods are happy to let the thread run. 

On 5/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, daveturnbull said:

Series 3 alternator brackets - a non cast version of the cast ones.

Better still, with PAS pump mounts too, so that the Defender PAS pump and mounts can be fit to Series or Discovery 200Tdis.

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Time to start undercutting the ones on the market then! I like the ATE ones as the screws are all hidden AND they are the profile of the later type stock ones. 

Unfortunately I don't currently have modern machine tools... 

6 minutes ago, paime said:

+1 for hinges that don't cost an absolute fortune! Also, adjustable hinges would be a good improvement to help with door alignment.

Amen to that

3 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

Unfortunately I don't currently have modern machine tools... 

If you can CAD them up I'm sure there's a few CNC shops who'd be glad to do small batches, I have a couple of local-ish ones that have done all sorts for me over the years for very reasonable prices.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If you can CAD them up I'm sure there's a few CNC shops who'd be glad to do small batches, I have a couple of local-ish ones that have done all sorts for me over the years for very reasonable prices.

I can CAD them, and I can machine them myself it just takes longer than it should. Another problem I have is I have no money to outlay to start with.

If enough people are interested then we can collectively come up with a design and I can machine a batch up? I dunno how many forum rules I've just broken there. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Not made of metal, but got metal in them. A few years back I had a long series of conversations with Pilkington glass with regards to making heated door windows  (specifically for Defenders).  Cost for one offs was seriously prohibitive, but imagine being able to demist the windows on a cold morning without having to hold your breath till you pass out or go blue...

Edited by JeffR

18 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

If enough people are interested then we can collectively come up with a design and I can machine a batch up? I dunno how many forum rules I've just broken there. 🤷‍♂️

If you stuck it up on one of the many crowd funding platforms, that would absolve LR4x4 of any responsibility or risk, and there are protections for you and the contributors.

That is, assuming LR4x4 would allow you to post it on here, bit of a different case compared to the groups buys of old which shall never be mentioned....

18 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

I can CAD them, and I can machine them myself it just takes longer than it should. Another problem I have is I have no money to outlay to start with.

My usual guys are used to doing small batches, I often get batches of 20-50 parts done for the sort of money you can easily get out of a cashpoint as they're happy to fit it in around more urgent jobs paying proper money.

I guess the problem is which way do you go - the bling bling hinges which fetch big bucks but are a simpler design, or something that looks more original but is more robust / solves a few problems (my choice).

We've done forum group-buys before for all sorts so I don't see a big problem there as long as everyone understands it's an entirely private venture.