Would YOU buy a modified vehicle ?

smallfry

Following on from the Relacement parts and continuing problems thread and my disillusionment with the Rover V8 thread.................

Would YOU buy a modified Land Rover ? I dont mean with a few extras added, but REALLY modified. Stuff like radically altered suspension, Alien engines gearboxes axles etc Chipped smokey diesels and the like ?

For my part I probably wouldnt for mainly two reasons.

Firstly, I actually enjoy changing things around myself and some things are just too radical, but secondly, and more importantly, I am always suspicious of other peoples workmanship.

Just wondering really how much are you inhibiting your chances of selling if you had/wanted to ?

.... insurance is a prime one ..... that question .... is it standard from the factory? ... followed by ... list the modifications....

If you have not done them yourself, the second one can be difficult to answer fully , and I'm not sure if you had a serious accident and if they were looking for a get out clause (similar to life insurance claims) if they found something you had not listed if they would still payout?

to answer the question... probably not, but there are many reasons which affect the opinion, as one project is enough for me (SWMBO would have a fit)

inhibiting the chances of selling it -> someone will always buy something if the price is low enough (or they perceive it as low enough) + desirable to their needs .... it may take a while for you to find a buyer or for you to establish a market price for it, but there will always be someone who will buy it. ... make money on it -> probably not unless you can customise it to the finish of an Icon, Kahn, etc and find a buyer (some of the costs of those are just crackers for what they are.... who actually pays those prices?)

I too am instinctively suspicious of the workmanship/parts-choices of others. And I'd rarely if ever pay more-than-stock-vehicle-price for any 'radically modified' vehicle unless I knew/saw documented authenticity of all the parts used and knew the skill of the person who fitted them.

It's too easy to assemble a "Bitsa" vehicle that's likely to steer/stop like a Teflon-coated-elephant-on-ice [i detest on-road use of vehicles with silly suspension-lifts or oversized off-road tyres] and which will also have a VOSA inspector's eyes light up if you're ever pulled over on a roadside stop or if HMRC come round wondering just how a supposedly tax-exempt Land-Rover has a 1996 Discovery chassis, 5-speed transmission, coil-suspension, disc-braked axles, one-piece windscreen and a TD5 engine.

OTOH I do know someonw who works as a prototyping-engineer at BAe Filton and his Defender has some really rather subtle but brilliantly-engineered tweaks - like constant-velocity joints on both propshafts (which reduce high-speed noise/vibration/harshness) and a microprocessor-controlled "radiator blind" that diverts air away from the radiator and into the intercooler unless bulk-coolant-temperatures exceed 100 Centigrade.

I have never really found insurance to be a problem. Even back when I had a Rover V8 in a Triumph Herald, or a Chevy 327 in an Opel Manta, even less so now that I am OLD, but i do understand what you mean about them having a get out clause, but TBH wouldnt this apply to virtually EVERY land Rover out there, if they wanted to push the point ? Theres bound to be something you have forgotten to declare, even if its pretty basic.

It's too easy to assemble a "Bitsa" vehicle that's likely to steer/stop like a Teflon-coated-elephant-on-ice [i detest on-road use of vehicles with silly suspension-lifts or oversized off-road tyres] and which will also have a VOSA inspector's eyes light up if you're ever pulled over on a roadside stop or if HMRC come round wondering just how a supposedly tax-exempt Land-Rover has a 1996 Discovery chassis, 5-speed transmission, coil-suspension, disc-braked axles, one-piece windscreen and a TD5 engine.

Are you sure you are not my favourite neighbour ??? Doesnt every old Landy have those things ?

I can never understand why CV propshafts never caught on, although I had a Rover SD1 and a Triumph Spitire that had one

I would quite happily......

BUT:

Only if it was pretty much what I was after and obviously was substantially cheaper than buying it in kit form.

I would then systematicly go through it making sure I was happy with the workmanship and rectifying anything I wasn't happy with whilst carrying out a full service regardless of the ' full service and inspection blaa blaa 2 months ago...'

Will.

I understand the concerns regarding insurance, but the insurance company do not have a get out clause if you fail to declare a modification you weren't aware of. Obviously claiming you thought 40" tyres were standard on RRC when you own a fleet of other modified 4x4s isn't going to cut it, but not knowing about non-obvious mods done by a previous owner is a different ball game.

I did but I knew the vehicles for some years before hand and the quality was excellent. The only problem with the last one was the LR quality chassis!!!!!Each motor has been upgraded (in my eyes) since purchase and I know what was used in each of them going forward.

I would never sell a motor to anyone if they did not know exactly what it was and knew what they were getting in to.

Any modified motor is a problem if you did not build it what ever the quality for a number of reasons.

Marc.

I wish sometimes the amount of time, money and faffing my build has taken ( Is taking :ph34r: ), I wish I had just bought one already done...

That said.......................

Given I'm a fussy git, and somewhat picky some might say @nal about how I do things, I would never be happy, so would end up dong it again

Also I know exactly what has been used, and where its come from.

And......

I've only myself to blame if it goes wrong :rofl:

As others really I guess, I would providing that I was either happy that I knew the vehicle and who had built it or it was cheap enough that the component parts would cost more second hand. A few challenge motors came up a couple of years ago that fell into that category but they are few and far between now as many "modified" vehicles are just standard vehicles with lots of bolt on bling that are overpriced because the owner thinks the bits they bolted on are worth what they paid for them.

I've always tried to buy the most standard vehicles I can and then modify them myself with a chassis up rebuild so I know every part is sound and I know what compromises have been made and where.

I often get asked this question by people starting trials competitions and my advice (not always heeded) is to ignore the modified vehicles, get something standard and solid, put some tyres on it and compete. When you find you need to modify it you'll then know why you are modifying it and what difference it made when you did.

It would depend on what vehicle it was for example. I do like to do the mods myself as I too am very fussy about what has been done & how well. There are land rovers for sale that are basically sheds with mud tyres & a winch bumper & the owner thinks its worth a fortune so you have to watch out. If it was done well & tastefully done to a good solid vehicle then I would buy a modified one. Same as I would buy a modified RS6 for example that has been remapped, brake upgrades etc, but I would be looking to buy from a known forum member in most if possible. In fact I did buy a modified RRC from a forum member on here some years back & it was a good solid vehicle, but I did buy it as a donor vehicle.

No way, cars should be like women virgins as far as modifications go!

I say this after seeing god knows how many F ups in doing some simple rust repairs on my Disco.

Stroll on if you think I would buy someone else's wreck on wheels.

No way, cars should be like women virgins as far as modifications go!

I say this after seeing god knows how many F ups in doing some simple rust repairs on my Disco.

Stroll on if you think I would buy someone else's wreck on wheels.

You've been in my garage peeking have you !! :ph34r:

You've been in my garage peeking have you !! :ph34r:

Well now you mention it Les.

But if you drag your heels any longer Will Warne will have retired and beat you to the finish line :) could make an exception for your truck though, it will one day be very amazing and that rip snorting 200Tdi will make light work of turning them 44" tyres :P

The truck my mate's just bought is modified to the nines, was the previous owner's pride and joy, and it shows. It's worth more in bits than what he paid, and a really well-sorted truck to boot. On the flip side, my capri was fiddled with by an idiot, who put a 24v cossie engine in it - badly. I think I've spent nearly as much fuxing his fickups as I paid for it in the first place. But bugger me does it go, and put a grin on my face, even when it won't go at all. In fact, I'd probably do it again, even knowing what I know now.

So, yeah, I buy modified things, and although it's rarely a good idea, I like it!

A definite "no" for me. Mods seldom suit another owner anyway, but I also have concerns over quality issues, and many mods have adverse effects, and multiple mods often interfere with each other, so knowing what had been done and how would be too much of an issue. But I think mods are also a kind of signature, so I'd rather do my own.

My old 200Tdi Discovery was modified when I got it and it was fine. And all the toys paid for themselves when I took it off the road to act as a donor for my 110. I would do it again but I wouldn't pay over the top for one. I knew the parts were worth more than the car if I sold them so I was happy to pay what I paid.

But there are mods and there are botches. I have been lucky at the only botch I have come across was a deliberately hidden f**k up when a headgasket was previously replaced. Inlet and exhaust valves were swapped over, head was cracked, a dent in the 1st piston etc. I would worry about poor maintenance over having a modded vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope definitely not-as I once told someone else who was thinking of doing the same "Do you really wanting to be sorting bodges to the cows come home or chasing someone else's work when you can do it to your own high standard rather than their's"?

John