Nice camper, but .......

smallfry

14 hours ago, deep said:

I recall one or two look like that aluminium one and that shouting "look at me" is a good thing for the owners.  Which would be a pain when travelling

I always wonder about thee blingy camper setups especially the 100k+ monsters, anywhere outside affluent Europe or the US you may as well write "RICH WESTERNER - PLEASE ROB ME!" down the side in neon pink.

That and the general vulgarity of rolling into town in a vehicle that's worth more than their GDP.

• Like 3

I saw a Japanese four wheel drive truck which had a camper body vaguely similar to the one in the original post, except it was made our of fibreglass and looked like an upturned boat.  Truly ugly but possible easier to fix when the driver, inevitably, misjudges some low branches and drags a hole in the bodywork.  Either way, the concept is clearly very appealing.  I mean, if you are going to spend a few kazzilions on a flashy camper van, you may as well buy one that gets you to the better campsites!

Though, having said that, I saw a flashy but ordinary camper van yesterday, happily parked on a bit of softish ground very near a couple of bogged Toyota four wheel drives.  The juxtaposition was wonderful!

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

$475k anyone?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/d/encinitas-world-overland-expedition/7516176684.html

Personally I'd favour @qwakers race lorry build and the change in my bank account for adventures.

I like that it needs clarifying what the jack is used for: 

jack for tire changing

:lol: 

15 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I like that it needs clarifying what the jack is used for: 

:lol: 

It is for sale in the us :ph34r: 

Just to give this some perspective $475k doesn't buy you much more than a 60 foot yacht second hand and that will cost you another $20k in mooring fees and essential maintenance each year. Before you go anywhere and put fuel in it. Suddenly it doesn't look so bad :blink:. However it does still look like a grey fire engine :SVAgoaway:.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

Suddenly it looks quite reasonably priced ! 

...and that's why we've got a 127 camper and not a classic VW, even spending 50k on one doesn't guarantee it's not held together with filler, and it'll be rusty again soon enough too. :o

• Like 1

Just back from a few days in Bavaria. Saw quite a few campers based on 4x4 Iveco vans (and one 4x4 Sprinter). Pretty much exactly what several people have advocated on this thread. All matt grey for some reason?!

They looked pretty appealing to me - quite at home on metalled road where I saw them, but perfectly capable of rough tracks. Decent but not excessive size and I guess with a decent load capacity too.

• Like 1

For that money I’d expect a professional finish, not the DIY plywood job with EBay special switches and fuse box and cheap stereo.

Regardless of what the vehicle is capable of, it isn’t a professional job  and Im not saying it doesn’t do the job, or being snobbish about the finish, but for that money I’d expect much more of a refined product with top end fixtures.

To me it screams of someone who has produced something either for themselves to use or on a whim and thought it must be worth a fortune due to the market for extreme Murican Overlanders and thrown a figure out there hoping someone will bite.

I foresee it still for sale in 12 months at half the price…

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Badger110 said:

For that money I’d expect a professional finish, not the DIY plywood job with EBay special switches and fuse box and cheap stereo.

Years ago, before I decided to build my own, I visited a camper conversion shop.  They mostly converted medium sized panel vans.

I was appailed by the fit & finish of their 'show van'.  It was made from cheap chipboard & MDF with edging which didn't quite fit (the groove into which the edging slots was not straight).  The electrical cupboard was a mess with bargain basement components.

I asked how much a van like that would cost and the answer was £50k + VAT and the customer had to supply the van.

My conclusion was that people have low expectations for camper conversions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simonr said:

My conclusion was that people have low expectations for camper conversions.

Before we built the ambulance we did similar - went up to the NEC for the camper & caravan show to do our best "technical spy" bit... and the build quality was shocking, half the stuff on display had cupboard doors that were shagged out or even broken after a day of folks at the show tinkering with them. There's lightweight and there's cheap and flimsy, and it seems most of the companies have chosen the latter.

I'm the proud owner of a T5 caravelle, which was converted to pop top about 10 years ago. In the 10 months I've owned it (and my wife has driven it) I've spent time, virtually every week, sorting out the remaining elements of the conversion. It was carp.

In the file of invoices and paperwork that cam with the vehicle, I have a copy of the origional invoice for the work - namley fit pop top, match up trip, fit aux battery and charger, fit 240 volt hook up. The cost, ten years ago was over £10k. Crazy cost. Mind, they did do a decent job of the hook up.

On 8/17/2022 at 5:33 PM, rusty_wingnut said:

Saw one recently done for 21k, honestly there was probably 5k's worth of kit, and the finish isnt the best - infact the seal on the pop top doesn't even seal...

Don't get me started on that

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, Ed Poore said:

the "off-road" trip I helped guide around Scotland.

Very good post that Ed..

On the Scottish tours - I’ve looked at a few and fancied taking the 80” on one (when I had the time to get there and back in it). The only thing that put me off was they look to be quite big groups - and I guess I’ve become accustomed to mainly driving and laning on my own.

You have though painted them in a nice light - I had imagined stag do’s or corporate exercises. Would you have any wisdom to share on them ? 

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Very good post that Ed..

On the Scottish tours - I’ve looked at a few and fancied taking the 80” on one (when I had the time to get there and back in it). The only thing that put me off was they look to be quite big groups - and I guess I’ve become accustomed to mainly driving and laning on my own.

You have though painted them in a nice light - I had imagined stag do’s or corporate exercises. Would you have any wisdom to share on them ? 

I can only speak based on the experience I have from helping out my mate a handful of times.

They are bigger groups than a typical laning group (in this instance with "staff" vehicles) we were 12 (10 clients) there's no denying that. Unfortunately this is just down to economics - I quizzed my mate on it a few years back and his break even point is 6 vehicles - if he gets 6 vehicles on a trip then that covers his costs for a single trip (his fuel, accommodation, food and entry to the estates). Bear in mind that entry to estates can vary from a hamper at Christmas to several £100s per vehicle for a single days access.

When I've helped out I'm usually at the back of the convoy on the road or at the front (or infront of the least capable / most inexperienced vehicle) on the more challenging tracks. There's a fair amount of road driving involved but I've not usually found the convoy size to be an issue, we're often being held up by other tourists. Once we're on the track it's irrelevant because all of them are private in Scotland so apart from the land owners or estate workers we don't meet anyone in a vehicle. If we do and they don't have permission then they're trespassing as simple as that, we're usually forewarned of any other vehicles on the tracks. My mate has worked hard to secure these permissions (it's taken 20 odd years of going back and forth to Scotland from the South) so he works his socks off to keep them. For example on one estate we met as we came down off the hill a kid on a motocross bike, that was immediately reported to the estate factor and they confirmed he didn't have permission thanked us profusely for doing so. 

In terms of the group dynamic it largely depends on the clients but in the 20 odd years the number of bad eggs is very small, only a few. He's normally pretty good at weeding out people who want to off-road rather than "see Scotland off the road". Bear in mind there's a hell of a lot of road driving compared to tracks because Scotland is so big, the stuff on the tarmacced roads is often more spectacular and the route chosen tends to be off the beaten path and even more so.

Historically the trips were 2 weeks and predominately French, Italians and Swiss. He didn't like taking Brits, Germans or the Dutch because unfortunately they tended to fall into the category of wanting to tear up the country side and off-road. COVID changed that and he had to take on British clients, as such it's a 5 day tour now but you still see a lot of Scotland as well, just with less "touristy" stops (e.g. going on a boat trip around Skye).

Honestly the size of the group makes it work as well, everyone has a whale of a time in camp in the evening and there's enough people that no one feels left out.

Feel free to ask more questions via PM if you want but I'd best not derail this thread any further... 

(PS it's definitely worth doing it! Just let me know when because I'd love to see a Series 1 going around).

• Like 3