Decent Interior Lights - In this case - me 90

Hybrid_From_Hell

Went to fill up the 90 tonight ( OK ...not a rare thing :P )

On the way home light fuse went "Ping", moved up onto the verge F pronto, as the sealed beams

don't excatly fill you with confidence and thats when both are working.

Since fitting the Truck cab (no headlining) the interior lamp is no more (erm drove over it :lol:)

so I was on the verge in a pitch blank interior.

The only thing I could find was....a lighter :rofl:

Anyway, I did get home and didn't set fire to anything, but it can't go on

need something that will be a decent interior light, not a map reading light

and something easy to fit and cheap, with decent 12v output.

That excludes the mouses torch that was the standard interior lamp :(

Thoughts, looked in demon sqweeks and nothing jumps out ? -

who has fitted what and from where and how much

Can't wait too long, the lighter low on fuel now :lol:

Nige

I am in the same situation, truck cab with no headlining, and have been looking at some LED options. VWP do one, on the bottom of this page:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/lighting/interior.php

I think it is designed to mount into a surface, ie headlining...but someone of your calibre would be able to accommodate that I should think? :P

LEDs attract me as they are low wattage, so less chance of flattening the old battery :)

Don't know meself, but I am doing a VWP order tomorrow for some wiring bits so might chuck one on there and see how it does :unsure:

There are plenty of other companies on eBay and the like who sell LED strip lighting, and with it being so low wattage (one I saw was 1.4W per foot of strip light), you could coat the roof in it before reaching the wattage of the standard bulb (21W in mine).

I have 3x 12v LED inspection lights - about 60 LED's in each one, clipped into a tool holder clip or quick fist. Chuck out loads of light, and I left a bit of cable on the end (bundled up in a quick fist) so they can be unclipped and used for poking about in and around the truck. Cost about £10 each. One would happily do a truck cab.

Being LED you can leave them on for weeks with no problems about battery power.

I have a twin tube fluorescent lamp, it provides plenty of light, doesn't take much power and I've had no issues with vibration problems. It's mounted at the back of the cab so it lights up the whole of teh interior without dazzling you.

You can pick them up cheap from caravan spares places.

....Nothing.....

The head torch is the one I carry everywhere. It works independant from the car electrics (which I always assume to be disposable) and you have your hands free to do whatever.

Oh, is this to go with your headlining? Something else I havent got...

Daan

I replaced the interior light in the 110 with LED strip light from Maplins, its basically white leds fitted into a self adhesive strip, uses something silly like 1 watt! i have two strips, one in the back about 60cm and a small one in the front about 20cm, they run off the same power source but are on seperate switches.

alltogether it cost me about 50 quid for everything, you can buy the strips in sections of 3 LED's for about 1.30 a section.

they're great as they use tiny amounts of power, have no moving parts to go wrong (other than a bad solder) weigh nothing and take up no space!

it's really bright now, like having a flourescent tube in the back! i'll put some pics on later after dark if anyone wants to see?

:)

there are cheap led replacement units on ebay that use an adapter to replace the interior light bulb you then have a 12" double wire with a strip of leds on a sticky pad on the end the ones i have in the disco have 24 leds eachi have one in the front and one in the rear give an amazing ammount of light in the car almost as bright as daylight i think they were about 7 quid each

My favourite option would be one of the products on this page;

Grote Lighting

We were using the larger ones in the back of ambulances- they are bright, reliable and give a good even light.

Unfortunately I'm not sure who carrys them for retail sale- I'd expect one of the truck parts distributors (Commercial body fittings, Albert Jagger etc) ought to.

IKEA sell strips of LEDs for under kitchen cabinet lighting... I think its about £16 for a set of 4 x 30cm strips...

they are 12 volt and draw tiny amounts of power, and becasue they are flat strips you can stick it to the inside of your roof panel with industrial strength double sided tape...

IKEA sell strips of LEDs for under kitchen cabinet lighting... I think its about £16 for a set of 4 x 30cm strips...

they are 12 volt and draw tiny amounts of power, and becasue they are flat strips you can stick it to the inside of your roof panel with industrial strength double sided tape...

Try £40 odd quid.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00119419

I'd be tempted except for the price.

BnQ also sell the same thing, though for the same price range.

Regarding the LED lights from VWP did I see someone on here do a write up about there installation of them?

not a map reading light

and something easy to fit and cheap,

Nige mate :)

what's wrong with a map light?

I didn't fit the lining when I switched to TC,

I have a Hella map read. light on the passenger side which works great (it's the longer version so you can twist and point it towards your side).

Oh, and a Maglite

;)

Alternatively I'd go for the sticky, round LED lights used for tents and kids bedrooms.

I recently bought some LED lights from habitat - they were flogging off some boxes of three smart metal cased flush lamps, and each lamp has about 12 LED's in it. I noticed that they were 240v, but used a transformer to bring the voltage down to 12V so have used them in the camper, wired in without the transformer - throw out plenty of light, use almost no current, and the box of three lamps was only a fiver :)

if your running out of lighter fuel what about a parrafin lamp?!

i had a few of those push lights at choice locations and a torch in dash and that seemed to do alright. and one of those camping lights in the back-although i did contemplate fitting some cheap "work lights" as a more permenant fixture.

I have a strip of the sticky-back LEDs mounted in my hardtop, on the underside of the "internal gutter" above the back door. It's plenty bright enough for camping trips:

post-277-125919019499_thumb.jpg

post-277-125919015385_thumb.jpg

I noticed that Dalai Llama had a three strips of LEDs inside his 110CSW (two along the back, one across behind the front seats) - very very effective at lighting up the inside but it did look like he was growing weed in it... :hysterical: